Behavioral and cognitive factors in entrepreneurship: entrepreneurs as the active element in new venture creation
Article first published online: 21 NOV 2007
Copyright © 2007 Strategic Management Society
Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal
Volume 1, Issue 1-2, pages 167–182, November 2007
How to Cite
Baron, R. A. (2007), Behavioral and cognitive factors in entrepreneurship: entrepreneurs as the active element in new venture creation. Strat.Entrepreneurship J., 1: 167–182. doi: 10.1002/sej.12
- Issue published online: 12 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 21 NOV 2007
- 1999. Organizations Evolving. Sage: London.
- 2005. How entrepreneurs organize firms under conditions of uncertainty. Journal of Management 31: 776–793. ,
- 2003. A theory of entrepreneurial opportunity identification and development. Journal of Business Venturing 18: 105–124. , ,
- 2005. Social capital. In The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management: Entrepreneurship HittMA and IrelandRD (eds). Blackwell: Oxford, UK; 224–226.
- 2006a. Entrepreneurship: a process perspective. In The Psychology of Entrepreneurship BaumR, FreseM, BaronRA (eds). Erlbaum: Mahwah, NJ; 19–40.
- 2006b. Opportunity recognition as pattern recognition: how entrepreneurs ‘connect the dots’ to recognize new business opportunities. Academy of Management Perspectives 20: 104–119.
- 2008. The role of affect in the entrepreneurial process. Academy of Management Review (forthcoming).
- 2008. Social Psychology (12th edn). Allyn and Bacon: Boston, MA. , ,
- 2006. Opportunity recognition as the detection of meaningful patterns: evidence from comparisons of novice and experienced entrepreneurs. Management Science 52: 1331–1344. ,
- 2000. Beyond social capital: the role of social skills in entrepreneurs' success. Academy of Management Executive 14: 106–116. ,
- 2003. Beyond social capital: the role of entrepreneursapos; social competence in their financial success. Journal of Business Venturing 18: 41–60. ,
- 2007. Entrepreneursapos; social skills and new venture performance: mediating mechanisms and cultural generality. Journal of Management (in press). ,
- 2004. The relationship of entrepreneurial traits, skill, and motivation to subsequent venture growth. Journal of Applied Psychology 89: 587–598. ,
- 2001. A multidimensional model of venture growth. Academy of Management Journal 44: 292–303. , ,
- 2003. Cooperation, competition, and team performance: toward a contingency approach. Academy of Management Journal 46: 572–590. , , , , ,
- 1995. Social capital at the top: effects of social similarity and status on CEO compensation. Academy of Management Journal 39: 1568–1593. , ,
- 1975. Notes on the Cinematrographer, ‘1950–1958: The Real.’ Green Integer: Paris.
- 1997. The role of motivated reasoning in optimistic time predictions. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 23: 238–247. , ,
- 2000. Personality, social activities, job search behavior and interview success: distinguishing between PANAS trait positive affect and NEO extraversion. Motivation and Emotion 24: 51–62. ,
- 2006. Cognition and capabilities in entrepreneurial ventures. In The Psychology of Entrepreneurship BaumR, FreseM, BaronRA (eds). Erlbaum: Mahwah, NJ; 31–50. ,
- 1997. Differences between entrepreneurs and managers in large organizations: biases and heuristics in strategic decision-making. Journal of Business Venturing 12: 9–30. ,
- 2007. Entrepreneurship. New York: Wiley. ,
- 2007. New venture teams. In Entrepreneurship: The Engine of Growth, Vol. 2, ZacharakisA, SpinelliSJr. (eds). Praeger: Westport, CT: 65–85.
- 2006. Tacit information, practical intelligence, and expertise. In The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance EricssonKA, CharnessN, FeltovichPJ, HoffmanRR (eds). Cambridge University Press: New York: 613–632. , , ,
- 2005. The vulcanization of the human brain: a neural perspective on interactions between cognition and emotion. Journal of Economic Perspectives 19: 3–24.
- 1999. A 5-year study of change in the relationship between well-being and job performance. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research 51: 252–265. ,
- 2003. Neural components of social evaluation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 85: 639–649. , , , ,
- 2003. The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs. Journal of Business Venturing 18: 301–331. ,
- 2002. Very happy people. Psychological Science 13: 81–84. Direct Link:,
- 2006. A theory of unconscious thought. Perspectives on Psychological Science 1: 95–109. Direct Link:,
- 2000. Common regions of the human frontal lobe recruited to diverse cognitive demands. Trends in Cognitive Science 23: 475–483. ,
- 2001. Age, order of entry, strategic orientation, and organizational performance. Journal of Business Venturing 16: 471–494. ,
- 2006. The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance. Cambridge University Press: New York; 41–67. , , , (eds).
- 2001. Interaction of social skills and general mental ability on job performance and salary. Journal of Applied Psychology 86: 1075–1082. , ,
- 2004. Systematic search by repeat entrepreneurs. In Opportunity Identification and Entrepreneurial Behavior, ButlerJE (ed). Information Age Publishing: Greenwich, CT; 1–27. , ,
- 1998. On feeling good and getting your way: mood effects on negotiating strategies and outcomes. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 75: 565–577.
- 2000. Feeling and Thinking: Affective Influences on Social Cognition. Cambridge University Press: New York. (ed).
- 2001. The role of positive emotions in positive psychology: the broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions. American Psychologist 56: 218–226.
- 1992. Feeling good—doing good: a conceptual analysis of the mood at work—organizational spontaneity relationship. Psychological Bulletin 112: 310–329. ,
- 1989. The entrepreneurial way with information. In Applied Behavioural Economics, Vol. II, MaitalS (ed). Wheatsheaf Books: Brighton, UK; 480–503. , ,
- 2008. Behavior in Organizations (9th edn). Prentice-Hall: Upper Saddle River, NJ. ,
- 2004. The Dark Side of Organizational Behavior. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, CA. , (eds).
- 1994. Emotional Contagion. Cambridge University Press: New York. , ,
- 1998. Successful entrepreneurs' insights into opportunity recognition. In Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research ZahraSA, BishCG, DavidssonP, FietJO, GreenePG, HarrisonRT, LernerM, MasonC, ShepherdD, SohlJ, WiklundJ, WrightM (eds). Babson College: Wellsley, MA; 30–43. ,
- 2006. The interaction of social skill and organizational support on job performance. Journal of Applied Psychology 91: 482–489. , , ,
- 2007. Political skill as neutralizer of felt accountability—job tension effects on job performance ratings: a longitudinal investigation. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 102: 226–239. , , , , ,
- 1983. The influence of positive affect on decision-making strategy. Social Cognition 2: 18–31. ,
- 2006. Doing better but feeling worse. Psychological Science 17: 143–150. Direct Link:, ,
- 1990. Motivation theory and industrial and organizational psychology. In Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (2nd edn), DunnetteM, HoughG (eds). Consulting Psychologists Press: Palo Alto, CA; 76–170.
- 1985. Discovery and the Capitalist Process. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL.
- 1999. Social Cognition: Making Sense of People. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA.
- 2006. Work in the 21st Century (2nd edn). Blackwell Publishing: New York. ,
- 2003. Essentials of Negotiation (3rd edn). McGraw Hill: New York. , , ,
- 2006. Measuring emergence in the dynamics of new venture creation. Journal of Business Venturing 21: 153–175. , ,
- 2008. Influence of founder CEOsapos; personal values on firm performance: moderating effects of firm age and size. Journal of Management (forthcoming). , ,
- 2005. The benefits of frequent positive affect: does happiness lead to success? Psychological Bulletin 131: 803–855. , ,
- 2004. Cognition. John Wiley and Sons: New York.
- 2004. How knowledge affects opportunity discovery and exploitation among new ventures in dynamic markets? In Opportunity Identification and Entrepreneurial Behavior, ButlerJE (ed). Information Age Publishing: Greenwich, CT; 219–239. ,
- 2006. Entrepreneurial action and the role of uncertainty in the theory of the entrepreneurs. Academy of Management Review 31: 132–152. ,
- 2004. When science divests itself of its conservative stance: the case of risk propensity differences between entrepreneurs and managers. Journal of Applied Psychology 89: 3–13. ,
- 2007. The central question in entrepreneurial cognition research 2007. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 31: 1–28. , , , , , ,
- 2002. Intuition: Its Powers and Perils. Yale University Press: New Haven, CT.
- 1998. Social capital, intellectual capital, and the organizational advantage. Academy of Management Review 23: 242–266. ,
- 2007. Social sources of information in opportunity recognition: effects of mentors, industry networks, and professional forums. Journal of Business Venturing 22: 174–192. ,
- 1997. Impact of organizational citizenship behavior on organizational performance: a review and suggestions for future research. Human Performance 10: 133–152. ,
- 2002. Emotions and Life. American Psycyhological Association: Washington, DC.
- 2003. Introduction to Industrial-Organizational Psychology (4th edn). Prentice-Hall: Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- 1988. The relative effects of verbal and nonverbal behavior, appearance, and social skills on valuations made in hiring interviews. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 18: 331–348. ,
- 1994. A closer look at interpersonal affect as a distinct influence on cognitive processing in performance evaluations. Journal of Applied Psychology 79: 341–353. ,
- 2003. The neural basis of economic decision making in the ultimatum game. Science 300: 1755–1757. , , , ,
- 2003. The individual-opportunity nexus approach to entrepreneurship. Eward Elgar: Aldershot, UK.
- 2003. Entrepreneurial motivation. Human Resource Management Review 13: 257–279. , ,
- 2000. Cognitive biases, risk perception, and venture formation: how individuals decide to start companies. Journal of Business Venturing 15: 113–134. , ,
- 1993. Affect and managerial performance: a test of the sadder-but-wiser vs. happier-and-smarter hypothesis. Administrative Science Quarterly 38: 304–331. ,
- 1994. Employee positive emotion and favorable outcomes at the workplace. Organization Science 5: 51–71. , ,
- 2004. Successful intelligence as a basis for entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Venturing 19: 190–201.
- 2001. Risk taking propensity differences between entrepreneurs and managers: a meta-analytic review. Journal of Applied Psychology 86: 145–53. ,
- 2004. Cognition, creativity, and entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Venturing 19: 173–188.
- 2002. Deconstructing job satisfaction: separating evaluations, beliefs, and affective experiences. Human Resource Management Review 12: 173–194.
- 2003. What neuroimaging and brain localization can do, cannot, and should not do for social psychology. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 85: 662–671. ,
- 1999. Affect and favorable work outcomes: two longitudinal tests of the happy–productive worker thesis. Journal of Organizational Behavior 20: 1–23. ,
- 2007. Entreprneurship: The Engine of Growth. Praeger: Westport, CT. , (eds).
- 1992. Emotions research: some promising questions and some questionable promises. Psychological Science 3: 70–74. Direct Link:,
- 2005. The mediating role of self-efficacy in the development of entrepreneurial intentions. Journal of Applied Psychology 90: 1265–1272. , ,
- 2006. Development and adaptation of expertise: the role of self-regulatory processes and beliefs. In The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance EricssonKA, CharnessN, FeltovichPJ, HoffmanR (eds). Cambridge University Press: New York; 705–722.