Tissue-Specific Stem Cells
Article first published online: 10 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 10, pages 2516–2526, October 2009
How to Cite
Wang, H., Tao, T., Tang, J., Mao, Y.-H., Li, W., Peng, J., Tan, G., Zhou, Y.-P., Zhong, J.-X., Tseng, S. C.G., Kawakita, T., Zhao, Y.-X. and Liu, Z.-G. (2009), Importin 13 Serves as a Potential Marker for Corneal Epithelial Progenitor Cells. STEM CELLS, 27: 2516–2526. doi: 10.1002/stem.174
Author contributions: H.W., Y.X.Z., Z.G.L.: conception and design; H.W., J.X.Z., Z.G.L.: financial support; H.W., T.T., G.T., J.P., T.E.K., Z.G.L.: provision of study material or patients; H.W., J.T., Y.H.M.: collection and/or assembly of data; H.W., J.T., Y.H.M., W.L.: data analysis and interpretation; H.W.: manuscript writing; J.X.Z., Y.X.Z., Z.G.L.: administrative support; H.W., T.T., W.L., Y.P.Z., S.C.G.T., T.E.K., Z.G.L.: final approval of manuscript.
Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS July 27, 2009.
- Issue published online: 13 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 10 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 10 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 9 FEB 2009
- National Natural Science Fund of China. Grant Number: 30700926
- National High Technology Research and Development Program of China. Grant Number: 2006AA02A131
- Postdoctorate Fellowship of China. Grant Number: 20070410807
- Natural Science Fund of Fujian Province. Grant Number: 2008J0113
- Medical Innovation Project of Fujian Province. Grant Number: 2007-CX-19
- Technology Project of Xiamen. Grant Number: 3502Z20074032
- 1A specialized vascular niche for adult neural stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 279–288., , et al.
- 2Adult stem cell-like tubular cells reside in the corticomedullary junction of the kidney. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2008; 1: 232–241., , et al.
- 3Adult stem cell transplantation in stroke: its limitations and prospects. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 2008; 3: 185–196., , .
- 4The majority of multipotent epidermal stem cells do not protect their genome by asymmetrical chromosome segregation. Stem Cells 2008; 26: 2964–2973., , .
- 5Regulatory networks define phenotypic classes of human stem cell lines. Nature 2008; 455: 401–405., , et al.
- 6Mesenchymal stem cells as vectors for lung disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2008; 5: 711–716., , .
- 7Differentiation-related expression of a major 64K corneal keratin in vivo and in culture suggests limbal location of corneal epithelial stem cells. J Cell Biol 1986; 103: 49–62., , .
- 8Concept and application of limbal stem cells. Eye 1989; 3: 141–157..
- 9The multipotential cells of the limbus. Eye 1989; 3: 109–113., , .
- 10Oligopotent stem cells are distributed throughout the mammalian ocular surface. Nature 2008; 456: 250–255., , et al.
- 11The evolving concept of a stem cell: entity or function? Cell 2001; 105: 829–841., , .
- 12Epidermal stem cells: properties, markers, and location. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2000; 97: 13473–13475., .
- 13Identification and characterization of limbal stem cells. Exp Eye Res 2005; 81: 247–264., .
- 14Limbal stem cells: the search for a marker. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 2006; 34: 64–73., , .
- 15ABCG2 transporter identifies a population of clonogenic human limbal epithelial cells. Stem Cells 2005; 23: 63–73., , et al.
- 16Gap Junction protein connexin 43 serves as a negative marker for a stem cell-containing population of human limbal epithelial cells. Stem Cells 2006; 24: 1265–1273., , et al.
- 17P63 identifies keratinocyte stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001; 98: 3156–3161., , et al.
- 18Corneal epithelial stem cells: Past, present, and future. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc 2004; 9: 202–207., .
- 19Nerve growth factor and its receptor TrkA serve as potential markers for human corneal epithelial progenitor cells. Exp Eye Res 2008; 86: 34–40., , et al.
- 20Patterned expression of neurotrophic factors and receptors in human limbal and corneal regions. Mol Vis 2007; 13: 1934–1941., , et al.
- 21Multipotent stem cells in human corneal stroma. Stem Cells 2005; 23: 1266–1275., , et al.
- 22Characterization of putative stem cell phenotype in human limbal epithelia. Stem Cells 2004; 22: 355–366., , et al.
- 23Nucleocytoplasmic protein traffic and its significance to cell function. Genes Cells 2000; 5: 777–787..
- 24Importin 13: a novel mediator of nuclear import and export. EMBO J 2001; 20: 3685–3694., , et al.
- 25Phenotypic characterization of human corneal epithelial cells expanded ex vivo from limbal explant and single cell culture. Exp Eye Res 2004; 79: 41–49., , et al.
- 26Comparison between serum-free and fibroblast-cocultured single-cell clonal culture systems: evidence showing that epithelial antiapoptotic activity is present in 3T3 fibroblast-conditioned media. Curr Eye Res 1996; 15: 973–984., , et al.
- 27Partial enrichment of a population of human limbal epithelial cells with putative stem cell properties based on collagen type IV adhesiveness. Exp Eye Res 2005; 80: 581–590., , et al.
- 28Stratified epithelial sheets engineered from a single adult murine corneal/limbal progenitor cell. J Cell Mol Med 2008; 12: 1303–1316., , et al.
- 29Paired-type homeodomain transcription factors are imported into the nucleus by karyopherin 13. Mol Cell Biol 2004; 24: 4824–4834., , .
- 30Importin 13 regulates nuclear import of the glucocorticoid receptor in airway epithelial cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2006; 35: 668–680., , et al.
- 31Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of Igl2 is developmentally regulated in fetal lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2004; 30: 350–359., , et al.
- 32Stage-specific importin 13 activity influences meiosis of germ cells in the mouse. Dev Biol 2006; 297: 350–360., , et al.
- 33Sugar-dependent nuclear import of glycosylated proteins in living cells. Glycobiology 2003; 13: 509–519., , et al.
- 34Interaction between importin 13 and myopodin suggests a nuclear import pathway for myopodin. Mol Cell Biochem 2008; 307: 93–100., , et al.
- 35Zinc finger domain of snail functions as a nuclear localization signal for importin-mediated nuclear import pathway. Genes Cells 2005; 10: 455–464., , et al.
- 36Molecular pathology of expanded polyalanine tract mutations in the Aristaless-related homeobox gene. Genomics 2007; 90: 59–71., , et al.
- 37Evolutionary and transcriptional analysis of karyopherin beta superfamily proteins. Mol Cell Proteomics 2008; 7: 1254–126., , et al.
- 38The death effector domain protein PEA-15 prevents nuclear entry of ERK2 by inhibiting required interactions. J Bio Chem 2004; 279: 12840–12847., , et al.
- 39Premature chromatin condensation induced by loss of RCC1 is inhibited by GTP- and GTPγS-ran, but not GDP-ran. J Bio Chem 1996; 271: 14665–14667., , et al.