RESEARCH NOTES AND COMMENTARIES
Incremental value creation and appropriation in a world with multiple stakeholders
Article first published online: 1 APR 2014
Copyright © 2014 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Strategic Management Journal
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 137–147, January 2015
How to Cite
Garcia-Castro, R. and Aguilera, R. V. (2015), Incremental value creation and appropriation in a world with multiple stakeholders. Strat. Mgmt. J., 36: 137–147. doi: 10.1002/smj.2241
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2014
- Article first published online: 1 APR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 7 FEB 2014 10:55AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 26 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 APR 2012
- Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. Grant Number: ECO2012-33018
- 1993. Strategic assets and organizational rent. Strategic Management Journal 14(1): 33–46. , .
- 2001. Value creation in E-business. Strategic Management Journal 22(6): 493. , .
- 2005. Towards a property rights foundation for a stakeholder theory of the firm. Journal of Management and Governance 9(1): 5–32. , , .
- 1991. Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of Management 17(1): 99–120. .
- 2010. How to compete in a rebalancing global economy. McKinsey Quarterly 3: 31–38. , , .
- 1998. For whom should corporations be run?: An economic rationale for stakeholder management. Long Range Planning 31(2): 195–200. .
- 2009. Stakeholders, reciprocity, and firm performance. Strategic Management Journal 30(4): 447–456. , , .
- 2000. Value creation versus value capture: towards a coherent definition of value in strategy. British Journal of Management 11(1): 1–15. , .
- 1996. Value-based business strategy. Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 5(1): 5–24. , .
- 1991. Managerial resources and rents. Journal of Management 17(1): 155. , .
- 2011. Value creation and value capture with frictions. Strategic Management Journal 32(11): 1206–1231. , .
- 1994. Lincoln Electric's incentive system: a reservoir of trust. Compensation & Benefits Review 26(6): 29. .
- 1999. When competitive advantage doesn't lead to performance: the resource-based view and stakeholder bargaining power. Organization Science 10(2): 119–133. .
- 2010. The coevolution of rent appropriation and capability development. Strategic Management Journal 31(7): 711–733. .
- 1998. Corporate Strategy: A Resource-Based Approach. Irwin McGraw-Hill: Boston, MA. , .
- 1990. Assessing corporate performance. Business Strategy Review 1(2): 1. , .
- Financial Times. 2013a. EU agrees to cap bankers' bonuses. Financial Times 28 February.
- Financial Times. 2013b. Iberia faces 3,800 cuts under IAG plan. Financial Times 12 February.
- 1984. Strategic Management: A Stakeholder Approach. Prentice Hall: Englewood Cliffs, NJ. .
- 2013. Measuring value creation and appropriation in firms: application of the VCA model. Available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2381822 (accessed 10 June 2013). , , .
- 2012. An extension of the VCA model to estimate stakeholder value appropriation. Academy of Management Proceedings 2012: 1–6. , .
- 2004. Mutual gains or zero sum? Labor relations and firm performance in the airline industry. Industrial & Labor Relations Review 57(2): 163–180. , , .
- 2010. Contemporary Strategy Analysis: Text and Cases. Wiley: Hoboken, NJ. .
- 1998. A vision of the growth process. American Economic Review 88(1): 1–32. .
- 1999. Studying the growth process: a primer. In Capital Formation and Economic Growth, Boskin MJ (ed). Hoover Institution: Stanford, CA. .
- 2010. Managing for stakeholders, stakeholder utility functions, and competitive advantage. Strategic Management Journal 31(1): 58–74. , , .
- 2005. The Embedded Corporation: Corporate Governance and Employment Relations in Japan and the United States. Princeton University Press: Princeton, NJ. .
- 2007. Value creation and value capture: a multilevel perspective. Academy of Management Review 32(1): 180–194. , , .
- 1989. Contracting for Property Rights. Cambridge University Press: New York. .
- 2007. Measuring value creation and its distribution among stakeholders of the firm. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2382099 (accessed 20 June 2007). , .
- 2013. Value creation and appropriation in firms: conceptual review and a method for measurement. Available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2381801 (accessed 10 June 2013). , , .
- 2003. A bargaining perspective on resource advantage. Strategic Management Journal 24(11): 1069–1086. , .
- 2004. How do value creation and competition determine whether a firm appropriates value? Management Science 50(10): 1319–1333. , .
- 2003. Doing the right thing and knowing the right thing to do: why the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Strategic Management Journal 24(10): 1043–1055. .
- 1999. Corporate performance and stakeholder management: balancing shareholder and customer interests in the U.K. privatized water industry. Academy of Management Journal 42(5): 526–538. , .
- 2003. Unraveling the resource-based tangle. Managerial & Decision Economics 24: 309–323. , .
- 1981. Power in Organizations. Pitman: Marshfield, MA. .
- 1980. Competitive Strategy. Free Press: New York. .
- 1987. Theory, strategy and entrepreneurship. In The competitive challenge. Teece DJ (ed.), Ballinger Publishing Company: Cambridge, MA. .