Do managerial ties in China always produce value? Competition, uncertainty, and domestic vs. foreign firms
Article first published online: 26 FEB 2008
Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Strategic Management Journal
Volume 29, Issue 4, pages 383–400, April 2008
How to Cite
Li, J. J., Poppo, L. and Zhou, K. Z. (2008), Do managerial ties in China always produce value? Competition, uncertainty, and domestic vs. foreign firms. Strat. Mgmt. J., 29: 383–400. doi: 10.1002/smj.665
- Issue published online: 26 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 26 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 3 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Received: 29 NOV 2005
- 2000. How much do your co-opetitors' capabilities matter in the face of technological change? Strategic Management Journal, March Special Issue 21: 387–404. .
- 2000. Collaborative networks, structural holes, and innovation: a longitudinal study. Administrative Science Quarterly 45: 425–455. .
- 1991. Multiple Regression: Testing and Interpreting Interactions. Sage Publications: Newbury Park, CA. , .
- 1988. Structural equation modeling in practice: a review and recommended two-step approach. Psychological Bulletin 103(3): 411–423. , .
- 2000. Multinationality- performance relationship: a review and reconceptualization. International Journal of Organizational Analysis 8(1): 48–67. , .
- 2004. Social networks and loss of capital. Social Networks 26: 91–111. , .
- 2003. Social capital and entrepreneurial performance in Russia: a longitudinal study. Organization Studies 24: 535–556. .
- 2004. Entrepreneurs' access to private equity in China: the role of social capital. Organization Science 15: 159–172. , .
- 2004. Friends or strangers: firm-specific uncertainty, market uncertainty, and network partner selection. Organization Science 15(3): 259–275. , , .
- 1996. From fiefs to clans and network capitalism: explaining China's emerging economic order. Administrative Science Quarterly 41: 600–628. , .
- 1999. Organizations as adaptive systems in complex environments: the case of China. Organization Science 10: 237–252. , .
- 1997. The contingent value of social capital. Administrative Science Quarterly 42: 339–365. .
- BusinessWeek. 2006. The hunt for Chinese talent. Review of Guanxi (The Art of Relationships) Microsoft, China, And Bill Gates's Plan To Win The Road Ahead, by Robert Buderi and Gregory T. Huang. 22 May. Available at: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_21/b3985117.htm (accessed 19 November 2006).
- 2001. Inside Chinese Business: A Guild for Managers Worldwide. Harvard Business School Press: Boston, MA. .
- 2003. A three-stage theory of international expansion: the link between multinationality and performance in the service sector. Journal of International Business Studies 34: 5–18. , , .
- 2004. Emergent patterns of strategy, environment and performance in a transition economy. Strategic Management Journal 25(4): 347–364. , .
- 1998. Socially embedded consumer transactions: for what kinds of purchases do people most often use networks? American Sociological Review 63(5): 619–637. , .
- 1993. Multinational Enterprise and the Global Economy. Addison Wesley: Wokingham, UK. .
- 1998. An overview of relations with national governments. New Political Economy 3(2): 280–284. .
- 2004. Successful localization programs in China: an important element in strategy implementation. Journal of World Business 39(3): 268–282. , , .
- 2006. Building guanxi with government for foreign companies in China: a case study on the application of commitment instrument. The Business Review, Cambridge 6(2): 119–125. .
- 1997. The external ties of top executives: implications for strategic choices and performance. Administrative Science Quarterly 42: 654–681. , .
- 2003. Geographic scope and multinational enterprise performance. Strategic Management Journal 24(13): 1289–1306. , .
- 2003. Which ties matter when? The contingent effects of interorganizational partnerships on IPO success. Strategic Management Journal 24(2): 127–144. , .
- 1998. The declining significance of guanxi in China's economic transition. The China Quarterly 54: 254–282. .
- 2004. Corporate political activity: a review and research agenda. Journal of Management 30(6): 837–857. , ., .
- 2001. The evolution of firm networks: from emergence to early growth of the firm. Strategic Management Journal 22(3): 275–286. , .
- 2004. The institutional effects on strategic alliance partner selection in transition economies: China vs. Russia. Organization Science 15(2): 173–185. , , , , .
- 2000. Strategy in emerging economies. Academy of Management Journal 43: 249–267. , , , .
- 1982. Aggregation bias in estimates of perceptual agreement. Journal of Applied Psychology 67:(April): 219–229. .
- 2001. Exchange structures in transition: lending and trade relations in Chinese business groups. American Sociological Review 66(3): 336–360. .
- 1998. Guanxi, xinyong and Chinese business networks. The British Journal of Sociology 49: 75–96. , .
- 1995. Strategy and environment as determinants of performance: evidence from the Japanese machine tool industry. Strategic Management Journal 16(7): 497–518. , .
- 2005. The formation of managerial networks of foreign firms in China: the effects of strategic orientations. Asia Pacific Journal of Management 22: 423–443. .
- 2003. Industrial dynamics and managerial networking in an emerging market: the case of China. Strategic Management Journal 24(13): 1315–1327. .
- 2005. Shifts of Chinese government policies on inbound foreign direct investment. In International Business and Government Relations in the 21st Century, GrosseR (ed). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK; 292–313. .
- 2002. The effects of entrepreneurial proclivity and market orientation on business performance. Journal of Marketing 66: 18–32. , , .
- 2002. Is there a liability of foreignness in global banking? An empirical test of banks' x-efficiency. Strategic Management Journal 23(1): 55–75. , .
- 1996. Survival of businesses using collaborative relationships to commercialize complex goods. Strategic Management Journal 17(3): 169–195. , .
- 2001. China and the Global Economy. Palgrave: Hampshire, UK. .
- 1990. Institutions, Institutional Change, and Economic Performance: Political Economy of Institutions and Decisions. Cambridge University Press; Cambridge, UK. .
- 2003. Institutional transitions and strategic choices. Academy of Management Review 28: 275–296. .
- 2000. Managerial ties and firm performance in a transition economy: the nature of a micro-macro link. Academy of Management Journal 43: 486–501. , .
- 1994. Market uncertainty and the social character of economic exchange. Administrative Science Quarterly 39: 458–483. .
- 1998. Network forms of organization. Annual Review of Sociology 24: 57–76. , .
- 1986. Self-reports in organizational research: problems and prospects. Journal of Management 12:(Winter): 531–543. , .
- 1985. Competitive Advantage. The Free Press: New York. .
- 1996. Commentary on the nature of institutional embeddedness. Advances in Strategic Management 13: 293–300. .
- 2006. Today's state-owned enterprises of China: are they dying dinosaurs or dynamic dynamos? Strategic Management Journal 27(9): 825–843. , , , .
- 2003. Interfirm cooperation and customer orientation. Journal of Marketing Research 40(4): 421–436. , .
- 1990. Management of the political imperative in international business. Strategic Management Journal 11(2): 141–151. , , .
- 1995. Managing legitimacy: strategic and institutional approaches. Academy of Management Journal 20: 571–610. .
- 1998. Uncertainty in the transaction environment: an empirical test. Strategic Management Journal 19(1): 1–23. , .
- 2005. The effect of cultural distance on entry mode choice, international diversification, and MNE performance: a meta-analysis. Journal of International Business Studies 36: 270–283. , , .
- 1998. Can guanxi be a source of sustained competitive advantage for doing business in China? Academy of Management Executive 12: 64–73. .
- 1997. Social structure and competition in interfirm networks: the paradox of embeddedness. Administrative Science Quarterly 42: 35–67. .
- 2004. Good ‘guanxi’ is commercial sense in China. Financial Times, 22 Oct., Business Life, London, UK. edn. Available at: http://search.ft.com/nonFtArticle?id=041022000939 (accessed 1 May 2006). .
- 1976. Educational organizations as loosely coupled systems. Administrative Science Quarterly 21: 1–19. .
- 1996. Guanxi: connections as substitutes for formal institutional support. Academy of Management Journal 39: 1641–1658. , .
- 1994. Gifts, Favors and Banquets: The Art of Social Relationships in China. Cornell University Press: Ithaca, NY. .
- 1995. Overcoming the liability of foreignness. Academy of Management Journal 38(2): 341–363. .
- 1997. The dynamics of the liability of foreignness: a global study of survival in financial services. Strategic Management Journal 18(6): 439–464. , .
- 1993. From transaction cost to transactional value analysis: implications for the study of interogranizational strategies. Journal of Management Studies 30: 131–144. , .
- 2006. Organizational change in emerging economies: drivers and consequences. Journal of International Business Studies 37(2): 248–263. , , .
- 2005. The effects of strategic orientations on technology- and market-based breakthrough innovations. Journal of Marketing 69:(April): 42–60. , , .