Multinationality and downside risk: The roles of option portfolio and organization
Article first published online: 8 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Strategic Management Journal
Volume 35, Issue 1, pages 88–106, January 2014
How to Cite
Belderbos, R., Tong, T. W. and Wu, S. (2014), Multinationality and downside risk: The roles of option portfolio and organization. Strat. Mgmt. J., 35: 88–106. doi: 10.1002/smj.2087
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 8 APR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 FEB 2013 02:51PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 AUG 2010
- 1996. Valuation of the operating flexibility of multinational corporations. Journal of International Business Studies 27(4): 633–653. , .
- 2012. Firm heterogeneity in growth option value: the role of managerial incentives. Strategic Management Journal 33: 1557–1566. , , .
- 1985. Control systems and strategic adaptation: lessons from the Japanese experience. Strategic Management Journal 6: 115–134. , .
- 1989. Managing across Borders: The Transnational Solution. Harvard Business School Press: Boston, MA. , .
- 2005. The determinants of expatriate staffing by Japanese multinationals in Asia: control, learning and vertical business groups. Journal of International Business Studies 36: 341–354. , .
- 2005. Competitive drivers and international plant configuration strategies: a product level test. Strategic Management Journal 26(6): 577–593. , .
- 2007. On the growth of foreign affiliates: multinational plant networks, joint ventures, and flexibility. Journal of International Business Studies 38(7): 1095–1112. , .
- 2009. Real options and foreign affiliate divestments: a portfolio perspective. Journal of International Business Studies 40: 600–620. , .
- 1993. Strategy through the options lens: an integrated view of resource investments and the incremental-choice process. Academy of Management Review 18(4): 760–782. , .
- 2001. Real options analysis and strategic decision making. Organization Science 12: 772–777. , .
- 1990. The role of expatriates in the management of interdependence, complexity and risk in multinational corporations. Journal of International Business Studies 21(3): 357–381. .
- 2008. Real options, international entry mode choice and performance. Journal of Management Studies 45(5): 936–960. , , .
- 1996. Multinational Enterprise and Economic Analysis (4th edn). Cambridge University Press: New York. .
- 1996. Collaborative ventures and value of learning: integrating the transaction cost and strategic option perspectives on foreign market entry. Journal of International Business Studies 27: 285–308. , .
- 2009. A dynamic model of the choice of mode for exploiting complementary capabilities. Journal of International Business Studies 40: 365–387. , .
- 1994. A simple approximation of Tobin's q. Financial Management 23(3): 70–74. , .
- 2007. Real options meet organizational theory: coping with path dependencies, agency costs, and organizational form. Advances in Strategic Management 24: 333–361. , .
- 2010. What makes and what does not make a real option? A study of international joint ventures. Journal of International Business Studies 41(1): 47–69. , .
- 1997. Optimal operating policies in the presence of exchange rate variability. Management Science 43(5): 705–722. , .
- 2011. Real options in multinational decision-making: managerial awareness and risk implications. Journal of World Business 46(2): 205–219. , .
- 1977. Transfer of managers as a coordination and control strategy in multinational organizations. Administrative Science Quarterly 22(2): 248–263. , .
- 2010. Multinational firm knowledge, use of expatriates, and foreign subsidiary performance. Journal of Management Studies 47(1): 27–54. , , , .
- 1988. The multinational corporation's degree of control over foreign subsidiaries: an empirical test of a transaction cost explanation. Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 4: 305–336. , .
- 1990. Human resource management and international joint venture control: a parent company perspective. Management International Review 30 (Special issue): 103–120. , .
- 2004. Fixed effects and bias due to the incidental parameters problem in the Tobit model. Econometric Reviews 23(2): 125–147. .
- 2000. Knowledge flows within multinational corporations. Strategic Management Journal 21: 473–496. , .
- 1986. The hypermodern MNC: a heterarchy? Hum Resource Management 25(1): 9–35. .
- 2007. The theoretical rationale for a multinationality-performance relationship. Management International Review 47(3): 423–452. .
- 1998. The impact of joint venture status on the longevity of Japanese stakes in U.S. manufacturing affiliates. Organization Science 9(3): 382–395. , , .
- 1997. International diversification: effects on innovation and firm performance in product-diversified firms. Academy of Management Journal 40: 767–798. , , .
- 2003. Analysis of Panel Data (2nd edn). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK. .
- 1996. Valuing operational flexibility under exchange rate risk. Operations Research 44(1): 100–113. , .
- 1983. Foreign direct investment as a sequential process. In The Multinational Corporation in the 1980s, Kindleberger CP, Audretsch DB (eds). MIT Press: Boston, MA; 62–75. .
- 1985. Designing global strategies: profiting from operational flexibility. Sloan Management Review 27(1): 27–38. .
- 1989. A note on global strategies. Strategic Management Journal 10(4): 383–389. .
- 1994. Operating flexibility, global manufacturing, and the option value of a multinational network. Management Science 40(1): 123–139. , .
- 2004. Real options pricing and organizations: the contingent risks of extended theoretical domains. Academy of Management Review 29: 102–110. , .
- 2001. Exchange rates and the choice of ownership structure of production facilities. Management Science 47(8): 1063–1080. , , .
- 2009. Flexibility in internationalization: is it valuable during an economic crisis? Strategic Management Journal 30: 537–555. , .
- 2010. Flexibility versus commitment: MNEs' ownership strategy in China. Journal of International Business Studies 41: 1550–1571. , .
- 2007. Real options and the theory of foreign direct investment. International Business Review 16(6): 687–712. , .
- 2004. International diversification and firm performance: the S-curve hypothesis. Academy of Management Journal 47(4): 598–609. , .
- 1998. Strategy as a portfolio of real options. Harvard Business Review 76(5): 89–99. .
- 1997. A real options logic for initiating technology positioning investments. Academy of Management Review 22(4): 974–996. .
- 2004. Real options reasoning and a new look at the R&D investment strategies of pharmaceutical firms. Strategic Management Journal 25: 1–21. , .
- 1987. Production flexibility as a motive for multinationality. Journal of Industrial Economics 35(3): 343–351. , .
- 1990. The economics of modern manufacturing: technology, strategy, and organization. American Economic Review 80(3): 511–528. , .
- 1996. Measuring organizational downside risk. Strategic Management Journal 17(9): 671–691. , .
- 1998. Asymmetric corporate exposures to foreign exchange rate changes. Strategic Management Journal 19(12): 1183–1191. , .
- 1992. Getting there in a global industry: impacts on performance of changing international presence. Strategic Management Journal 13(6): 419–432. , , .
- 2012. Managerial incentive, organizational slack, and performance: empirical analysis of Japanese firms' behavior. Journal of Management & Governance DOI: 10.1007/s10997-012-9226-5. , .
- 1992. Internationalization: an event study test. Journal of International Economics 33: 41–56. , .
- 2010. The performance implications of intra- and inter-regional geographic diversification. Strategic Management Journal 31: 1018–1030. , , , .
- 1998. Do multinationals operate flexibly? Theory and evidence. Journal of International Business Studies 29(2): 217–237. .
- 2000. Downside risk implications of multinationality and international joint ventures. Academy of Management Journal 43(2): 203–214. , .
- 1976. Risk reduction by international diversification. Journal of International Business Studies 7(2): 75–80. .
- 1986. Performance, slack, and risk taking in organizational decision making. Academy of Management Journal 29: 562–585. .
- 1972. Managing the Multinational Enterprise. Basic Books: New York. , .
- 1996. Effects of international diversity and product diversity on the performance of multinational firms. Academy of Management Journal 39(1): 179–196. , .
- 1999. Operational flexibility and market valuation of earnings. Strategic Management Journal 20: 749–761. , .
- 2007. Real options in multinational corporations: Organizational challenges and risk implications. Journal of International Business Studies 38(2): 215–230. , .
- 2008. International joint ventures and the value of growth options. Academy of Management Journal 51(5): 1014–1029. , , .
- 1996. Real Options: Managerial Flexibility and Strategy in Resource Allocation. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 2004. Non-additivity in portfolios of exploration activities: a real options-based analysis of equity alliances in biotechnology. Strategic Management Journal 25(11): 1045–1061. , , .
- 2009. Expatriate utilization and foreign direct investment performance: the mediating role of knowledge transfer. Journal of Management 35(5): 1181–1206. , , , .
- 2002. Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 2000. In search of new foundations. Journal of Finance 55(4): 1623–1653. .