On the Desirability of Integrating Research Methods into Overall Systems Approaches in the Training of Engineers: Analysis Using SSM
Article first published online: 22 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Systems Research and Behavioral Science
Volume 31, Issue 1, pages 47–66, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Yearworth, M. and Edwards, G. (2014), On the Desirability of Integrating Research Methods into Overall Systems Approaches in the Training of Engineers: Analysis Using SSM. Syst. Res., 31: 47–66. doi: 10.1002/sres.2167
- Issue published online: 23 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 22 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 10 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 23 AUG 2011
- 1981. The art and science of mess management. Interfaces 11(1): 20–26. .
- 2000. Doing Critical Management Research. Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA. , .
- 2011. Socio-technical systems. LSCITS Socio-Technical Systems Engineering Handbook. University of St Andrews. http://archive.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/STSE-Handbook/SocioTechSystems <Accessed: 10 December 2012> .
- 1999. Process modelling from reflective practice for engineering quality. Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems 16(4): 287–313. .
- 2010. The importance of being process. Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems 27(3): 189–199. .
- 2000. Doing it Differently: Systems for Rethinking Construction. Thomas Telford: London. , .
- 2009. Naivety in systems engineering research: are we putting the methodological cart before the philosophical horse? 7th Annual Conference on Systems Engineering Research (CSER 2009), Loughborough, UK. .
- 2003. Business Research Methods, 3rd. Oxford University Press: Oxford. , .
- 2007. Agent-based modelling as scientific method: a case study analysing primate social behaviour. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B—Biological Sciences 362(1485): 1685–1698. , , .
- Systems activists or systems practitioners? Barriers to embedding systemic problem structuring methods in engineering industry. EURO Journal on Decision Processes, in review. , . 201x.
- 1979. Sociological Paradigms and Organisational Analysis: Elements of the Sociology of Corporate Life. Ashgate: 1992. , .
- 2009. Modeling and Simulation of Systems Using MATLAB and Simulink. Taylor & Francis: Boca Raton, FL. .
- 1981. Systems Thinking, Systems Practice. Wiley: Chichester. .
- 1999. Systems Thinking, Systems Practice; and, Soft Systems Methodology: A 30-year Retrospective. John Wiley: Chichester. .
- 2006. Reply to Eden and Ackermann: any future for problem structuring methods? Journal of the Operational Research Society 57(7): 769–771. .
- 2010. Researching real-life: reflections on 30 years of action research. Systems Research and Behavioral Science 27(2): 129–132. .
- 1998. Action research: its nature and validity. Systemic Practice and Action Research 11(1): 9–21. , .
- 1974. Learning by doing: systems education at Lancaster University. Journal of Systems Engineering 4(1): 40–51. , .
- 2006. Learning for Action: A Short Definitive Account of Soft Systems Methodology, and Its Use for Practitioner, Teachers and Students. John Wiley: Chichester. , .
- 1999. Soft Systems Methodology in Action: Including a 30-year Retrospective [new ed.]. Wiley: Chichester. , .
- 2009. Business Research: A Practical Guide for Undergraduate & Postgraduate Students, 3rd ed. Palgrave Macmillan: Basingstoke. , .
- 2001. Wicked problems and social complexity. http://cognexus.org/wpf/wickedproblems.pdf. <Accessed: 10 December 2012> .
- Cued. 2011. Soft systems methodology. http://www.ifm.eng.cam.ac.uk/dstools/control/softsm.html <Accessed: 10 December 2012>
- 2010. Problem-structuring methods and project management: an example of stakeholder involvement using hierarchical process modelling methodology. Journal of the Operational Research Society 61(6): 893–904. , , .
- 2012. A view of systems practice: enabling quality in design. Systems Engineering. , , , .
- 2006. Where next for problem structuring methods. Journal of the Operational Research Society 57(7): 766–768. , .
- 2006. System safety and the law. The 1st Institution of Engineering and Technology International Conference on System Safety. .
- Elliott C, Deasley P. (eds.). 2007. Creating Systems that Work: Principles of Engineering Systems for the 21st Century. Royal Academy of Engineering: London.
- 2011. Overcoming barriers to transferring systems engineering practices into the rail sector. Systems Engineering 15: 203–212. , , , , .
- 1958. Industrial dynamics—a major breakthrough for decision makers. Harvard Business Review 36(4): 37–66. .
- 2007. System dynamics—a personal view of the first fifty years. System Dynamics Review 23(2–3): 345–358. .
- 1998. Uncertain inference using interval probability theory. International Journal of Approximate Reasoning 19(3-4): 247–264. , , .
- 2011. Case article—teaching soft systems methodology and a blueprint for a module. INFORMS Transactions on Education 12(1): 31–42. .
- 2007. Systems Engineering: A 21st Century Systems Methodology. Wiley: Hoboken, NJ. .
- 1997. Business Research: A Practical Guide for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students. Macmillan Business: Basingstoke. , .
- INCOSE. 2012. Guide to the Systems Engineering Body of Knowledge (SEBoK) v. 1.0.1. http://www.sebokwiki.org/1.0.1/ <Accessed: 10 December 2012>
- 2001. Critical systems thinking and practice. European Journal of Operational Research 128(2): 233–244. .
- 2000. A Systems Approach to Management. Kluwer: New York. .
- 2003. Systems Thinking: Creative Holism for Managers. John Wiley: Chichester. .
- 2010. Reflections on the development and contribution of critical systems thinking and practice. Systems Research and Behavioral Science 27(2): 133–139. .
- 1984. Towards a system of systems methodologies. Journal of the Operational Research Society 35(6): 473–486. , .
- 2000. Participatory action research. In Handbook of Qualitative Research, Denzin NK, Lincoln YS (eds.), 2nd ed. Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA. , .
- 2006. On becoming expert in the use of problem structuring methods. Journal of the Operational Research Society 57(7): 822–829. .
- 2006. Combining PSMs with hard OR methods: the philosophical and practical challenges. Journal of the Operational Research Society 57(7): 856–867. , .
- 1962. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. University of Chicago Press: Chicago. .
- 2003. The new dynamics of strategy: sense-making in a complex and complicated world. IBM Systems Journal 42(3): 462–483. , .
- 1998. The greater whole: towards a synthesis of system dynamics and soft systems methodology. European Journal of Operational Research 107(1): 214–235. , .
- 2009. Abductive fallacies with agent-based modeling and system dynamics. In Epistemological Aspects of Computer Simulation in the Social Sciences—Second International Workshop, EPOS 2006, Squazzoni F (ed.). Springer-Verlag: Berlin. .
- 2004. A systems-based approach for supporting discourse in decision making. 4th International Conference on Decision Making in Urban and Civil Engineering. Blackwell Publishing: Porto. , .
- 2005. An argumentation-based method for managing complex issues in design of infrastructural systems. Workshop on Complexity in Design and Engineering. Elsevier Sci Ltd: Glasgow. , .
- 2006. An argumentation-based method for managing complex issues in design of infrastructural systems. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 91(12): 1535–1545. , .
- 1997a. Dealing with coercion: critical systems heuristics and beyond. Systems Practice 10(1): 37–57. .
- 1997b. Developing the methodology of TSI: from the oblique use of methods to creative design. Systems Practice 10(3): 305–319. .
- 2001. Multimethodology—mixing and matching methods. In Rational Analysis for Problematic World Revisited, Rosenhead J, Mingers J (eds.). Wiley: Chichester. .
- 2003. A classification of the philosophical assumptions of management science methods. Journal of the Operational Research Society 54(6): 559–570. .
- 2011. Soft OR comes of age—but not everywhere! Omega-International Journal of Management Science 39(6): 729–741. .
- 2004. Problem structuring methods in action. European Journal of Operational Research 152(3): 530–554. , .
- 2011. Introduction to the special issue: teaching soft O.R., problem structuring methods, and multimethodology. INFORMS Transactions on Education 12(1): 1–3. , .
- 2002. Computer simulation in sociology: what contribution? Social Science Computer Review 20(1): 43–57. .
- 2004. Systems Modelling: Theory and Practice. Wiley: Chichester. .
- 1973. Dilemmas in a General Theory of Planning. Policy Sciences 4(2): 155–169. , .
- 1996. What's the problem? An introduction to problem structuring methods. Interfaces 26(6): 117–131. .
- 2001. A new paradigm of analysis. In Rational Analysis for a Problematic World Revisited, Rosenhead J, Mingers J (eds.). Wiley: Chichester. , .
- 2009. Research Methods for Business Students, 5th ed. Financial Times Prentice Hall: Harlow. , , .
- 1996. Kurt Lewin's change theory in the field and in the classroom: notes toward a model of managed learning. Systems Practice 9(1): 27–47. .
- 1991. The Reflective Practitioner: How Professionals Think in Action. Avebury: Aldershot. .
- 1990. The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. Random House: London. .
- 2000. Business Dynamics: Systems Thinking and Modeling for a Complex World. Irwin McGraw-Hill: Boston, MA. .
- 2001. System dynamics modeling: tools for learning in a complex world. California Management Review 43(4): 8–25. .
- 1998. Experience in the practice of one tradition of multimethodology. Systemic Practice and Action Research 11(2): 153–168. , .
- 2010. Towards a framework of research methodology choices in systems engineering. 8th Annual Conference on Systems Engineering Research (CSER 2010), Hoboken, NJ. , , .
- 2006. Evaluating problem-structuring methods: developing an approach to show the value and effectiveness of PSMs. Journal of the Operational Research Society 57(7): 842–855. .
- 2009. Understanding problem structuring methods interventions. European Journal of Operational Research 199(3): 823–833. .
- 2012. Professional Development Programme; Developing Facilitative Leadership Capability, Summer School. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/eng-systems-centre/idc/latest/latest-2011-12/summerschool.html <Accessed: 10 December 2012> , .
- 2011. The role of the systems supervisor for an engineering doctorate in systems. 55th Meeting of the International Society for the Systems Sciences, Hull, UK. .
- 2011. Systems practice in engineering: reflections on teaching research methods and contribution to methodological development. 9th Annual Conference on Systems Engineering Research (CSER 2011), Los Angeles, CA. , , .
- 2012. Critical awareness of worldviews in organisational change. 25th Conference on Operational Research (Euro 2012), Vilnius, Lithuania. , , , .