A comparison of 12 algorithms for matching on the propensity score
Article first published online: 7 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Statistics in Medicine published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Statistics in Medicine
Volume 33, Issue 6, pages 1057–1069, 15 March 2014
How to Cite
Austin, P. C. (2014), A comparison of 12 algorithms for matching on the propensity score. Statist. Med., 33: 1057–1069. doi: 10.1002/sim.6004
- Issue published online: 10 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 7 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 DEC 2012
- 2Model-based direct adjustment. Journal of the American Statistical Association 1987; 82: 387–394..
- 8Observational Studies. Springer-Verlag: New York, NY, 2002..
- 9Constructing a control group using multivariate matched sampling methods that incorporate the propensity score. The American Statistician 1985; 39: 33–38., .
- 12Controlling bias in observational studies: a review. Sankhya: The Indian Journal of Statistics 1973; 35: 416–466., .
- 14Quality of cardiac care in Ontario, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences: Toronto, Ontario, 2004., , , , , , .
- 16A review of the application of propensity score methods yielded increasing use, advantages in specific settings, but not substantially different estimates compared with conventional multivariable methods. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 2006; 59(5):437–447., , , , , .
- 18Standard distance in univariate and multivariate analysis. The American Statistician 1986; 40: 249–251., .
- 20A tutorial on the use of propensity scoremethods with survival or time-to-event outcomes: Reporting measures of effect similar to those used in randomized experiments. Statistics in Medicine In press. DOI: 10.1002/sim.5984..
- 24Comparison of multivariate matching methods: structures, distances, and algorithms. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 1993; 2: 405–420., .