What is strategic management, really? Inductive derivation of a consensus definition of the field
Article first published online: 22 MAR 2007
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Strategic Management Journal
Volume 28, Issue 9, pages 935–955, September 2007
How to Cite
Nag, R., Hambrick, D. C. and Chen, M.-J. (2007), What is strategic management, really? Inductive derivation of a consensus definition of the field. Strat. Mgmt. J., 28: 935–955. doi: 10.1002/smj.615
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2007
- Article first published online: 22 MAR 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 23 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUL 2005
- 1997. Attentional homogeneity in industries: the effect of discretion. Journal of Organizational Behavior 18: 513–532. , .
- 1980. Political influence: strategies employed by organizations to impact legislation in business and economic matters. Academy of Management Journal 23(3): 438–450. , .
- 1985. Administrative science as socially constructed truth. Administrative Science Quarterly 30(4): 497–513. .
- 1991. Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of Management 17(1): 99–120. .
- 2001. Academic Tribes and Territories: Intellectual Enquiry and the Cultures of Disciplines. Society for Research into Higher Education. Open University Press: Bristol, PA. .
- 1966. The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge. Doubleday: Garden City, NY. , .
- 1981. The contributions of marketing to strategic management. Academy of Management Review 6(4): 621–632. .
- 2002. The domain of strategic management: history and Evolution. In Handbook of Strategy and Management, PettigrewA, ThomasH, WhittingtonR (eds). Sage: London; 31–51. , , .
- 1980. The historical development of the strategic management concept. Academy of Management Review 5(2): 219–224. .
- 1994. Pfeffer's barriers to the advance of organizational science: a rejoinder. Academy of Management Review 19(2): 331–341. , .
- 1997. Extracting team mental models through textual analysis. Journal of Organizational Behavior 18: 533–558. .
- 1990. Excess resources, utilization costs, and mode of entry. Academy of Management Journal 33(4): 780–800. .
- 2001. Organizations unfettered: organizational form in an information-intensive economy. Academy of Management Journal 44(6): 1135–1148. , .
- 1983. The hierarchy of the sciences? American Journal of Sociology 89(1): 111–139. .
- 1991. Isomorphism and external support in conflicting institutional environments: a study of drug-abuse treatment units. Academy of Management Journal 34(3): 636–661. , , .
- 1990. Crisis and the content of managerial communications: a study of the focus of attention of top managers in surviving and failing Firms. Administrative Science Quarterly 35(4): 634–657. , .
- 1983. The iron cage revisited: institutional isomorphism and collective rationality in organizational fields. American Sociological Review 48: 147–160. , .
- 1933. The Division of Labor in Society. Free Press: New York. .
- 1991. Keeping an eye on the mirror: image and identity in organizational adaptation. Academy of Management Journal 34(3): 517–554. , .
- 1990. Introduction: the need for perspectives. In Perspectives on Strategic Management, FredricksonJW (ed). Harper Business: New York; 1–8. .
- 1983. Local Knowledge: Further Essays in Interpretive Anthropology. Basic Books: New York. .
- 1993. The textual approach: risk and blame in disaster sensemaking. Academy of Management Journal 36(6): 1465–1514. .
- 1990. Organizational differences in management compensation and financial performance. Academy of Management Journal 33(4): 663–691. , .
- 1987. The Linguistic Construction of Reality. Croom Helm: New York. .
- 1964. Anomy in scientific communities. Social Problems 12(2): 186–195. .
- 1965. The Scientific Community. Basic Books: New York. .
- 1961. Lexis as a linguistic level. In In memory of J. R. Firth, BazellCE, CatfordJC, HallidayMAK, RobinsH (eds). Longmans: London; 148–162. .
- 1990. The adolescence of strategic management, 1980–1985: critical perceptions and reality. In Perspectives on Strategic Management, FredricksonJW (ed). Harper Business: New York; 237–260. .
- 2004. The disintegration of strategic management: it's time to consolidate our gains. Strategic Organization 2(1): 91–98. .
- 1989. Organizational Ecology. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA. , .
- 1997. Technology brokering and innovation in a product development firm. Administrative Science Quarterly 42(4): 716–749. , .
- 1990. Architectural innovation: the reconfiguration of existing product technologies and the failure of established firms. Administrative Science Quarterly 35(1): 9–30. , .
- 1999. Theory and research in strategic management: swings of a pendulum. Journal of Management 25(3): 417–456. , , , .
- 1987. Organizational behavior: some new directions for I/O psychology. Annual Review of Psychology 38: 669–718. , .
- Jacobellis v. Ohio. 1964. 378 U.S. 184. Supreme Court of Ohio.
- 2001. Fairness perceptions as a moderator in the curvilinear relationships between job demands, and job performance and job satisfaction. Academy of Management Journal 44(5): 1039–1050. .
- 1981. The contributions of administrative behavior to strategic management. Academy of Management Review 6(4): 633–642. .
- 2001. Cross-functional project groups in research and new product development: diversity, communications, job stress, and outcomes. Academy of Management Journal 44(3): 547–555. .
- 1986. Impact of work experiences on attitudes toward sexual harassment. Administrative Science Quarterly 31(3): 422–438. , .
- 1962. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL. .
- 1977. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 33: 159–174. , .
- 1979. Laboratory Life: The Social Construction of Scientific Facts. Sage: Beverly Hills, CA. , .
- 1965. Business Policy: Text and Cases. RD Irwin: Homewood, IL. , , , .
- 1996. On Social Structure and Science. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL. .
- 1973. The Sociology of Science: Theoretical and Empirical Investigations. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL. , .
- 1991. What is strategy's distinctive competence? Journal of Management 17(4): 821–833. .
- 2004. The strategic management field: a survey-based status review and assessment. Academy of Management Proceedings. , .
- 1973. The Nature of Managerial Work. Harper & Row: New York. .
- 1998. Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour through the Wilds of Strategic Management. Free Press: New York. , , .
- 1994. Psychometric Theory (3rd edn). McGraw-Hill: New York. , .
- 2000. An organizational analysis of organizational theory. Contemporary Sociology 29(3): 469–476. .
- 1993. Barriers to the advance of organizational science: paradigm development as a dependent variable. Academy of Management Review 18(4): 599–620. .
- 1999. Industry categories and the politics of the comparable firm in CEO compensation. Administrative Science Quarterly 44(1): 112–144. , , .
- 1981. The contributions of industrial organization to strategic management. Academy of Management Review 6(4): 609–620. .
- 1969. Organizational behavior: an approach from psychology. Human Relations 22(4): 345–354. .
- 2004. Changes in the intellectual structure of strategic management research: a bibliometric study of the Strategic Management Journal, 1980–2000. Strategic Management Journal 25(10): 981–1004. , .
- 1990. Causal ambiguity, barriers to imitation, and sustainable competitive advantage. Academy of Management Review 15(1): 88–102. , .
- 1994. Fundamental Issues in Strategy: A Research Agenda. Harvard Business School Press: Boston, MA. , , .
- 1980. A survey of the current state of business policy research. Strategic Management Journal 1(2): 119–130. , .
- 1988. Development of the strategic management field: some accomplishments and challenges. In Strategic Management Frontiers, GrantJH (ed). JAI Press: Greenwich, CT; 17–31. , .
- 1979. Strategic Management: A New View of Business Policy and Planning. Little Brown: Boston, MA. , .
- 1990. Industrial Market Structure and Economic Performance (3rd edn). Houghton Mifflin: Boston, MA. , .
- 1995. Here and everywhere: sociology of scientific knowledge. Annual Review of Sociology 21: 289–321. .
- 2000. Language and the Lexicon: An Introduction. Arnold: London. .
- 1985. Strategic management in an enacted world. Academy of Management Review 10(4): 724–736. , .
- 2001. Business policy and strategy as a professional field. In Rethinking Strategy, VolberdaH, ElfringT (eds). Sage: London; 26–40. .
- 1966. The General Inquirer: A Computer Approach to Content Analysis. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. , , , .
- 1990. Doctoral education in the field of business policy and strategy. Journal of Management 16(2): 361–398. , , , , , , et al.
- 1955. Applications of correlation models for biserial data. Journal of the American Statistical Association 50(272): 1078–1095. .
- 1990. Contributions and impediments of economic analysis to the study of strategic management. In Perspectives on Strategic Management, FredricksonJW (ed). Harper Business: New York; 39–80. .
- 1982. Strategic management in a new framework. Strategic Management Journal 3(3): 245–264. , .
- 2003. Social Issues and management: our lost cause found. Journal of Management 29(6): 859–881. , , .
- 2002. Concordance (3.0 edn) (software). http://www.concordancesoftware.co.uk/ [7 January 2007]. .
- 1984. A resource-based view of the firm. Strategic Management Journal 5(2): 171–180. .
- 1984. The fragmented state of management studies: reasons and consequences. Journal of Management Studies 21(3): 331–348. .
- 2000. The Intellectual and Social Organization of the Sciences (2nd edn). Oxford University Press: Oxford, U.K. .
- 1956. Language, Thought, and Reality: Selected Writings. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA. .
- 1979. Transaction-cost economics: the governance of contractual relations. Journal of Law and Economics 22(2): 233–261. .