Towards a dynamic theory of strategy
Article first published online: 16 FEB 2007
Copyright © 1991 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Strategic Management Journal
Special Issue: Special Issue
Volume 12, Issue S2, pages 95–117, Winter 1991
How to Cite
Porter, M. E. (1991), Towards a dynamic theory of strategy. Strat. Mgmt. J., 12: 95–117. doi: 10.1002/smj.4250121008
- Issue published online: 16 FEB 2007
- Article first published online: 16 FEB 2007
- The Concept of Corporate Strategy, Dow Jones-Irwin, Homewood, IL, 1971.
- Capabilities and capital investment: New perspectives on capital budgeting’, Harvard Business School Working Paper #92–004, Rev. 7/15/ 1991. and . ‘
- Strategic factor markets: Expectations, luck and business strategy’, Management Science, 32, October 1986, pp. 1231–1241. ‘
- Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage’. Journal of Management, 17 (1), 1991, pp. 99–120. ‘
- The strategic management of uncertainty’, Harvard Business School Working Paper #89–019, Rev. 3/ 1991a. ‘
- Strategic Management Journal, Special Issue, Summer 1991b, pp. 49–68. ‘A resource-based analysis of global competition: The case of the bearings industry’,
- Harvard Business Review, September-October 1988, pp. 96–103. and . ‘Measure costs right: Make the right decisions’,
- The Design of Cost Management Systems. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1991. and .
- Geographic concentration and industrial organization’, unpublished doctoral dissertation, Business Economics Program, Harvard University, 1990. ‘
- Commitment: The Dynamic of Strategy. Free Press, New York, 1991.
- California Management Review, Spring 1991, pp. 119–135. ‘The resource-based theory of competitive advantage: Implications for strategy formulations’,
- Mobilizing Invisible Assets, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA and London, England, 1987. (with ).
- Relevance Lost: The Rise and Fall of Management Accounting, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA, 1987. and .
- Geography and Trade, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1991.
- Business Policy Text and Cases, Richard D. Irwin, Homewood, IL, 1965. , , and .
- The Design School: Reconsidering the basic premises of strategic management’, Strategic Mangagement Journal, 11 (3), March-April 1990, pp. 171–195. ‘
- Diversification, Ricardian Rents, and Tobin's q', Rand’ Journal of Economics, 19 (4), Winter 1988, pp. 623–632. and . ‘
- Diversified expansion by large established firms’, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 15, 1991, pp. 71–89. and . ‘
- The Theory of the Growth of the Firm, Blackwell, Oxford, 1963.
- The resource-based model: An emerging paradigm for strategic management’, Discussion Paper 90–29, J. L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, August 1990. ‘
- Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors, Free Press, New York, 1980.
- Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance, Free Press, New York, 1985.
- Harvard Business Review, May-June, 1987, pp. 43–59. ‘From competitive advantage to corporate strategy’,
- The Competitive Advantage of Nations, Free Press, New York, 1990.
- Porter, M. E., (ed.) Competition in Global Industries, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA, 1986.
- Harvard Businnes Review, July-August 1985, pp. 149–160. and . ‘How information gives you competitive advantage’,
- Harvard Business Review, May-June 1990, pp. 71–91. and . ‘The core competence of the corporation’,
- The Art of the Long View, Doubleday, New York, 1991.
- Leadership in Administration: A Sociological Interpretation, Harper & Row, New York, 1957.
- The theory of business strategy’, Rand Journal of Economics, 20, Spring 1989, pp. 125–137. ‘
- Strategic response to uncertainty’, Harvard Business School case, #N9–391–192, Rev. 4/11/ 1991a. ‘
- Why do good managers choose poor strategies?’ Harvard Business School Case #N9–391–172, Rev. 3/5/ 1991b. ‘
- Harvard Business Review, September-October 1985a, pp. 73–89. ‘Scenarios: Uncharted waters ahead’,
- Harvard Business Review, November-December 1985b, pp. 139–150. ‘Scenarios: Shooting the rapids’,
- A resource-based view of the firm’, Strategic Management Journal, 5 (2), April-June 1984, pp. 171–180. ‘
- Competitive strategy under uncertainty’, Strategic Management Journal, 8 (2), 1987, pp. 197–194. and . ‘