Authors contributions: G.B.: conception and design, collection and assembly data, data analysis and interpretation, and manuscript writing; N.W.: collection and assembly data; A.G. and T.R.A.: data analysis and interpretation; I.O.: collection and assembly data and data analysis and interpretation; J.-M.B.: conception and design, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, and final approval manuscript; B.R.: conception and design, collection and assembly data, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, and final approval manuscript.
Tissue-Specific Stem Cells
Role of the P2Y13 Receptor in the Differentiation of Bone Marrow Stromal Cells into Osteoblasts and Adipocytes
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2013
© AlphaMed Press
Volume 31, Issue 12, pages 2747–2758, December 2013
How to Cite
Biver, G., Wang, N., Gartland, A., Orriss, I., Arnett, T. R., Boeynaems, J.-M. and Robaye, B. (2013), Role of the P2Y13 Receptor in the Differentiation of Bone Marrow Stromal Cells into Osteoblasts and Adipocytes. STEM CELLS, 31: 2747–2758. doi: 10.1002/stem.1411
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 APR 2013 03:52AM EST
- Manuscript Received: 2 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 7 MAR 2013
- Actions de Recherche Concertés de la Communauté Française de Belgique
- Belgian Program on Interuniversity Poles of Attraction Initiated by the Belgian State
- Federal Service for Science, Technology and Culture
- Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique Médicale
- European Commission under the seventh Framework Programme. Grant Number: #202231
- 2Bone stem cells. J Cell Biochem Suppl 1998;30–31:73–82..
- 6Activation of Sirt1 decreases adipocyte formation during osteoblast differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells. Cells Tissues Organs 2009;189:93–97., , et al.
- 8Leptin acts on human marrow stromal cells to enhance differentiation to osteoblasts and to inhibit differentiation to adipocytes. Endocrinology 1999;140:1630–1638., , et al.
- 14Regulation of osteoblast differentiation by Runx2. Adv Exp Med Biol 2010;658:43–49..
- 15Cbfa1/Runx2, an essential transcription factor for the regulation of osteoblast differentiation. Nihon Rinsho 2002;60( Suppl 3):91–97..
- 17Understanding adipocyte differentiation. Physiol Rev 1998;78:783–809., , .
- 18Adipogenesis and osteoblastogenesis: Trans-differentiation in the pathophysiology of bone disorders. Hippokratia 2011;15:18–21., , et al.
- 26ATP P2 receptors and regulation of bone effector cells. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 2004;4:125–127..
- 27Expression and function of P2 receptors in bone. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 2002;2:432–439., .
- 31Low-intensity pulsed ultrasound-dependent osteoblast proliferation occurs by via activation of the P2Y receptor: Role of the P2Y1 receptor. Bone 2010;46:355–362., , et al.
- 37Bone phenotypes of P2 receptor knockout mice. Front Biosci (Schol Ed) 2011;3:1038–1046., , et al.
- 39Reduced Bone Turnover in Mice Lacking the P2Y13 Receptor of ADP. Mol Endocrinol 2012;26:142–152., , et al.
- 41Centrifugal isolation of bone marrow from bone: An improved method for the recovery and quantitation of bone marrow osteoprogenitor cells from rat tibiae and femurae. Calcif Tissue Int 1999;65:411–413., , et al.
- 46Comparative hydrolysis of P2 receptor agonists by NTPDases 1, 2, 3 and 8. Purinergic Signal 2005;1:193–204., , et al.
- 47Control of the adipsin gene in adipocyte differentiation.Identification of distinct nuclear factors binding to single- and double-stranded DNA. J Biol Chem 1990;265:477–482., , et al.
- 58Increased bone turnover in late postmenopausal women is a major determinant of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 1996;11:337–349., , et al.
- 59Osteoporosis and the replacement of cell populations of the marrow by adipose tissue.A quantitative study of 84 iliac bone biopsies. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1971;80:147–154., , et al.