The authors thank Yong-Chun Fu for help in preparing the ionic liquid. Financial support from the Natural Science Foundation of China (grants no. 20433040, 20273056, 20673090), the Key Scientific Project of Fujian Province, China (2005HZ01-3), and the Fonds der Chemischen Industrie (Germany) is gratefully acknowledged.
The Creation of Nanostructures on an Au(111) Electrode by Tip-Induced Iron Deposition from an Ionic Liquid†
Article first published online: 14 AUG 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
Volume 4, Issue 9, pages 1355–1358, September 2008
How to Cite
Wei, Y.-M., Zhou, X.-S., Wang, J.-G., Tang, J., Mao, B.-W. and Kolb, D. M. (2008), The Creation of Nanostructures on an Au(111) Electrode by Tip-Induced Iron Deposition from an Ionic Liquid. Small, 4: 1355–1358. doi: 10.1002/smll.200800037
- Issue published online: 1 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 14 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Received: 19 JAN 2008
- Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 20433040, 20273056, 20673090
- Key Scientific Project of Fujian Province, China. Grant Number: 2005HZ01-3
- Fonds der Chemischen Industrie (Germany)
- ionic liquids;
High-precision nanostructuring with an STM combined with electrodeposition of a reactive metal allows the creation of iron clusters in an ionic liquid. This type of structuring would not be possible in an aqueous solution. The image shows a ring of 48 iron clusters on an Au(111) electrode surface. The diameter of the ring is 120 nm and the average height of the clusters is 0.6 nm.