Telephone: 206-685-6873; Fax: 206-221-0531
Translational and Clinical Research
Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 9, pages 2353–2361, September 2009
How to Cite
Miller, C. P., Lowe, K. A., Valliant-Saunders, K., Kaiser, J. F., Mattern, D., Urban, N., Henke, M. and Blau, C. A. (2009), Evaluating Erythropoietin-Associated Tumor Progression Using Archival Tissues from a Phase III Clinical Trial. STEM CELLS, 27: 2353–2361. doi: 10.1002/stem.156
Author contributions: C.P.M.: conception and design, collection and assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript; K.A.L. and N.U.: data analysis and interpretation, final approval of manuscript; K.V.-S. and J.F.K.: collection and assembly of data; D.M.: provision of study materials; M.H.: conception and design, provision of study materials, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript; C.A.B.: conception and design, financial support, assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS June 18, 2009; available online without subscription through the open access option.
- Issue online: 8 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 18 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 8 JAN 2009
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: 1R01CA135357
- Department of Defense [CDMRP, DAMD17-02-0691
- 1Anemia as an independent prognostic factor for survival in patients with cancer: A systemic, quantitative review. Cancer 2001; 91: 2214–2221., , et al.
- 2Venous thromboembolism and mortality associated with recombinant erythropoietin and darbepoetin administration for the treatment of cancer-associated anemia. JAMA 2008; 299: 914–924., , et al.
- 3Erythropoietin to treat head and neck cancer patients with anaemia undergoing radiotherapy: Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2003; 362: 1255–1260., , et al.
- 4Maintaining normal hemoglobin levels with epoetin alfa in mainly nonanemic patients with metastatic breast cancer receiving first-line chemotherapy: a survival study. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 5960–5972., , et al.
- 5Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of erythropoietin in non-small-cell lung cancer with disease-related anemia. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 1027–1032., , et al.
- 6Darbepoetin alfa for the treatment of anemia in patients with active cancer not receiving chemotherapy or radiotherapy: Results of a phase III, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 1040–1050., , et al.
- 7Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee meeting briefing materials at http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/08/briefing/2008–4345b2–01-FDA.pdf. Accessed March 13, 2008.
- 8Erythropoietin in cancer: Presumption of innocence? Stem Cells 2007; 25: 2094–2097..
- 9Erythropoiesis-stimulating agent use in cancer: Preclinical and clinical perspectives. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 4685–4690..
- 10Erythropoietin and erythropoietin receptor expression in human cancer. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 3561–3565., , et al.
- 11Expression and function of erythropoietin receptors in tumors: Implications for the use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents in cancer patients. Cancer 2007; 110: 477–488., , et al.
- 12A “classical” homodimeric erythropoietin receptor is essential for the antiapoptotic effects of erythropoietin on differentiated neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y and pheochromocytoma PC-12 cells. Cell Signal 2007; 19: 634–645., , .
- 13Do erythropoietin receptors on cancer cells explain unexpected clinical findings? J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 4708–4713., , et al.
- 14Anti-Epo receptor antibodies do not predict Epo receptor expression. Blood 2006; 107: 1892–1895., , et al.
- 15Erythropoietin mediates tissue protection through an erythropoietin and common beta-subunit heteroreceptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2004; 101: 14907–14912., , et al.
- 16Jak2: normal function and role in hematopoietic disorders. Curr Opin Genet Dev 2007; 17: 8–14., .
- 17The N-terminal domain of Janus kinase 2 is required for Golgi processing and cell surface expression of erythropoietin receptor. Mol Cell 2001; 8: 1327–1338., , .
- 18Erythropoietin-mediated neuroprotection involves cross-talk between Jak2 and NF-kappaB signalling cascades. Nature 2001; 412: 641–647., .
- 19New tricks for an old dog: The evolving world of Hsp70. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2007; 1113: 1–14..
- 20Heat shock proteins in cancer. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2007; 1113: 192–201., .
- 21HSP70 regulates erythropoiesis by preventing caspase-3-mediated cleavage of GATA-1. Nature 2007; 445: 102–105., , et al.
- 22Molecular assay to detect metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004; 130: 21–27., , et al.
- 23Identification of a subpopulation of cells with cancer stem cell properties in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007; 104: 973–978., , et al.
- 24Effects of recombinant erythropoietin on breast cancer-initiating cells. Neoplasia 2007; 9: 1122–1129., , et al.
- 25Il-3-dependent mouse clones that express B-220 surface antigen, contain Ig genes in germ-line configuration, and generate B lymphocytes in vivo. Cell 1985; 41: 727–734., .
- 26Chemokine expression in human erythroid leukemia cell line AS-E2: Macrophage inflammatory protein-3alpha/CCL20 is induced by inflammatory cytokines. Exp Hematol 2006; 34: 19–26., , et al.
- 27Accurate normalization of real-time quantitative RT-PCR data by geometric averaging of multiple internal control genes. Genome Biol 2002; 3: RESEARCH0034., , et al.
- 28Pre-operative plasma erythropoietin concentration and survival following surgery for non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer 2006; 51: 329–334., , et al.
- 29Constitutively active erythropoietin receptor expression in breast cancer cells promotes cellular proliferation and migration through a MAP-kinase dependent pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2009; 379: 696–701., , .
- 30Reliable gene expression measurements from degraded RNA by quantitative real-time PCR depend on short amplicons and a proper normalization. Lab Invest 2005; 85: 1040–1050., , et al.
- 31Geometry of human vascular system: is it an obstacle for quantifying antiangiogenic therapies? Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2007; 15: 134–139., , et al.
- 32Measurement of gene expression in archival paraffin-embedded tissues: development and performance of a 92-gene reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction assay. Am J Pathol 2004; 164: 35–42., , et al.
- 33Erythropoietin receptor transcription is neither elevated nor predictive of surface expression in human tumour cells. Br J Cancer 2008; 98: 1059–1067., , et al.
- 34Allelic variation in the erythropoietin receptor gene is associated with uterine capacity and litter size in swine. Anim Genet 2005; 36: 97–103., , et al.
- 35Statistics in medicine–reporting of subgroup analyses in clinical trials. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 2189–2194., , et al.