Telephone: 82-2-880-5852; Fax: 82-2-878-5852
Tissue-Specific Stem Cells
Article first published online: 11 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 9, pages 2254–2262, September 2009
How to Cite
Lee, H. W., Kim, S. Y., Kim, A. Y., Lee, E. J., Choi, J.-Y. and Kim, J. B. (2009), Adiponectin Stimulates Osteoblast Differentiation Through Induction of COX2 in Mesenchymal Progenitor Cells. STEM CELLS, 27: 2254–2262. doi: 10.1002/stem.144
Author contributions: H.W.L.: conception and design, collection and/or assembly of data, manuscript writing; S.Y.K., A.Y.K.: collection and/or assembly of data; E.J.L.: provision of study material, data analysis and interpretation; J.Y.C.: data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing; J.B.K.: conception and design, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS June 11, 2009.
- Issue published online: 8 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 11 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 11 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 29 DEC 2008
- Stem Cell Research Center of the First Century Frontier Research Program. Grant Number: SC-3230
- National Research Laboratory Program of the Korea Science and Engineering Foundation. Grant Number: R0A-2004-000-10359-0(2008)
- BK21 Research Fellowship from the Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development
- 1Mesenchymal stem cells: Building blocks for molecular medicine in the 21st century. Trends Mol Med 2001; 7: 259–264., .
- 2Fat's loss is bone's gain. J Clin Invest 2004; 113: 805–806., .
- 3Playing with bone and fat. J Cell Biochem 2006; 98: 251–266., , et al.
- 4Osteoporosis in patients with diabetes mellitus. J Bone Miner Res 2007; 22: 1317–1328., , et al.
- 5Mechanisms of disease: Is osteoporosis the obesity of bone? Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 2006; 2: 35–43., .
- 6Bone and fat connection in aging bone. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2008; 20: 429–434..
- 7Correlation of obesity and osteoporosis: Effect of fat mass on the determination of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23: 17–29., , et al.
- 8The relationship between serum resistin, leptin, adiponectin, ghrelin levels and bone mineral density in middle-aged men. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2005; 63: 131–138., , et al.
- 9Leptin inhibits bone formation through a hypothalamic relay: A central control of bone mass. Cell 2000; 100: 197–207., , et al.
- 10Adiponectin and adiponectin receptors in insulin resistance, diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome. J Clin Invest 2006; 116: 1784–1792., , et al.
- 11ACRP30/adiponectin: An adipokine regulating glucose and lipid metabolism. Trends Endocrinol Metab 2002; 13: 84–89., , .
- 12Hypoadiponectinemia is associated with visceral fat accumulation and insulin resistance in Japanese men with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism 2003; 52: 1274–1278., , et al.
- 13Adiponectin modulates inflammatory reactions via calreticulin receptor-dependent clearance of early apoptotic bodies. J Clin Invest 2007; 117: 375–386., , et al.
- 14Cloning of adiponectin receptors that mediate antidiabetic metabolic effects. Nature 2003; 423: 762–769., , et al.
- 15Adiponectin increases fatty acid oxidation in skeletal muscle cells by sequential activation of AMP-activated protein kinase, p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase, and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha. Diabetes 2006; 55: 2562–2570., , et al.
- 16Adiponectin stimulates human osteoblasts proliferation and differentiation via the MAPK signaling pathway. Exp Cell Res 2005; 309: 99–109., , et al.
- 17Prostaglandins and bone: Physiology and pathophysiology. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 1999; 7: 419–421..
- 18The in vivo anabolic actions of prostaglandins in bone. Bone 1997; 21: 297–304., .
- 19Systemic administration of an anabolic dose of PGE2 in young rats increases the osteogenic capacity of bone marrow. Bone 1997; 20: 521–526., , .
- 20Inducible cyclo-oxygenase (COX-2) mediates the induction of bone formation by mechanical loading in vivo. J Bone Miner Res 1996; 11: 1688–1693..
- 21Cyclooxygenase-2 regulates mesenchymal cell differentiation into the osteoblast lineage and is critically involved in bone repair. J Clin Invest 2002; 109: 1405–1415., , et al.
- 22Adiponectin and its receptors are expressed in bone-forming cells. Bone 2004; 35: 842–849., , et al.
- 23Paracrine regulation of fat cell formation in bone marrow cultures via adiponectin and prostaglandins. J Clin Invest 2002; 109: 1303–1310., , et al.
- 24Berberine promotes osteoblast differentiation by Runx2 activation with p38 MAPK. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23: 1227–1237., , et al.
- 25Signal transduction pathways regulating cyclooxygenase-2 expression: Potential molecular targets for chemoprevention. Biochem Pharmacol 2004; 68: 1089–1100., .
- 26Stimulation of c-Jun activity by CBP: c-Jun residues Ser63/73 are required for CBP induced stimulation in vivo and CBP binding in vitro. Oncogene 1995; 11: 2509–2514., , et al.
- 27Reduced ubiquitin-dependent degradation of c-Jun after phosphorylation by MAP kinases. Science 1997; 275: 400–402., , .
- 28p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase regulates low potassium-induced c-Jun phosphorylation and apoptosis in cultured cerebellar granule neurons. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 5129–5133., , et al.
- 29Integration of Runx and Smad regulatory signals at transcriptionally active subnuclear sites. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2002; 99: 8048–8053., , et al.
- 30Regulation of bone morphogenetic protein-2 expression by endogenous prostaglandin E2 in human mesenchymal stem cells. J Cell Physiol 2004; 200: 400–406., , .
- 31Smad function and intranuclear targeting share a Runx2 motif required for osteogenic lineage induction and BMP2 responsive transcription. J Cell Physiol 2005; 204: 63–72., , et al.
- 32Bone morphogenetic protein 2 induces cyclo-oxygenase 2 in osteoblasts via a Cbfal binding site: Role in effects of bone morphogenetic protein 2 in vitro and in vivo. J Bone Miner Res 2002; 17: 1430–1440., , et al.
- 33Role of Cbfa1/Runx2 in the fluid shear stress induction of COX-2 in osteoblasts. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2006; 341: 1225–1230., , et al.
- 34Regulation of bone formation by adiponectin through autocrine/paracrine and endocrine pathways. J Cell Biochem 2006; 99: 196–208., , et al.
- 35Endocrine regulation of energy metabolism by the skeleton. Cell 2007; 130: 456–469., , et al.
- 36Osteocalcin differentially regulates beta cell and adipocyte gene expression and affects the development of metabolic diseases in wild-type mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2008; 105: 5266–5270., , et al.
- 37Adiponectin increases bone mass by suppressing osteoclast and activating osteoblast. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2005; 331: 520–526., , et al.
- 38Adiponectin as a novel determinant of bone mineral density and visceral fat. Bone 2003; 33: 646–651., , et al.
- 39Regulation of BMP-7 expression by retinoic acid and prostaglandin E(2). J Cell Physiol 2002; 190: 207–217., , et al.
- 40Adiponectin protects against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury through AMPK- and COX-2-dependent mechanisms. Nat Med 2005; 11: 1096–1103., , et al.
- 41Cyclooxygenase-2 induction by adiponectin is regulated by a sphingosine kinase-1 dependent mechanism in cardiac myocytes. FEBS Lett 2008; 582: 1147–1150., , et al.
- 42Runx2: A master organizer of gene transcription in developing and maturing osteoblasts. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 2005; 75: 213–225., , .