Telephone: +44-(0)2380-794271; Fax: +44-(0)2380-794542
Tissue-Specific Stem Cells
Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 10, pages 2539–2551, October 2009
How to Cite
Zaben, M., John Sheward, W., Shtaya, A., Abbosh, C., Harmar, A. J., Pringle, A. K. and Gray, W. P. (2009), The Neurotransmitter VIP Expands the Pool of Symmetrically Dividing Postnatal Dentate Gyrus Precursors via VPAC2 Receptors or Directs Them Toward a Neuronal Fate via VPAC1 receptors. STEM CELLS, 27: 2539–2551. doi: 10.1002/stem.184
Author contributions: M.Z.: Collection and assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing; W.J.S.: Collection and assembly of data, provision of study material; A.S.: Collection and assembly of data; C.A.: Collection and assembly of data; A.J.H.: provision of study material, manuscript writing; A.K.P.: data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing; W.P.G.: Concept and design, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript.
Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS July 30, 2009.
- Issue online: 13 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 28 JAN 2009
- Medical Research Council strategic grant. Grant Number: G0300356
- Medical Research Council Programme Grant. Grant Number: G9719726
- 1Inhibition of neurogenesis interferes with hippocampus-dependent memory function. Hippocampus 2006; 16: 296–304., , et al.
- 2Paradoxical influence of hippocampal neurogenesis on working memory. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2007; 104: 4642–4646., , et al.
- 3A role for adult TLX-positive neural stem cells in learning and behaviour. Nature 2008; 451: 1004–1007., , et al.
- 4Spatial relational memory requires hippocampal adult neurogenesis. PLoS One 2008; 3: e1959., , et al.
- 5Roles of continuous neurogenesis in the structural and functional integrity of the adult forebrain. Nat Neurosci 2008; 11: 1153–1161., , et al.
- 6Neurogenesis in the adult is involved in the formation of trace memories. Nature 2001; 410: 372–376., , et al.
- 7Requirement of hippocampal neurogenesis for the behavioral effects of antidepressants. Science 2003; 301: 805–809., , et al.
- 8Relevance of seizure-induced neurogenesis in animal models of epilepsy to the etiology of temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsia 2007; 48( suppl 2): 33–41., .
- 9Mammalian neural stem cells. Science 2000; 287: 1433– 1438..
- 10GABA sets the tempo for activity-dependent adult neurogenesis. Trends Neurosci 2007; 30: 1–8., , et al.
- 11GABAergic excitation promotes neuronal differentiation in adult hippocampal progenitor cells. Neuron 2005; 47: 803–815., , et al.
- 12GABA regulates synaptic integration of newly generated neurons in the adult brain. Nature 2006; 439: 589–593., , et al.
- 13Neuropeptide Y is important for basal and seizure-induced precursor cell proliferation in the hippocampus. Neurobiol Dis 2007; 26: 174–188., , et al.
- 14Neuropeptide Y stimulates neuronal precursor proliferation in the post-natal and adult dentate gyrus. J Neurochem 2005; 93: 560–570., , et al.
- 15Short-term and long-term survival of new neurons in the rat dentate gyrus. J Comp Neurol 2003; 460: 563–572., , et al.
- 16In vivo fate analysis reveals the multipotent and self-renewal capacities of Sox2(+) neural stem cells in the adult hippocampus. Cell Stem Cell 2007; 1: 515–528., , et al.
- 17Differential 24 h responsiveness of Prox1-expressing precursor cells in adult hippocampal neurogenesis to physical activity, environmental enrichment, and kainic acid-induced seizures. Neuroscience 2008; 154: 521–529., , et al.
- 18Growth factor function of vasoactive intestinal peptide in whole cultured mouse embryos. Nature 1993; 362: 155–158., , et al.
- 19Vasoactive intestinal peptide shortens both G1 and S phases of neural cell cycle in whole postimplantation cultured mouse embryos. Eur J Neurosci 1998; 10: 1734–1742., , et al.
- 20A glia-derived signal regulating neuronal differentiation. J Neurosci 2000; 20: 8012–8020., , et al.
- 21A VIP hybrid antagonist: from developmental neurobiology to clinical applications. Cell Mol Neurobiol 1995; 15: 675–687., , .
- 22Neuropeptide Y is neuroproliferative for post-natal hippocampal precursor cells. J Neurochem 2003; 86: 646–659., , et al.
- 23Dynamics of cell proliferation in the adult dentate gyrus of two inbred strains of mice. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 2002; 134: 77–85., .
- 24Cell-cycle kinetics of neocortical precursors are influenced by embryonic thalamic axons. J Neurosci 2001; 21: 201–214., , et al.
- 25Requirement for neurogenesis to proceed through the division of neuronal progenitors following differentiation of epidermal growth factor and fibroblast growth factor-2-responsive human neural stem cells. Stem Cells 2004; 22: 798–811., .
- 26The VPAC(2) receptor is essential for circadian function in the mouse suprachiasmatic nuclei. Cell 2002; 109: 497–508., , et al.
- 27Expression of vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) receptors in human uterus. Peptides 2000; 21: 1383–1388., , et al.
- 28Pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide and its receptors: from structure to functions. Pharmacol Rev 2000; 52: 269–324., , et al.
- 29Inhibition of antigen-stimulated effector T cells by human cerebrospinal fluid. Neuroimmunomodulation 1996; 3: 112–118., .
- 30Subpopulations of proliferating cells of the adult hippocampus respond differently to physiologic neurogenic stimuli. J Comp Neurol 2003; 467: 455–463., , et al.
- 31Fluoxetine targets early progenitor cells in the adult brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2006; 103: 8233–8238., , .
- 32Cellular composition and three-dimensional organization of the subventricular germinal zone in the adult mammalian brain. J Neurosci 1997; 17: 5046–5061., , .
- 33Asymmetric Numb distribution is critical for asymmetric cell division of mouse cerebral cortical stem cells and neuroblasts. Development 2002; 129: 4843–4853., , et al.
- 34In vitro properties of a high affinity selective antagonist of the VIP1 receptor. Peptides 1997; 18: 1555–1560., , et al.
- 35Unique expression patterns of cell fate molecules delineate sequential stages of dentate gyrus development. J Neurosci 2000; 20: 6095–6105., , .
- 36Excitation-neurogenesis coupling in adult neural stem/progenitor cells. Neuron 2004; 42: 535–552., , et al.
- 37Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the adult tree shrew is regulated by psychosocial stress and NMDA receptor activation. J Neurosci 1997; 17: 2492–2498., , et al.
- 38Latent stem and progenitor cells in the hippocampus are activated by neural excitation. J Neurosci 2008; 28: 5240–5247., , et al.
- 39Development of high affinity selective VIP1 receptor agonists. Peptides 1997; 18: 1539–1545., , et al.
- 40Trophic mechanisms regulate mitotic neuronal precursors: role of vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP). Brain Res 1994; 663: 51–60., , .
- 41Vasoactive intestinal peptide regulates mitosis, differentiation and survival of cultured sympathetic neuroblasts. Nature 1990; 343: 564–567., , .
- 42Autocrine expression and ontogenetic functions of the PACAP ligand/receptor system during sympathetic development. Dev Biol 2000; 219: 197–213., , et al.
- 43Perspectives on pituitary adenylate cyclase activating polypeptide (PACAP) in the neuroendocrine, endocrine, and nervous systems. Jpn J Physiol 1998; 48: 301–331..
- 44Pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide (PACAP) and vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) regulate murine neural progenitor cell survival, proliferation, and differentiation. J Mol Neurosci 2008; 36: 79–88., , et al.
- 45Unconventional binding sites and receptors for VIP and related peptides PACAP and PHI/PHM: an update. Peptides 2007; 28: 1655–1666., , et al.
- 46Identification of a transient subpial neurogenic zone in the developing dentate gyrus and its regulation by Cxcl12 and reelin signaling. Development 2009; 136: 327–335., , et al.
- 47Morphological development and maturation of granule neuron dendrites in the rat dentate gyrus. Prog Brain Res 2007; 163: 167–181., .
- 48Adult rodent neurogenic regions: the ventricular subependyma contains neural stem cells, but the dentate gyrus contains restricted progenitors. J Neurosci 2002; 22: 1784–1793., .
- 49Intrinsic differences distinguish transiently neurogenic progenitors from neural stem cells in the early postnatal brain. Dev Biol 2005; 278: 71–85., , .
- 50An autoradiographic study of the time of origin and the pattern of granule cell migration in the dentate gyrus of the rat. J Comp Neurol 1975; 159: 149–175., , .
- 51Voluntary running rescues adult hippocampal neurogenesis after irradiation of the young mouse brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2008; 105: 14632–14637., , et al.
- 52Prenatal stress produces learning deficits associated with an inhibition of neurogenesis in the hippocampus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2000; 97: 11032–11037., , et al.
- 53The distribution of vasoactive intestinal peptide2 receptor messenger RNA in the rat brain and pituitary gland assessed by in situ hybridization. Neuroscience 1995; 67: 409–418., , .
- 54VPAC receptors for VIP and PACAP. Receptors Channels 2002; 8: 137–153., , .
- 55Vasoactive intestinal polypeptide mediates circadian rhythmicity and synchrony in mammalian clock neurons. Nat Neurosci 2005; 8: 476–483., , et al.
- 56Seizures induce proliferation and dispersion of doublecortin-positive hippocampal progenitor cells. Exp Neurol 2005; 196: 342–351., , et al.
- 57Seizures preferentially stimulate proliferation of radial glia-like astrocytes in the adult dentate gyrus: functional and immunocytochemical analysis. Eur J Neurosci 2003; 18: 2769–2778., , et al.