The copyright line for this article was changed on 5 March 2015, after original online publication.
Special Issue Paper
Integrating security mechanisms into embedded systems by domain-specific modelling
Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Security and Communication Networks published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Security and Communication Networks
Volume 7, Issue 12, pages 2815–2832, December 2014
How to Cite
2014), Integrating security mechanisms into embedded systems by domain-specific modelling, Security Comm. Networks, 7, 2815–2832, doi: 10.1002/sec.819, , , and (
- Issue online: 27 NOV 2014
- Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2013
- 1Secure System Development with UML. Springer-Verlag: Berlin Heidelberg, 2005..
- 2Automated encapsulation of UML activities for incremental development and verification, International Conference on Model Driven Engineering, Languages and Systems (MoDELS), LNCS, Denver, CO, USA, Springer, 2009; 571–585., .
- 3Domain-Specific Modeling: Enabling Full Code Generation. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: Hoboken, New Jersey, 2008., .
- 4The SecFutur project: design of secure and energy-efficient embedded systems for future Internet application. www.secfutur.eu, last visited May 2013.
- 5Engineering reactive systems: a compositional and model-driven method based on collaborative building blocks. Ph.D. Thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, August 2008..
- 7Engineering android applications based on UML activities, Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems (MODELS), LNCS, Wellington, New Zealand, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2011; 183–197..
- 8An ontology of information security. In Journal of Techniques and Applications for Advanced Information Privacy and Security. IGI Global: Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA, 2007; 1–23., , .
- 9Security asset elicitation for collaborative models, Model-Driven Security Workshop (MDSec) in Conjunction with MoDELS, ACM Digital Library (DL), Innsbruck, Austria, 2012; 7–13., , , .
- 10MagicDraw. www.magicdraw.com, last visited May 2013.
- 11HermiT Reasoner. www.hermit-reasoner.com, last visited February 2013.
- 12Acceleo. www.eclipse.org/acceleo/, last visited February 2013.
- 13ISO/IEC 12207:2008. Systems and software engineering – Software life cycle processes.
- 14Object Management Group. UML Profile for MARTE: modeling and analysis of real-time embedded systems, version 1.1, June 2011. Document number: formal/2011-06-02.
- 15Reactive semantics for distributed UML activities. In Formal Techniques for Distributed Systems (FMOODS/FORTE), LNCS. Springer-Verlag: Berlin, Heidelberg, 2010; 17–31., .
- 16Towards the integration of security aspects into system development using collaboration-oriented models. In International Conference on Security Technology (SecTech), Ślȩzak D, hoon Kim T, Fang W, Arnett K (eds), Communications in Computer and Information Science. Springer: Berlin Heidelberg, 2009; 72–85., , .
- 18Compositional verification of application-level security properties. In Engineering Secure Software and Systems (essos), LNCS. Springer–Verlag: Berlin Heidelberg, 2013; 75–90., .
- 19Formalizing information security knowledge, ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS), ACM, 2009; 183–194., .
- 20Object Management Group. Unified modeling language: superstructure, version 2.4.1, August 2011. Document number: formal/2011-08-06.
- 21Experiences of applying uml/marte on three industrial projects, Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems, (MoDELS), Innsbruck, Austria, Springer, 2012; 642–658., , , .
- 22CoFluent methodology for UML. cofluent design, white paper 2010., .
- 23Model Driven Engineering for Distributed Real-Time Systems: MARTE modelling, Model Transformations and Their Usages, chap. Software Model-based Performance Analysis. Wiley Online Library: London: ISTE, 2010..
- 24Support for cross-domain composition of embedded systems using MARTE models. Submitted 2013., .
- 25A review of UML model comparison approaches, Nordic Workshop on Model Driven Engineering, Ronneby, Sweden, 2007..
- 26Diff and merge support for model based development, Workshop on Comparison and Versioning of Software Models (CVSM), Leipzig, Germany, ACM, 2008; 31–34., .
- 27EMF Compare. www.eclipse.org/emf/compare/, last visited April 2013.
- 28SiDiff. http://pi.informatik.uni-siegen.de/sidiff/, last visited May 2013.
- 30OMAP3530. www.ti.com, last visited Feburary 2013.
- 31ADE7758: poly phase multifunction energy metering ic with per phase information. www.analog.com, last visited Feburary 2013.
- 32Model-Based Security Analysis in Seven Steps – a Guided Tour to the CORAS Method. Springer-Verlag: Berlin and Heidelberg, 2007., , , , .
- 33Tamper resistance mechanisms for secure embedded systems, International Conference on VLSI Design, Mumbai, India, IEEE, 2004; 605–611., , .
- 34Ontology Language Manchester Syntax. www.w3.org/TR/owl2-manchester-syntax/, last visited April 2013.
- 35Introduction to Algorithms, 2nd edn. The MIT Press and McGraw-Hill Book Company: Cambridge, MA, USA, 2001., , , .
- 36Security Patterns: Integrating Security and Systems Engineering. John Wiley & Sons: West Sussex, England, 2005., , , , .
- 37Enforcing S&D pattern design in RCES with modeling and formal approaches, ACM/IEEE International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems (MoDELS), Wellington, New Zealand, 2011; 319–333., , , .
- 38An aspect-oriented methodology for designing secure applications, 2009., , , , , .
- 39SecureUML: a UML-based modeling language for model-driven security, International Conference on the Unified Modeling Language (UML), Dresden, Germany, 2002; 426–441., , .
- 40AVATAR: a SysML environment for the formal verification of safety and security properties, IEEE International Conference on New Technologies of Distributed Systems (NOTERE), 2011., , .
- 41A methodology for the analysis and modeling of security threats and attacks for systems of embedded components, Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Processing (PDP), Pisa, Italy, IEEE Computer Society, 2012; 261–268., , , , , .
- 42Model-based security and dependability patterns in RCES – the TERESA approach, International Workshop on Security and Dependability for Resource Constrained Embedded Systems (S&D4RCES), Vienna, Austria, ACM, 2010., , , .
- 43Integrating security modeling into embedded system design, IEEE International Conference and Workshops on the Engineering of Computer-Based Systems (ECBS), Tucson, Arizona, USA, 2007; 221–228., , , .
- 44Modeling security aspects in distributed real-time component-based embedded systems, International Conference on Information Technology: New Generations (ITNG), Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 2012; 43–444., .
- 45What are ontologies and why do we need them? In Intelligent Systems. IEEE: NJ, USA, 1999; 20–26., , .
- 46Model Driven Engineering and Ontology Development, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag: Berlin Heidelberg, 2009., , .
- 48Software Product Lines: Practices and Patterns, The SEI Series in Software Engineering. Addison–Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc.: Boston, MA, USA., 2001., .