Beyond boundary spanners: The ‘collective bridge’ as an efficient interunit structure for transferring collective knowledge
Article first published online: 4 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Strategic Management Journal
Volume 34, Issue 13, pages 1513–1530, December 2013
How to Cite
Zhao, Z. J. and Anand, J. (2013), Beyond boundary spanners: The ‘collective bridge’ as an efficient interunit structure for transferring collective knowledge. Strat. Mgmt. J., 34: 1513–1530. doi: 10.1002/smj.2080
- Issue published online: 21 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 31 JAN 2013 07:42AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAR 2012
- 2000. The duality of collaboration: inducements and opportunities in the formation of interfirm linkages. Strategic Management Journal 21(3): 317–343. .
- 1977. Boundary spanning roles and organization structure. Academy of Management Review 2(2): 217–230. , .
- 1979. Technology transfer as a function of position in the spectrum from research through development to technical services. Academy of Management Journal 22(4): 694–708. , , .
- 1990. Outward bound: strategies for team survival in an organization. Academy of Management Journal 33(2): 334–365. .
- 1992. Demography and design: predictors of new product team performance. Organization Science 3(3): 321–341. , .
- 2000. Knowledge transfer in organizations: learning from the experience of others. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Process 82: 1–8. , , , .
- 1974. The Limits of Organization. Norton Co: New York. .
- 2000. Interpersonal and interaction influences on informal resource exchanges between R&D researchers across organizational boundaries. Academy of Management Journal 43(1): 50–65. .
- 1992. Structural Holes (1st edn). Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA, and London, UK. .
- 2002. A pracmatic view of knoweldge and boundaries: boundary objects in new product development. Organization Science 13(4): 442–455. .
- 2004. Transferring, translating, and transforming: an integrative framework for managing knowledge across boundaries. Organization Science 15(5): 555–568. .
- 1988. Social capital in the creation of human capital. American Journal of Sociology 94: 95–120. .
- 1997. Strategic personal links in successful innovation: link-pins, bridges, and liaisons. Creativity and Innovation Management 6(4): 226–233. .
- 2001. The mutual knowledge problem and its consequences for dispersed collaboration. Organization Science 12(3): 346–371. .
- 1975. Intrinsic Motivation. Plenum Press: New York and London, UK. .
- 1985. The general causality orientation scale: self-determination in personality. Journal of Research in Personality 19: 109–134. , .
- 1984. Environmental boundary spanning and information processing effects on organizational performance. Academy of Management Journal 27(2): 351–368. .
- 1996. Toward a knowledge-based theory of the firm. Strategic Management Journal Winter Special Issue 17: 109–122. .
- 1999. The search-transfer problem: the role of weak ties in sharing knowledge across organization subunits. Administrative Science Quarterly 44(1): 82–111. .
- 2002. Knowledge networks: explaining effective knowledge sharing in multiunit companies. Organization Science 13(3): 232–248. .
- 2004. How to build collaborative advantage. Sloan Management Review 46(1): 22–30. , .
- 1983. A longitudinal study of the effects of boundary spanning supervision on turnover and promotion in research and development. Academy of Management Journal 26(3): 437–456. , .
- 1978. Organizational/environmental interchange: a model of boundary spanning activity. Academy of Management Review 3(1): 40–50. , .
- 1958. Organizations. Wiley: New York. , .
- 2007. A multilevel investigation of antecedents and consequences of team member boundary-spanning behavior. Academy of Management Journal 50(6): 1423–1439. , , .
- 1982. An Evolutionary Theory of Economic Change (1st edn). Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA, and London, UK. , .
- 2004. A knowledge-based theory of the firm: the problem-solving perspective. Organization Science 15(6): 617–632. , .
- 2012. Knowledge, networks, and knowledge networks: a review and research agenda. Journal of Management 38(4): 1115–1166. , , .
- 2006. Modularity: implications for imitation, innovation, and sustained advantage. Academy of Management Review 31(4): 995–1011. , .
- 2003. Network structure and knowledge transfer: the effects of cohesion and range. Administrative Science Quarterly 48(2): 240–267. , .
- 2000. Imitation of complex strategies. Management Science 46(6): 824. .
- 1998. Why workers still identify with organizations. Journal of Organizational Behavior 19(3): 217–233. .
- 1962. The architecture of complexity. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 106: 467–482. .
- 1991. Transfer of knowledge in international strategic alliances: a structural approach. In Business Admininstration, Business School. University of Michigan: Ann Arbor, MI. .
- 1999. Transfer of marketing know-how in international strategic alliances: an empirical investigation of the role and antecedents of knowledge ambiguity. Journal of International Business Studies 30(3): 463–490. .
- 2006. Complexity, networks and knowledge flow. Research Policy 35(7): 994–1017. , , .
- 2007. Are your engineers talking to one another when they should? Harvard Business Review (November): 1–8. , , .
- 1996. Making knowledge the basis of a dynamic theory of the firm. Strategic Management JournalWinter Special Issue 17: 45–62. .
- 1996. Exploring internal stickiness: impediments to the transfer of best practice within the firm. Strategic Management Journal, Winter 17: 27–43. .
- 1981a. Boundary spanning individuals: their role in information transfer and their antecedents. Academy of Management Journal 24(2): 289–305. , .
- 1981b. Characteristics and external orientations of boundary spanning individuals. Academy of Management Journal 24(1): 83–98. , .
- 1997. Social structure and competition in interfirm networks: the paradox of embeddedness. Administrative Science Quarterly 42: 35–67. .
- 1987. Knowledge and competence as strategic assets. In The Competitive Challenge: Strategies for Industrial Innovation and Renewal, Teece DJ (ed). Ballinger: Cambridge, MA. .
- 2001. Replication as strategy. Organization Science 12(6): 730–743. , .
- 1995. Knowledge and the speed of the transfer and imitation of organizational capabilities: an empirical test. Organization Science 6(1): 76–92. , .
- 2005. Toward a Multilevel Knowledge Transfer Paradigm: Acquiring Engineering Capabilities in the Chinese Automotive Industry. University of Michigan: Ann Arbor, Michigan. .
- 2009. A multilevel perspective on knowledge transfer: evidence from the Chinese automotive industry. Strategic Management Journal 30(9): 959–984. , .
- 2005. A dual networks perspective on inter-organizational transfer of R&D capabilities: international joint ventures in the Chinese automotive industry. Journal of Management Studies 42(1): 127–160. , , .