Research Notes and Commentaries
Trust over time in exchange relationships: Meta-analysis and theory
Article first published online: 11 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Strategic Management Journal published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Strategic Management Journal
Volume 35, Issue 12, pages 1891–1902, December 2014
How to Cite
Vanneste, B. S., Puranam, P. and Kretschmer, T. (2014), Trust over time in exchange relationships: Meta-analysis and theory. Strat. Mgmt. J., 35: 1891–1902. doi: 10.1002/smj.2198
- Issue published online: 27 OCT 2014
- Article first published online: 11 NOV 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 8 OCT 2013 12:34PM EST
- Manuscript Revised: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 APR 2012
- INSEAD Alumni Fund
- *1999. If looks could sell: moderation and mediation of the attractiveness effect on salesperson performance. International Journal of Research in Marketing 16(4): 269–284. , , .
- *1989. Determinants of continuity in conventional industrial channel dyads. Marketing Science 8(4): 310–323. , .
- 1998. A formal model of trust based on outcomes. Academy of Management Review 23(3): 459–472. , , .
- 2010. Relationship duration and returns to brokerage in the staffing sector. Organization Science 21(6): 1141–1158. , .
- 1989. Price, authority, and trust – from ideal types to plural forms. Annual Review of Sociology 15: 97–118. , .
- 1996. In-group favoritism: the subtle side of intergroup discrimination. In Codes of Conduct: Behavioral Research and Business Ethics, Messick DM, Tenbrunsel AE (eds). Russell Sage Foundation: New York; 160–171. .
- *2003. Trust in management: the effect of managerial trustworthy behavior and reciprocity. IESE Working paper D/496. University of Navarra, IESE Business School, Barcelona, Spain. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=462624. ,
- 2008. From the head and the heart: locating cognition-and affect-based trust in managers' professional networks. Academy of Management Journal 51(3): 436–452. , , .
- *2009. Guanxi vs networking: distinctive configurations of affect-and cognition-based trust in the networks of Chinese vs. American managers. Journal of International Business Studies 40(3): 490–508. , , .
- *2010. Embeddedness and new idea discussion in professional networks: the mediating role of affect-based trust. Journal of Creative Behavior 44(2): 85–104. , , .
- 1992. A power primer. Psychological Bulletin 112(1): 155–159. .
- 1990. Foundations of Social Theory. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 2007. Trust, trustworthiness, and trust propensity: a meta-analytic test of their unique relationships with risk taking and job performance. Journal of Applied Psychology 92(4): 909–926. , , .
- 2004. The effect of repeated interaction on contract choice: evidence from offshore drilling. Journal of Law, Economics & Organization 20(1): 230–260. , .
- *2002. Determinants of trust in a service provider: the moderating role of length of relationship. Journal of Services Marketing 16(1): 35–50. , .
- *1992. Group representatives in educational institutions: an empirical study of superintendents and teacher union presidents. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 28(2): 296–317. .
- 2000. The trusted general manager and business unit performance: empirical evidence of a competitive advantage. Strategic Management Journal 21(5): 563–576. , , , .
- 1958. Trust and suspicion. Journal of Conflict Resolution 2(4): 265–279. .
- 2002. Trust in leadership: meta-analytic findings and implications for research and practice. Journal of Applied Psychology 87(4): 611–627. , .
- *1997. An examination of the nature of trust in buyer-seller relationships. Journal of Marketing 2(2): 35–51. , .
- *2000. The determinants of trust in supplier-automaker relationships in the U.S., Japan, and Korea. Journal of International Business Studies 31(2): 259–285. , .
- 2007. Interdisciplinary trust meta-analysis. Working paper 2007–18, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Munich School of Management, Munich, Germany. 1–134. .
- *2008. Trust at different organizational levels. Journal of Marketing 72(2): 80–98. , , , .
- *1992. Personal and interpersonal predictors of supervisors' avoidance of evaluating subordinates. Journal of Applied Psychology 77(4): 462–468. , , .
- 1971. A non-cooperative equilibrium for supergames. Review of Economic Studies 38(1): 1–12. .
- *2002. After the ink dries: the interaction of trust and control in US-based international joint ventures. Journal of Management Studies 39(6): 865–886. , , .
- 1988. Can we trust trust?. In Trust: Making and Breaking Cooperative Relations, Gambetta D (ed). Basil Blackwell: Cambridge, MA; 213–237. .
- *1994. Determinants of long-term orientation in buyer-seller relationships. Journal of Marketing 58(2): 1–19. .
- 1998. Generalizations about trust in marketing channel relationships using meta-analysis1. International Journal of Research in Marketing 15(3): 223–248. , , .
- 2006. Make, buy, or ally: a transaction cost theory meta-analysis. Academy of Management Journal 49(3): 519–543. , , .
- 1985. Economic action and social structure: the problem of embeddedness. American Journal of Sociology 91(3): 481–510. .
- 2010. Built to last but falling apart: cohesion, friction, and withdrawal from interfirm alliances. Academy of Management Journal 53(2): 302–322. , , , .
- 1995. Does familiarity breed trust? The implications of repeated ties for contractual choice in alliances. Academy of Management Journal 38(1): 85–112. .
- 2008. Interorganizational trust, governance choice, and exchange performance. Organization Science 19(5): 688–708. , .
- *2008. Does familiarity breed trust? Revisiting the antecedents of trust. Managerial and Decision Economics 29(2-3): 165–190. , .
- 2002. Trust and Trustworthiness. Russell Sage Foundation Publications: New York. .
- 1995. Development of a new outlier statistic for meta-analytic data. Journal of Applied Psychology 80(2): 327–334. , .
- 2004. Methods of Meta-Analysis – Correcting Error and Bias in Research Findings. Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA. , .
- *2009. Interfirm strategic information flows in logistics supply chain relationships. MIS Quarterly 33(4): 735–762. , .
- *2002. Trust in the face of conflict: the role of managerial trustworthy behavior and organizational context. Journal of Applied Psychology 87(2): 312–319. , , .
- 1999. Trust and distrust in organizations: emerging perspectives, enduring questions. Annual Review of Psychology 50(1): 569–598. .
- *2006. When does trust matter to alliance performance? Academy of Management Journal 49(5): 894–917. , , .
- *1995. The effects of supplier fairness on vulnerable resellers. Journal of Marketing Research 32(1): 54–65. , , .
- 2008. Trust-opportunism paradox, relationalism, and performance in interfirm relationships: evidence from the retail industry. Strategic Management Journal 29(4): 401–423. , , .
- *1991. The relevance of ethical salesperson behavior on relationship quality: the pharmaceutical industry. Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management 11(4): 39–47. , , .
- *2011. Dormant ties: the value of reconnecting. Organization Science 22(4): 923–939. , , .
- *2006. Perceived trustworthiness of knowledge sources: the moderating impact of relationship length. Journal of Applied Psychology 91(5): 1163–1171. , , .
- 1995. Trust in relationships: a model of development and decline. In Conflict, Cooperation and Justice, Bunker BB, Rubin JZ (eds). Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, CA; 133–173. , .
- 2010. Relational mechanisms, formal contracts, and local knowledge acquisition by international subsidiaries. Strategic Management Journal 31(4): 349–370. , , .
- *2004. The role of trust and contractual safeguards on cooperation in non-equity alliances. Journal of Management 30(4): 471–485. , .
- *2002. Building trust in cross-cultural collaborations: toward a contingency perspective. Journal of Management 28(5): 669–694. .
- *2008. Structuring interorganizational cooperation: the role of economic integration in strategic alliances. Strategic Management Journal 29(6): 617–637. .
- 1995. An integrative model of organizational trust. Academy of Management Review 20(3): 709–734. , , .
- 2011. Reorganizing the boundaries of trust: from discrete alternatives to hybrid forms. Organization Science 22(5): 1266–1276. .
- *2010. Does success breed trust? Revisiting the trust-performance link in International Strategic Alliances. Working paper, Kent Business School, University of Kent, Canterbury, UK. 1-36.
- *2002. Perceived trustworthiness and inter-firm governance: empirical evidence from the UK printing industry. Cambridge Journal of Economics 26(2): 139–160. .
- *2009. Building trust--evidence from Vietnamese entrepreneurs. Journal of Business Venturing 24(2): 165–182. , .
- 2002. Trust: Forms, Foundations, Functions, Failures and Figures. Edward Elgar Publishing: Cheltenham, UK. .
- *2004. Knowledge acquisition, knowledge loss, and satisfaction in high technology alliances. Journal of Business Research 57(6): 610–619. .
- 2000. Trust, reciprocity, and social history: a re-examination. Experimental Economics 3(1): 81–100. , , .
- 1993. Strategic alliance structuring: a game theoretic and transaction cost examination of interfirm. Academy of Management Journal 36(4): 794–829. .
- *2003. Trust as an organizing principle. Organization Science 14(1): 91–103. , , .
- 2003. Attributions of trust and the calculus of reciprocity. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 39(5): 448–455. , , .
- 1990. Predicting intergroup fairness and ingroup bias in the minimal group paradigm. European Journal of Social Psychology 20(3): 221–239. , , .
- 2002. Do formal contracts and relational governance function as substitutes or complements? Strategic Management Journal 23(8): 707–725. , .
- *2008. Alternative origins to interorganizational trust: an interdependence perspective on the shadow of the past and the shadow of the future. Organization Science 19(1): 39–55. , , .
- 2009. Trust and governance: untangling a tangled web. Academy of Management Review 34(1): 11–31. , .
- 2007. Strategic alliance contracts: dimensions and determinants of contractual complexity. Strategic Management Journal 28(3): 313–330. , .
- *2000. Organizational trust and interfirm cooperation: an examination of horizontal versus vertical alliances. Marketing Letters 11(1): 81–95. .
- 1992. Structuring cooperative relationships between organizations. Strategic Management Journal 13(7): 483–498. , .
- 1994. Developmental processes of cooperative interorganizational relationships. Academy of Management Review 19(1): 90–118. , .
- 1998. Not so different after all: a cross-discipline view of trust. Academy of Management Review 23(3): 393–404. , , , .
- 2008. Factors influencing partner selection in strategic alliances: the moderating role of alliance context. Strategic Management Journal 29(5): 471–494. , .
- *1998. Correlates of charismatic leader behavior in military units: subordinates' attitudes, unit characteristics, and superiors' appraisals of leader performance. Academy of Management Journal 41(4): 387–409. , , , .
- 1992. Business on a handshake. Negotiation Journal 8(4): 365–377. , , .
- *2009. Cooperation and knowledge transfer within buyer–supplier relationships: the moderating properties of trust, relationship duration and supplier performance. British Journal of Management 20(4): 461–477. , , .
- 2011. Integrating distributed work: comparing task design, communication, and tacit coordination mechanisms. Strategic Management Journal 32(8): 849–875. , .
- 1999. Customer trust in the salesperson: an integrative review and meta-analysis of the empirical literature. Journal of Business Research 44(2): 93–107. , , .
- 1982. Social psychology of intergroup relations. Annual Review of Psychology 33(1): 1–39. .
- 1997. Social structure and competition in interfirm networks: the paradox of embeddedness. Administrative Science Quarterly 42(1): 37–69. .
- 2013. Forgiveness in vertical relationships: incentive and termination effects. Organization Science (Forthcoming). , .
- 2010. Repeated interactions and contractual detail: identifying the learning effect. Organization Science 21(1): 186–201. , .
- *2008. Creativity in buyer-seller relationships: the role of governance. International Journal of Research in Marketing 25(2): 109–118. , , , .
- 2009. Firm-specific knowledge resources and competitive advantage: the roles of economic-and relationship-based employee governance mechanisms. Strategic Management Journal 30(12): 1265–1285. , , .
- *2010. The role of mentor trust and protégé internal locus of control in formal mentoring relationships. Journal of Applied Psychology 95(2): 358–367. , , .
- *2008. Trust in buyer–supplier relations: the case of the Turkish automotive industry. Journal of International Business Studies 39(1): 118–131. , .
- 2005. Normal acts of irrational trust: motivated attributions and the trust development process. In Research in Organizational Behavior, Kramer RM, Staw B (eds). JAI Press: New York; 75–101. , , .
- 1990. Confusion of confidence intervals and credibility intervals in meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology 75(3): 315–321. .
- 1975. Markets and Hierarchies – Analysis and Antitrust Implications. The Free Press: New York. .
- 1985. The Economic Institutions of Capitalism. Free Press: New York. .
- 1994. Trust and commitment in the United States and Japan. Motivation and Emotion 18(2): 129–166. , .
- *2010. Examining the effects of trust in leaders: a bases-and-foci approach. Leadership Quarterly 21(1): 50–63. , .
- *2006. The role of monitoring in interfirm exchange: effects on partner unilateral cooperation. Journal of Business Research 59(12): 1231–1238. , .
- *1999. Strategic flexibility in information technology alliances: the influence of transaction cost economics and social exchange theory. Organization Science 10(4): 439–459. , .
- 1993. From transaction cost to transactional value analysis: implications for the study of interorganizational strategies. Journal of Management Studies 30(1): 131–145. , .