Telephone: 613-9271-1133; Fax: 613-9271-1198;
Stem Cell Epigenetics, Genomics, and Proteomics
Article first published online: 30 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 10, pages 2446–2456, October 2009
How to Cite
Kolle, G., Ho, M., Zhou, Q., Chy, H. S., Krishnan, K., Cloonan, N., Bertoncello, I., Laslett, A. L. and Grimmond, S. M. (2009), Identification of Human Embryonic Stem Cell Surface Markers by Combined Membrane-Polysome Translation State Array Analysis and Immunotranscriptional Profiling. STEM CELLS, 27: 2446–2456. doi: 10.1002/stem.182
Author contributions: G.K.: conception and design, collection and assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing; S.H.M.H. and I.B.: collection and assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation; Q.Z., H.S.C., S.H.M.H., K.K., and N.C.: collection and/or assembly of data; A.L.L. and S.M.G.: conception and design, financial support, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript.
Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS July 30, 2009.
- Issue published online: 13 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 30 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 28 JAN 2009
- 1Three monoclonal antibodies defining distinct differentiation antigens associated with different high molecular weight polypeptides on the surface of human embryonal carcinoma cells. Hybridoma 1984; 3: 347–361., , et al.
- 2Biochemical properties of a keratan sulphate/chondroitin sulphate proteoglycan expressed in primate pluripotent stem cells. J Anat 2002; 200: 259–265., , et al.
- 3The hESC line Envy expresses high levels of GFP in all differentiated progeny. Nat Methods 2005; 2: 259–260., , et al.
- 4Stage-specific embryonic antigens (SSEA-3 and -4) are epitopes of a unique globo-series ganglioside isolated from human teratocarcinoma cells. EMBO J 1983; 2: 2355–2361., , et al.
- 5New globoseries glycosphingolipids in human teratocarcinoma reactive with the monoclonal antibody directed to a developmentally regulated antigen, stage-specific embryonic antigen 3. J Biol Chem 1983; 258: 8934–8942., , et al.
- 6Identification of a major sialoprotein in the glycocalyx of human visceral glomerular epithelial cells. J Clin Invest 1986; 78: 1142–1149., , et al.
- 7Characterization and culture of human embryonic stem cells. Trends Cardiovasc Med 2003; 13: 295–301., , .
- 8Isolation, characterization, and differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. Methods Enzymol 2003; 365: 429–446., , et al.
- 9Heat shock 70-kDa protein 8 isoform 1 is expressed on the surface of human embryonic stem cells and downregulated upon differentiation. Stem Cells 2005; 23: 1502–1513., , et al.
- 10Immunohistochemical and biochemical characterisation of the expression of a human embryonal carcinoma cell proteoglycan antigen in human germ cell tumours and other tissues. Eur J Cancer 1992; 28A: 1090–1098., .
- 11Transcriptional analysis of early lineage commitment in human embryonic stem cells. BMC Dev Biol 2007; 7: 12., , et al.
- 12Clonal isolation of hESCs reveals heterogeneity within the pluripotent stem cell compartment. Nat Methods 2006; 3: 807–815., , et al.
- 13Development of antibodies to human embryonic stem cell antigens. BMC Dev Biol 2005; 5: 26., , et al.
- 14Development of a decoy immunization strategy to identify cell-surface molecules expressed on undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells. Cell Tissue Res 2008; 333: 197–206., , et al.
- 15Selection against undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells by a cytotoxic antibody recognizing podocalyxin-like protein-1. Stem Cells 2008; 26: 1454–1463., , et al.
- 16Generation of a monoclonal antibody library against human embryonic stem cells. Methods Mol Biol 2007; 407: 63–81., , .
- 17Gene expression in human embryonic stem cell lines: unique molecular signature. Blood 2004; 103: 2956–2964., , et al.
- 18MPSS profiling of human embryonic stem cells. BMC Dev Biol 2004; 4: 10., , et al.
- 19The transcriptome profile of human embryonic stem cells as defined by SAGE. Stem Cells 2004; 22: 51–64., , et al.
- 20Molecular signature of human embryonic stem cells and its comparison with the mouse. Dev Biol 2003; 260: 404–413., , et al.
- 21Gene expression patterns in human embryonic stem cells and human pluripotent germ cell tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003; 100: 13350–13355., , et al.
- 22A meta-analysis of human embryonic stem cells transcriptome integrated into a web-based expression atlas. Stem Cells 2007; 25: 961–973., , et al.
- 23Proteomic signature of human embryonic stem cells. Proteomics 2006; 6: 3544–3549., , et al.
- 24Plasma membrane proteomics of human embryonic stem cells and human embryonal carcinoma cells. J Proteome Res 2008; 7: 2936–2951., , et al.
- 25A large-scale proteomic analysis of human embryonic stem cells. BMC Genomics 2007; 8: 478., , et al.
- 26A quest for human and mouse embryonic stem cell-specific proteins. Mol Cell Proteomics 2006; 5: 1261–1273., , et al.
- 27Coupled global and targeted proteomics of human embryonic stem cells during induced differentiation. Mol Cell Proteomics 2008; 7: 750–767., , et al.
- 28Cell surface biomarkers of embryonic stem cells. Proteomics 2008; 8: 4025–4035., , .
- 29Genome-scale identification of membrane-associated human mRNAs. Plos Genet 2006; 2: e11., , et al.
- 30Large-scale identification of secreted and membrane-associated gene products using DNA microarrays. Nat Genet 2000; 25: 58–62., , et al.
- 31Membrane-associated and secreted genes in breast cancer. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 8682–8687., , et al.
- 32Membrane-associated transcripts in Arabidopsis; their isolation and characterization by DNA microarray analysis and bioinformatics. Plant J 2006; 46: 708–721., , et al.
- 33Characterization of human embryonic stem cell lines by the International Stem Cell Initiative. Nat Biotechnol 2007; 25: 803–816., , et al.
- 34Clonally derived human embryonic stem cell lines maintain pluripotency and proliferative potential for prolonged periods of culture. Dev Biol 2000; 227: 271–278., , et al.
- 35Feeder-independent culture of human embryonic stem cells. Nat Methods 2006; 3: 637–646., , et al.
- 36Feeder-free growth of undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells. Nat Biotechnol 2001; 19: 971–974., , et al.
- 37Linear models and empirical bayes methods for assessing differential expression in microarray experiments. Stat Appl Genet Mol Biol 2004; 3:Article3..
- 38The HMMTOP transmembrane topology prediction server. Bioinformatics 2001; 17: 849–850., .
- 39A combined transmembrane topology and signal peptide prediction method. J Mol Biol 2004; 338: 1027–1036., , .
- 40Evaluation of methods for the prediction of membrane spanning regions. Bioinformatics 2001; 17: 646–653., , .
- 41Predicting subcellular localization of proteins based on their N-terminal amino acid sequence. J Mol Biol 2000; 300: 1005–1016., , et al.
- 42Improved prediction of signal peptides: SignalP 3.0. J Mol Biol 2004; 340: 783–795., , et al.
- 43Regulatory networks define phenotypic classes of human stem cell lines. Nature 2008; 455: 401–405., , et al.
- 44Cellular differentiation hierarchies in normal and culture-adapted human embryonic stem cells. Hum Mol Genet 2005; 14: 3129–3140., , et al.
- 45Translational control: a new dimension in embryonic stem cell network analysis. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 2: 410–412., .
- 46A hierarchical network controls protein translation during murine embryonic stem cell self-renewal and differentiation. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 2: 448–460., , et al.
- 47Epithelial cell adhesion molecule: more than a carcinoma marker and adhesion molecule. Am J Pathol 2007; 171: 386–395., , et al.
- 48EPCAM is involved in maintenance of the murine ES cell phenotype. Stem Cells 2009 [Epub ahead of print]., , et al.