Toward early warning against Internet worms based on critical-sized networks
Article first published online: 21 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Security and Communication Networks
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 78–88, January 2013
How to Cite
Magkos, E., Avlonitis, M., Kotzanikolaou, P. and Stefanidakis, M. (2013), Toward early warning against Internet worms based on critical-sized networks. Security Comm. Networks, 6: 78–88. doi: 10.1002/sec.534
- Issue published online: 26 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 21 MAR 2012
- 1Internet quarantine: requirements for containing self-propagating code. Twenty-Second Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, INFOCOM 2003., IEEE, 2003; 1901–1910., , , .
- 2A taxonomy of computer worms. WORM'03: Proceedings of the 2003 ACM workshop on Rapid malcode, ACM: New York, NY, USA, 2003; 11–18., , , .
- 3How to own the internet in your spare time. Proceedings of the 11th USENIX Security Symposium, USENIX Association: Berkeley, CA, USA, 2002; 149–167., , .
- 4Cisco. Cisco 2010 Annual Security Report June 2010. URL http://www.cisco.com.
- 5Symantec Security Response. W32.Stuxnet Dossier Version 1.4 (February 2011) February 2011. URL http://www.symantec.com.
- 7Stuxnet'' worm far more sophisticated than previously thought. Krebs on Security; URL http://krebsonsecurity.com..
- 9An efficient architecture and algorithm for detecting worms with various scan techniques. NDSS''04: Proceedings of the 11th Annual Network and Distributed System Security Symposium, 2004., , , .
- 10Measuring network-aware worm spreading ability. 26th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications, INFOCOM 2007, IEEE, 2007; 116–124., .
- 11Warhol worms: The potential for very fast Internet Plagues, http://www.iwar.org.uk/comsec/resources/worms/warhol-worm.htm 2001..
- 12Code red worm propagation modeling and analysis. CCS'02: Proceedings of the 9th ACM conference on Computer and communications security, ACM: New York, NY, USA, 2002; 138–147., , .
- 14Modeling the spread of active worms. 22nd Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications INFOCOM 2003, IEEE, 2003; 1890–1900., , .
- 15Understanding localized-scanning worms. Proceedings of the 26th IEEE International Performance Computing and Communications Conference, IPCCC 2007, April 11–13, 2007, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA., IEEE Computer Society, 2007; 186–193., , .
- 16Preliminary results using scale-down to explore worm dynamics. WORM'04: Proceedings of the 2004 ACM workshop on Rapid malcode, ACM: New York, NY, USA, 2004; 65–72., , , .
- 17The effect of DNS delays on worm propagation in an IPv6 Internet. Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, 2005., , , .
- 18Computer virus propagation models. In MASCOTS Tutorials, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 2965, Springer: Berlin, 2003; 26–50., .
- 20Monitoring and early warning for Internet worms. Proceedings of the 10th ACM conference on Computer and communications security, ACM CCS 2003, ACM: New York, NY, USA, 2003; 190–199., , , .
- 21Understanding threats: a prerequisite to enhance survivability of computing systems. International Journal of Critical Infrastructures (IJCIS) 2008; 4(1): 153–171., , .
- 22A granularity-adaptive system for in-network attack detection. Proceedings of the IEEE/IST Workshop on Monitoring, Attack Detection and Mitigation, 2006; 47–50., , .
- 23A novel stochastic approach for modeling random scanning worms. 13th Panhellenic Conference on Informatics—PCI 2009, 12–14 Sep. 2009, Corfu, Greece., IEEE Computer Society, 2009; 176–179., , , .
- 24Directed-graph epidemiological models of computer viruses. IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, 1991; 343–361., .
- 26Effects of security solutions on worm propagation. International Symposium on Telecommunications, IST 2008, IEEE, 2008; 25–29., , .
- 27The effect of network topology on the spread of epidemics. 24th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, INFOCOM 2005., IEEE, 2005; 1455–1466., , .
- 28Worm propagation modeling and analysis under dynamic quarantine defense. WORM'03: Proceedings of the 2003 ACM workshop on Rapid malcode, ACM: New York, NY, USA, 2003; 51–60., , .
- 29Treating scalability and modelling human countermeasures against local preference worms via gradient models. Journal in Computer Virology 2009; 5(4): 357–371., , , .
- 30Worm detection, early warning and response based on local victim information. IEEE 20th Annual Computer Security Application Conference, IEEE Computer Society, 2004., , , , , .
- 31Modeling the effects of timing parameters on virus propagation. WORM'03: Proceedings of the 2003 ACM workshop on Rapid malcode, ACM: New York, NY, USA, 2003; 61–66., .
- 32The impact of stochastic variance on worm propagation and detection. WORM'06: Proceedings of the 4th ACM workshop on Recurring malcode, ACM: New York, NY, USA, 2006; 57–64..
- 35Know your enemy 2010. URL http://honeynet.org..
- 36CAIDA. The cooperative association for internet data analysis 2010. URL http://www.caida.org/home/.
- 37ISC. Internet storm center 2010. URL http://isc.sans.org/.
- 38The spread of the code-red worm (crv2). Cooperative Association for Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA): analysis: security: code red),[online] 30 July 30 2001, http://www. caida. org/analysis/security/codered/coderedv2_analysis. xml (Accessed 2005; 3., .
- 39Network telescopes: observing small or distant security events. Proceedings of the 11th USENIX security symposium, 2002..
- 40A distributed framework for the detection of new worm-related malware. Proceedings of the 1st European Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics, Springer, 2008; 190., , .
- 41Intrusion detection systems: a survey and taxonomy. Technical Report Technical Report 99–15, Department of Computer Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg, Sweden 2000..
- 42LISABETH: automated content-based signature generator for zero-day polymorphic worms. Proceedings of the fourth international workshop on Software engineering for secure systems, ACM: New York, NY, USA, 2008; 41–48., , , .
- 43On computer viral infection and the effect of immunization. ACSAC'00: Proceedings of the 16th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference, IEEE Computer Society: Washington, DC, USA, 2000; 246., , .
- 46Noise-induced Transitions. Springer Series in Synergetics 2004; 15., .
- 47Synergetics: Introduction and Advanced Topics. Springer: Berlin, 2004..
- 52Mobile location tracking in metro areas: malnets and others. Proceedings of the 17th ACM conference on Computer and communications security, ACM, 2010; 85–96., .
- 53Soundcomber: a stealthy and context-aware sound trojan for smartphones. Proceedings of the 18th Annual Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 2011; 17–33., , , , , .
- 54PandaLabs. Quarterly report PandaLabs (July-September 2010) June 2010. URL http://prensa.pandasecurity.com.
- 55An inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of internet miscreants. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), 2007., , , .