RESEARCH NOTES AND COMMENTARIES
Learning from openness: The dynamics of breadth in external innovation linkages
Version of Record online: 29 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Strategic Management Journal published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Strategic Management Journal
Volume 35, Issue 11, pages 1703–1716, November 2014
How to Cite
Love, J. H., Roper, S. and Vahter, P. (2014), Learning from openness: The dynamics of breadth in external innovation linkages. Strat. Mgmt. J., 35: 1703–1716. doi: 10.1002/smj.2170
- Issue online: 9 OCT 2014
- Version of Record online: 29 AUG 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 4 JUL 2013 11:39AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUL 2011
- ESRC. Grant Number: RES-062-23-2767
- 2003. Corporate effects and dynamic managerial capabilities. Strategic Management Journal 24: 1011–1025. , .
- 2000. Collaboration networks, structural holes and innovation: a longitudinal study. Administrative Science Quarterly 45: 425–455. .
- 2011. Organizational learning: from experience to knowledge. Organization Science 22: 1123–1137. , .
- 2006. In search of complementarity in innovation strategy: internal R&D and external knowledge acquisition. Management Science 52: 68–82. , .
- 2006. Open Business Models: How to Thrive in the New Innovation Landscape. Harvard Business School Press: Boston, MA. .
- 1998. Research, innovation and productivity: an econometric analysis at the firm level. Economics of Inovation and New Technology 7: 115–158. , , .
- 2010. The multinational enterprise as a source of international knowledge flows: direct evidence from Italy. Journal of International Business Studies 41: 350–359. , , .
- 2009. Cognition and renewal: comparing CEO and organizational effects on incumbent adaptation to technical change. Organization Science 20: 461–477. , .
- 2005. Patterns of innovation and skills in small firms. Technovation 25(2): 123–134. .
- 2003. R&D and absorptive capacity: theory and empirical evidence. Scandinavian Journal of Economics 105(1): 99–118. , , .
- 1995. R&D and productivity: econometric results and measurement issues. In Handbook of the Economics of Innovation and Technological Change, Stoneman P (ed). Blackwell: Oxford, UK. .
- 1988. The Sources of Innovation. Oxford University Press: New York. .
- 2007. Building firm capabilities through learning: the role of the alliance learning process in alliance capability and firm-level alliance success. Strategic Management Journal 28: 981–1000. , .
- 2002. Something old, something new: a longitudinal study of search behavior and new product introduction. Academy of Management Journal 45(8): 1183–1194. , .
- 2006. Open for innovation: the role of openness in explaining innovation performance among UK manufacturing firms. Strategic Management Journal 27: 131–150. , .
- 2005. Organization of knowledge and innovation: the case of Finnish business services. Industry and Innovation 12: 185–203. .
- 2010. Innovation objectives, knowledge sources, and the benefits of breadth. Strategic Management Journal 31: 224–236. , .
- 2011. Location, decentralization, and knowledge sources for innovation. Organization Science 22: 641–658. , .
- 1993. The myopia of learning. Strategic Management Journal, (Winter) Special Issue 14: 95–112. , .
- 2001. Accounting for common method variance in cross-sectional research designs. Journal of Applied Psychology 86(1): 114–121. , .
- 2001. Location and network effects on innovation success: evidence for UK, German and Irish manufacturing plants. Research Policy 30: 643–661. , .
- 2006. Common method variance in IS research: a comparison of alternative approaches and a reanalysis of past research. Management Science 52: 1865–1883. , , .
- 1982. An Evolutionary Theory of Economic Change. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA. , .
- 1997. Towards an attention-based view of the firm. Strategic Management Journal, (Summer) Special Issue 18: 187–206. .
- 2003. Common method biases in behavioral research: a critical review of the literature and recommended remedies. Journal of Applied Psychology 88: 879–903. , , , .
- 1986. Self-reports in organizational research: problems and prospects. Journal of Management 12(4): 531–544. , .
- 1996. Interorganizational collaboration and the locus of innovation: networks of learning in biotechnology. Administrative Science Quarterly 41: 116–145. , , .
- 2008. Modelling the innovation value chain. Research Policy 37: 961–977. , , .
- 1974. Sappho updated—Project Sappho phase II. Research Policy 3: 204–225. , , , , .
- 1947. Administrative Behavior: A Study of Decision-Making Process in Administrative Organization. Macmillan: Chicago, IL. .
- 2007. Asymmetry of knowledge spillovers between MNCs and host country firms. Journal of International Business Studies 38(5): 764–786. .
- 2002. Deliberate learning and the evolution of dynamic capabilities. Organization Science 13: 339–351. , .