Telephone: 81-798-45-6822; Fax: 81-798-45-6823
The Stem Cell Niche
Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 9, pages 2185–2195, September 2009
How to Cite
Nakagomi, N., Nakagomi, T., Kubo, S., Nakano-Doi, A., Saino, O., Takata, M., Yoshikawa, H., Stern, D. M., Matsuyama, T. and Taguchi, A. (2009), Endothelial Cells Support Survival, Proliferation, and Neuronal Differentiation of Transplanted Adult Ischemia-Induced Neural Stem/Progenitor Cells After Cerebral Infarction. STEM CELLS, 27: 2185–2195. doi: 10.1002/stem.161
Author contributions: N.N.: conception and design, collection and assembly of data, final approval of manuscript; T.N.: conception and design, collection and assembly of data, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript; S.K.: provision of study material; A.N.-D. and O.S.: collection and assembly of data; M.T. and H.Y.: data analysis and interpretation; D.M.S., manuscript writing; T.M.: data analysis and interpretation, final approval of manuscript; A.T.: manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript. N.N. and T.N. contributed equally to this article.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS June 25, 2009.
- Issue online: 8 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 25 JUN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 20 APR 2009
- Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. Grant Number: 21700363
- Hyogo Science and Technology Association
- 1[Embryonic stem cell therapy in experimental stroke: host-dependent malignant transformation]. Orv Hetil 2004; 145: 1307–1313., , et al.
- 2Neuronal differentiation of transplanted embryonic stem cell-derived precursors in stroke lesions of adult rats. Brain 2006; 129: 3238–3248., , et al.
- 3Primate embryonic stem cell-derived neuronal progenitors transplanted into ischemic brain. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2006; 26: 906–914., , et al.
- 4In vivo imaging of engrafted NSCs: Its application in evaluating the optimal timing of transplantation for spinal cord injury. FASEB J 2005; 19: 1839–1841., , et al.
- 5Transplantation of in vitro-expanded fetal neural progenitor cells results in neurogenesis and functional recovery after spinal cord contusion injury in adult rats. J Neurosci Res 2002; 69: 925–933., , et al.
- 6Survival, migration and neuronal differentiation of human fetal striatal and cortical NSCs grafted in stroke-damaged rat striatum. Eur J Neurosci 2007; 26: 605–614., , .
- 7Subventricular zone astrocytes are NSCs in the adult mammalian brain. Cell 1999; 97: 703–716., , et al.
- 8Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the adult rat: age-related decrease of neuronal progenitor proliferation. J Neurosci 1996; 16: 2027–2033., , .
- 9Embryonic NSCs transplanted in middle cerebral artery occlusion model of rats demonstrated potent therapeutic effects, compared to adult NSCs. Brain Res 2008; 1234: 172–182., , et al.
- 10Adult neural stem and progenitor cells modified to secrete GDNF can protect, migrate and integrate after intracerebral transplantation in rats with transient forebrain ischemia. Eur J Neurosci 2007; 26: 1462–1478., , et al.
- 11Enriched environment enhances transplanted subventricular zone stem cell migration and functional recovery after stroke. Neuroscience 2007; 146: 31–40., , et al.
- 12Grafting NSCs improved the impaired spatial recognition in ischemic rats. Neurosci Lett 2001; 316: 9–12., , et al.
- 13Adult SVZ stem cells lie in a vascular niche: A quantitative analysis of niche cell-cell interactions. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 289–300., , et al.
- 14LeX/ssea-1 is expressed by adult mouse CNS stem cells, identifying them as nonependymal. Neuron 2002; 35: 865–875., .
- 15Vascular niche for adult hippocampal neurogenesis. J Comp Neurol 2000; 425: 479–494., , .
- 16A specialized vascular niche for adult NSCs. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 279–288., , et al.
- 17Coordinated interaction of neurogenesis and angiogenesis in the adult songbird brain. Neuron 2002; 34: 945–960., , et al.
- 18Endothelial cells stimulate self-renewal and expand neurogenesis of NSCs. Science 2004; 304: 1338–1340., , et al.
- 19Coupling of angiogenesis and neurogenesis in cultured endothelial cells and neural progenitor cells after stroke. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2008; 28: 764–771., , et al.
- 20Induction of neurogenesis in nonconventional neurogenic regions of the adult central nervous system by niche astrocyte-produced signals. Stem Cells 2008; 26: 1221–1230., .
- 21Isolation of multipotent neural precursors residing in the cortex of the adult human brain. Exp Neurol 2001; 170: 48–62., , et al.
- 22Isolation and characterization of neural stem/progenitor cells from post-stroke cerebral cortex in mice. Eur J Neurosci 2009; 29: 1842–1852., , et al.
- 23Identification and isolation of multipotential neural progenitor cells from the subcortical white matter of the adult human brain. Nat Med 2003; 9: 439–447., , et al.
- 24Multipotent CNS stem cells are present in the adult mammalian spinal cord and ventricular neuroaxis. J Neurosci 1996; 16: 7599–7609., , et al.
- 25Transplanted adult spinal cord-derived neural stem/progenitor cells promote early functional recovery after rat spinal cord injury. Neuroscience 2008; 155: 760–770., , et al.
- 26Administration of CD34+ cells after stroke enhances neurogenesis via angiogenesis in a mouse model. J Clin Invest 2004; 114: 330–338., , et al.
- 27Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor has a negative effect on stroke outcome in a murine model. Eur J Neurosci 2007; 26: 126–133., , et al.
- 28Generation of neurons and astrocytes from isolated cells of the adult mammalian central nervous system. Science 1992; 255: 1707–1710., .
- 29L1 retrotransposition in nondividing and primary human somatic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 8036–8041., , et al.
- 30A monomeric red fluorescent protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2002; 99: 7877–7882., , et al.
- 31Hippocampus and internal inhibition. Psychol Bull 1968; 70: 285–295..
- 32Astroglia induce neurogenesis from adult NSCs. Nature 2002; 417: 39–44., , .
- 33Neurovascular congruence during cerebral cortical development. Cereb Cortex 2009; 19: i32–i41., , et al.
- 34A stem cell niche for intermediate progenitor cells of the embryonic cortex. Cereb Cortex 2009; 19: i70–i77., .
- 35Endothelium-induced proliferation and electrophysiological differentiation of human embryonic stem cell-derived neuronal precursors. Stem Cells Dev 2008; 17: 565–572., , et al.
- 36Fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) induces vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in the endothelial cells of forming capillaries: An autocrine mechanism contributing to angiogenesis. J Cell Biol 1998; 141: 1659–1673., , et al.
- 37Expression and subcellular distribution of basic fibroblast growth factor are regulated during migration of endothelial cells. Circ Res 1994; 74: 485–494., , et al.
- 38Cultured human endothelial cells express platelet-derived growth factor B chain: cDNA cloning and structural analysis. Nature 1985; 316: 748–750., , et al.
- 39Endothelial trophic support of neuronal production and recruitment from the adult mammalian subependyma. Mol Cell Neurosci 1999; 13: 450–464., , et al.
- 40VEGF-C is a trophic factor for neural progenitors in the vertebrate embryonic brain. Nat Neurosci 2006; 9: 340–348., , et al.
- 41Developmental expression of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) receptors in NSC progeny. Modulation of neuronal and glial lineages by basic Fgf treatment. Neurol Res 2001; 23: 612–621., , et al.
- 42Insulin-like growth factor-1 is an endogenous mediator of focal ischemia-induced neural progenitor proliferation. Eur J Neurosci 2006; 24: 45–54., , et al.
- 43Immature neurons from CNS stem cells proliferate in response to platelet-derived growth factor. J Neurosci 2001; 21: 3483–3491., , .
- 44Modeling the neurovascular niche: VEGF- and BDNF-mediated cross-talk between NSCs and endothelial cells: an in vitro study. J Neurosci Res 2006; 84: 1656–1668., , et al.
- 45Differentiation, survival, and function of embryonic stem cell derived endothelial cells for ischemic heart disease. Circulation 2007; 116: I46–54., , et al.
- 46Long-term cultured human umbilical cord neural-like cells transplanted into the striatum of NOD SCID mice. Brain Res Bull 2007; 74: 155–163., , et al.
- 47Neural stem/progenitor cells promote endothelial cell morphogenesis and protect endothelial cells against ischemia via HIF-1alpha-regulated VEGF signaling. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2008; 28: 1530–1542., , .
- 48Evidence for stroke-induced neurogenesis in the human brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 13198–13202., , et al.
- 49Blockade of interleukin-6 receptor suppresses reactive astrogliosis and ameliorates functional recovery in experimental spinal cord injury. J Neurosci Res 2004; 76: 265–276., , et al.
- 50Synergistic signaling in fetal brain by STAT3-Smad1 complex bridged by p300. Science 1999; 284: 479–482., , et al.
- 51Adult spinal cord stem cells generate neurons after transplantation in the adult dentate gyrus. J Neurosci 2000; 20: 8727–8735., , et al.
- 52Ephrins as negative regulators of adult neurogenesis in diverse regions of the central nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2008; 105: 8778–8783., , .