Inside the black box of the corporate staff: Social networks and the implementation of corporate strategy
Article first published online: 26 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Strategic Management Journal
Volume 35, Issue 1, pages 24–47, January 2014
How to Cite
Kleinbaum, A. M. and Stuart, T. E. (2014), Inside the black box of the corporate staff: Social networks and the implementation of corporate strategy. Strat. Mgmt. J., 35: 24–47. doi: 10.1002/smj.2090
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 26 APR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 1 FEB 2013 02:38AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 17 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 APR 2011
- 1977. Managing the Flow of Technology: Technology Transfer and the Dissemination of Technological Information Within the R&D Organization. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 1971. The Concept of Corporate Strategy. Dow Jones-Irwin: Homewood, IL. .
- 1965. Corporate Strategy; an Analytic Approach to Business Policy for Growth and Expansion. McGraw-Hill: New York. .
- 2009. The impact of academic patenting on the rate, quality, and direction of (public) research output. Journal of Industrial Economics 57(4): 637–676. , , .
- 1986. Men and women at work: sex segregation and statistical discrimination. American Journal of Sociology 91(4): 759–799. , .
- 1987. Power and centrality: a family of measures. American Journal of Sociology 92(5): 1170–1182. .
- 2006. UCINet VI for Windows: Software for Social Network Analysis, Version. Analytic Technologies: Cambridge, MA. , , .
- 1984. Strategic implementation: five approaches to an elusive phenomenon. Strategic Management Journal 5(3): 241–264. , .
- 1970. Managing the Resource Allocation Process: a Study of Corporate Planning and Investment (2nd edn). Graduate School of Business Administration, Harvard University: Boston, MA. .
- 2001. Does corporate strategy matter? Strategic Management Journal 22(1): 1. , .
- 1992. Structural Holes: The Social Structure of Competition. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 2010. Neighbor Networks: Competitive Advantage Local and Personal. Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK. .
- 1962. Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the Industrial Enterprise. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 1990. Scale and Scope: the Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism. Belknap Press of Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 1988. Social capital in the creation of human capital. American Journal of Sociology 94: S95–S120. .
- 2007. The size, structure, and performance of corporate headquarters. Strategic Management Journal 28(4): 383–405. , , .
- 2010. Should auld acquaintance be forgot? The reverse transfer of knowledge through mobility ties. Strategic Management Journal 31(2): 159–181. , .
- 2002. Propensity score-matching methods for nonexperimental causal studies. Review of Economics and Statistics 84(1): 151–161. , .
- 1989. Building theories from case study research. Academy of Management Review 14(4): 532–550. .
- 1981. The focused organization of social ties. American Journal of Sociology 86(5): 1015–1035. .
- 2001. The Architecture of Markets: An Economic Sociology of Twenty-First-Century Capitalist Societies. Princeton University Press: Princeton, NJ. .
- 1997. On the rationales of corporate headquarters. Industrial and Corporate Change 6(2): 313–338. .
- 1979. Centrality in social networks: conceptual clarification. Social Networks 1: 215–239. .
- 1973. Designing Complex Organizations. Addison-Wesley: Reading, MA. .
- 1978. Strategy Implementation: The Role of Structure and Process. West: St. Paul, MN. , .
- 1990. The multinational corporation as an interorganizational network. Academy of Management Review 15(4): 603–625. , .
- 1994. Interunit communication in multinational corporations. Management Science 40(1): 96–110. , , .
- 1987. Strategies and Styles: The Role of the Centre in Managing Diversified Corporations. Basil Blackwell: Oxford, UK; New York. , .
- 1994. Corporate-Level Strategy: Creating Value in the Multibusiness Company. Wiley: New York. , , .
- 1989. Structures of mediation: a formal approach to brokerage in transaction networks. Sociological Methodology 19: 89–126. , .
- 1986. Decentralization, strategy, and effectiveness of strategic business units in multibusiness organizations. Academy of Management Review 11(4): 844–856. .
- 2009. Renewal through reorganization: the value of inconsistencies between formal and informal organization. Organization Science 20(2): 422–440. , .
- 1984. Business unit strategy, managerial characteristics, and business unit effectiveness at strategy implementation. Academy of Management Journal 27(1): 25–41. , .
- 2008. Statnet: software tools for the representation, visualization, analysis and simulation of network data. Journal of Statistical Software Available at: http://www.jstatsoft.org/v24/i01/paper/ (accessed 17 April 2013). , , , , .
- 1980. Does unemployment cause future unemployment? Definitions, questions and answers from a continuous time model of heterogeneity and state dependence. Economica 47(187): 247–283. , .
- 2000. Marginal structural models to estimate the causal effect of zidovudine on the survival of HIV-positive men. Epidemiology 11(5): 561–570. , , .
- 1977. Men and Women of the Corporation. Basic Books: New York. .
- 2000. The future of business groups in emerging markets: long-run evidence from Chile. Academy of Management Journal 43(3): 268–285. , .
- 2012. Organizational misfits and the origins of brokerage in intrafirm networks. Administrative Science Quarterly 57(3): 407–452. .
- 2012. Do you read me? How perceptions of empathy shape self-monitors' brokerage in social networks. Tuck Working paper, Dartmouth College. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2134566 (accessed 31 October 2012). , , .
- 2013. Discretion within constraint: homophily and structure in a formal organization. Organization Science Available at: http://orgsci.journal.informs.org/content/early/2013/02/08/orsc.1120.0804.abstract (accessed 9 February 2013). , , .
- 2007. Building bridges: the social structure of interdependent innovation. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal 1(1): 103–122. , .
- 1992. Knowledge of the firm, combinative capabilities, and the replication of technology. Organization Science 3(3, Focused Issue: Management of Technology): 383–397. , .
- 1974. Organizations and their Members: A Contingency Approach. Harper & Row: New York. , .
- 2006. How do friendships form? Quarterly Journal of Economics 121(1): 79–119. , .
- 1994. Corporate diversification. Journal of Economic Perspectives 8(3): 163–178. .
- 1992. Do nominated boundary spanners become effective technological gatekeepers? IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management 39(3): 265–269. , .
- 1994. Differentiated fit and shared values: alternatives for managing headquarters-subsidiary relations. Strategic Management Journal 15(6): 491–502. , .
- 2005. Social networks, the Tertius Iungens orientation, and involvement in innovation. Administrative Science Quarterly 50(1): 100–130. .
- 1980. Markets, bureaucracies, and clans. Administrative Science Quarterly 25(1): 129–141. .
- 1996. Econometric methods for fractional response variables with an application to 401 (K) plan participation rates. Journal of Applied Econometrics 11(6): 619–632. , .
- 1956. Suggestions for a sociological approach to the theory of organizations-I. Administrative Science Quarterly 1: 63–85. .
- 1959. The Theory of the Growth of the Firm (1995 edn). Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK. .
- 1990. Neither market nor hierarchy: network forms of organization. In Research in Organizational Behavior (Volume 12), Staw BM, Cummings LL (eds). JAI Press: Greenwich, CT; 295–336. .
- 2011. Matter over mind? E-mail data and the measurement of social networks. Connections 31(1): 22–46. , .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing, Version 2.11.1. R Foundation for Statistical Computing: Vienna, Austria.
- 1999. Marginal structural models versus structural nested models as tools for causal inference. In Statistical Models in Epidemiology: The Environment and Clinical Trials, Halloran ME, Barry D (eds). Springer-Verlag: New York. .
- 1984. Reducing bias in observational studies using subclassification on the propensity score. Journal of the American Statistical Association 79(387): 516–524. , .
- 1977. Assignment to treatment group on the basis of a covariate. Journal of Educational Statistics 2(1): 1–26. .
- 1994. Fundamental Issues in Strategy : A Research Agenda. HBS Press: Boston, MA. , , .
- 2010. Network churn: the effects of self-monitoring personality on brokerage dynamics. Administrative Science Quarterly 55(4): 639–670. , , , .
- 1902. The Sociology of Georg Simmel (1950 edn). Wolff KH (Trans.) Free Press: Glencoe, IL. .
- 1967. Organizations in Action; Social Science Bases of Administrative Theory. Transaction: New Brunswick, NJ. .
- 1980. External communication and project performance: an investigation into the role of gatekeepers. Management Science 26(11): 1071–1085. , .
- 2004. Diversification discount or premium? New evidence from the business information tracking series. Journal of Finance 59(2): 479–506. .
- 1994. Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications. Cambridge University Press: New York. , .
- 1975. Markets and Hierarchies, Analysis and Antitrust Implications: A Study in the Economics of Internal Organization. Free Press: New York. .
- 2011. Human communication dynamics in digital footsteps: a study of the agreement between self-reported ties and e-mail networks. PLoS ONE 6(11): e26972. , .
- 1949. Human Behavior and the Principle of Least Effort: An Introduction to Human Ecology. Addison-Wesley: Cambridge, MA. .