Article first published online: 16 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Statistics in Medicine
Volume 32, Issue 2, pages 230–239, 30 January 2013
How to Cite
Feng, C., Wang, H., Lu, N. and Tu, X. M. (2013), Log transformation: application and interpretation in biomedical research. Statist. Med., 32: 230–239. doi: 10.1002/sim.5486
- Issue published online: 17 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 16 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 APR 2011
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: 5U19AI056390-05, 3 UL1 RR024160-02S1
- geometric mean;
- hypothesis testing
The log transformation has been widely used in biomedical research to deal with the skewed data. However, in the medical publications, we have found many misuses and misinterpretations of analysis based on log-transformed data. In this paper, we list some common scenarios of misuse and misinterpretation of log transformation in biomedical applications. We also provide both theoretical and practical justifications to support our viewpoints. Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.