Validation techniques for logistic regression models
Article first published online: 12 OCT 2006
Copyright © 1991 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Statistics in Medicine
Volume 10, Issue 8, pages 1213–1226, August 1991
How to Cite
Miller, M. E., Hui, S. L. and Tierney, W. M. (1991), Validation techniques for logistic regression models. Statist. Med., 10: 1213–1226. doi: 10.1002/sim.4780100805
- Issue published online: 12 OCT 2006
- Article first published online: 12 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Revised: JAN 1991
- Manuscript Received: AUG 1990
- Agency for Health Care Policy and Research. Grant Number: HS05626
- National Institute on Aging. Grant Number: AG04518 and AG00313
This paper presents a comprehensive approach to the validation of logistic prediction models. It reviews measures of overall goodness-of-fit, and indices of calibration and refinement. Using a model-based approach developed by Cox, we adapt logistic regression diagnostic techniques for use in model validation. This allows identification of problematic predictor variables in the prediction model as well as influential observations in the validation data that adversely affect the fit of the model. In appropriate situations, recommendations are made for correction of models that provide poor fit.