RESEARCH NOTES AND COMMENTARIES
Corporate social performance, analyst stock recommendations, and firm future returns
Article first published online: 3 FEB 2014
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Strategic Management Journal
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 123–136, January 2015
How to Cite
Luo, X., Wang, H., Raithel, S. and Zheng, Q. (2015), Corporate social performance, analyst stock recommendations, and firm future returns. Strat. Mgmt. J., 36: 123–136. doi: 10.1002/smj.2219
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2014
- Article first published online: 3 FEB 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 23 NOV 2013 12:58PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 17 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 AUG 2012
- A4S, GRI, Radley Yeldar. 2012. The value of extra-financial disclosure: what investors and analysts said. Available at: http://www.accountingforsustainability.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/What-investors-and-analysts-said-The-value-of-extra-financial-disclosure.pdf (accessed 12 November 2013).
- 2001. Can investors profit from the prophets? Security analyst recommendations and stock. Journal of Finance 56(2): 531–563. , , , .
- 2006. Beyond dichotomy: the curvilinear relationship between social responsibility and financial performance. Strategic Management Journal 27(11): 1101–1122. , .
- 1986. The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 51(6): 1173–1182. , .
- 2002. Changes in analysts' information around earnings announcements. Accounting Review 77(4): 821–846. , , .
- 2001. The relevance of the value relevance literature for financial accounting standard setting: another view. Journal of Accounting and Economics 31(1–3): 77–104. , , .
- BNY Mellon. 2012. Global trends in investor relations. Available at: http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Portals/0/BNY%20Mellon%20Global%20Trends.pdf (accessed 12 November 2013).
- BSR. 2009. ESG in the mainstream: the role for companies and investors in environmental, social, and governance integration. Available at: http://www.bsr.org/reports/BSR%20ESG%20Integration%20Report%20_Sept%202009_final.pdf (accessed 12 November 2013).
- CAMRADATA. 2013. Trends influencing the future for responsible investment. Available at: http://www.camradata.com/publications/docs/future_for_responsible_investment_june_2013.pdf (accessed 12 November 2013).
- 1997. On persistence in mutual fund performance. Journal of Finance 52(1): 57–82. .
- 2010. Analysing the environmental content of financial analyst reports by developing an ESG framework that incorporates business opportunities and the product perspectives. Available at: http://swoba.hhs.se/sicgwp/abs/sicgwp2010_004.htm (accessed 12 November 2013).
- 2006. Favorable versus unfavorable recommendations: the impact on analyst access to management-provided information. Journal of Accounting Research 44(4): 657–689. , .
- 2005. Stakeholder management as a predictor of CEO compensation: main effects and interactions with financial performance. Strategic Management Journal 26(9): 827–840. , .
- CSR Europe, Deloitte, Euronext. 2003. Investing in responsible businesses. Available at: http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-Belgium/Local%20Assets/Documents/CSREInvestinginresponsiblebusiness1(1).pdf (accessed 12 November 2013).
- Deutsche Bank. 2012. Corporate responsibility report 2012. Available at: https://www.db.com/cr/en/docs/CR_Report_2012.pdf (accessed 12 November 2013).
- 2011. Voluntary nonfinancial disclosure and the cost of equity capital: the initiation of corporate social responsibility reporting. Accounting Review 86(1): 59–100. , , , .
- 2012. Nonfinancial disclosure and analyst forecast accuracy: international evidence on corporate social responsibility disclosure. Accounting Review 87(3): 723–759. , , , .
- ECCE (European Centre for Corporate Engagement). 2007. Use of extra-financial information by research analysts and investment managers. Available at: http://www.gmiratings.com/noteworthy/ECCE_Survey_March_2007.pdf (accessed 12 November 2013).
- 2010. The landscape of integrated reporting: Reflections and next steps. Harvard Business School: Boston, MA. , , .
- 2011. Market interest in nonfinancial information. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance 23(4): 113–127. , , .
- 2007. Measure for measure: the relation between forecast accuracy and recommendation profitability of analysts. Journal of Accounting Research 45(3): 567–606. , , .
- Eurosif, ACCA. 2013. What do investors expect from non-financial reporting? Available at: http://www.accaglobal.com/content/dam/acca/global/PDF-technical/sustainability-reporting/tech-tp-wdir.pdf (accessed 12 November 2013).
- 1993. Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds. Journal of Financial Economics 33(1): 3–56. , .
- 2011. On the corporate social responsibility perceptions of equity analysts. Business Ethics-A European Review 20(2): 131–147. .
- 2000. Opportunity platforms and safety nets: corporate citizenship and reputational risk. Business & Society Review 105(1): 85–106. , , .
- 1984. Strategic Management: A Stakeholder Approach. Pitman: Boston, MA. .
- 2009. The relationship between corporate social responsibility and shareholder value: an empirical test of the risk management hypothesis. Strategic Management Journal 30(4): 425–445. , , .
- 2005. The economic implications of corporate financial reporting. Journal of Accounting & Economics 40(1–3): 3–73. , , .
- 1969. Investigating causal relations by econometric models and cross-spectral methods. Econometrica 37(3): 424–438. .
- 1994. Time Series Analysis. Princeton University Press: Princeton, NJ. .
- 1982. Large sample properties of generalized-method of moments estimators. Econometrica 50(4): 1029–1054. .
- 2001. Shareholder value, stakeholder management, and social issues: what's the bottom line? Strategic Management Journal 22(2): 125–139. , .
- 2006. Industry concentration and average stock returns. Journal of Finance 61(4): 1927–1956. , .
- 2009. The predictive content of aggregate analyst recommendations. Journal of Accounting Research 47(3): 799–821. , , .
- 2010. The impact of corporate social responsibility on investment recommendations. In SSRN Working Paper Series. Social Science Electronic Publishing, NY. Available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1507874 (accessed 12 November 2013). , .
- 2004. The timing and value of forecast and recommendation revisions. Journal of Financial Economics 73(3): 433–463. , .
- 2004. Analyzing the analysts: when do recommendations add value? Journal of Finance 59(3): 1083–1124. , , , .
- 2011. Changing the dominant convention: The role of emerging initiatives in mainstreaming ESG. In Sun W, Louche C, Pérez R (ed). Finance and sustainability: towards a new paradigm? A post-crisis agenda (Critical studies on corporate responsibility, governance and sustainability, Volume 2), Emerald Group Publishing Limited, West Yorkshire: 85–117. , , .
- 2001. Value maximization, stakeholder theory, and the corporate objective function. Journal of Applied Corporate Finance 14(3): 8–21. .
- 2007. The influences of financial statement recognition and analyst coverage on the market's valuation of R&D capital. Accounting Review 82(5): 1195–1225. .
- 2007. What makes a stock risky? Evidence from sell-side analysts' risk ratings. Journal of Accounting Research 45(3): 629–665. , , .
- 2006. Corporate social responsibility, customer satisfaction, and market value. Journal of Marketing, 70(4): 1–18. , .
- 2010. Customer satisfaction, analyst stock recommendations, and firm value. Journal of Marketing Research 47(6): 1041–1058. , , .
- 2014. How does CEO tenure matter? The mediating role of firm-employee and firm-customer relations. Strategic Management Journal, online Doi: doi/10.1002/smj.2112. Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/smj.2112/pdf (accessed 11 January 2014). , , .
- 2003. Misery loves companies: rethinking social initiatives by business. Administrative Science Quarterly 48(2): 268–305. , .
- 2006. Measurement of corporate social action: discovering taxonomy in the Kinder Lydenburg Domini ratings data. Business & Society 45(1): 20–46. , .
- 2008. A study of the provision of environmental information in financial analysts' research reports. Sustainable Development 16(3): 180–194. , , .
- 2003. Corporate social and financial performance: a meta-analysis. Organization Studies 24(3): 403–441. , , .
- 2010. The relationship between environmental social governance factors and U.S. stock performance. Journal of Investing 19(3): 104–112. , .
- PRI. 2013. Building the capacity of investment actors to use environmental, social and governance (ESG) information. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/sustainable-business/files/reporting-disclosure/7-building-esg-capacity_en.pdf (accessed 12 November 2013).
- 2012. The informational relevance of corporate social responsibility: evidence from DS400 index reconstitutions. Strategic Management Journal 33(3): 303–314. , , .
- 2005. Testng for mediating variables in management research: concerns, implicaitons, and alternative strategies. Journal of Management 31(3): 330–353. .
- 1982. Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models. In Sociological Methodology, Leinhardt S (ed). American Sociological Association: Washington, DC; 290–312. .
- 2012. The Shareholder Value Myth: How Putting Shareholders First Harms Investors, Corporations, and the Public. Berrett Koehler Publishers: San Francisco, CA. .
- 2010. Corporate responsibility and financial performance: the role of intangible resources. Strategic Management Journal 31(5): 463–490. , , .
- 2007. Giving content to investor sentiment: the role of media in the stock market. Journal of Finance 62(3): 1139–1168. .
- 2002. Firm diversification and asymmetric information: evidence from analysts' forecasts and earnings announcements. Journal of Financial Economics 64(3): 373–396. .
- 1997. The corporate social performance – financial performance link. Strategic Management Journal 18(4): 303–319. , .
- 2006. Components of CEO transformational leadership and corporate social responsibility. Journal of Management Studies 43(8): 1703–1725. , , .
- 1996. Do brokerage analysts' recommendations have investment value? Journal of Finance 51(1): 137–167. .
- 2009. Institutional investors and equity returns: are short-term institutions better informed? Review of Financial Studies 22(2): 893–924. , .
- 2006. The effect of corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities on companies with bad reputations. Journal of Consumer Psychology 16(4): 377–390. , , .
- 2010. Reconsidering Baron and Kenny: myths and truths about mediation analysis. Journal of Consumer Research 37(2): 197–206. , , .