Telephone: 805-893-8490; Fax: 805-893-2005
Embryonic Stem Cells/Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells
Article first published online: 5 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 10, pages 2427–2434, October 2009
How to Cite
Buchholz, D. E., Hikita, S. T., Rowland, T. J., Friedrich, A. M., Hinman, C. R., Johnson, L. V. and Clegg, D. O. (2009), Derivation of Functional Retinal Pigmented Epithelium from Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. STEM CELLS, 27: 2427–2434. doi: 10.1002/stem.189
Author contributions: D.E.B.: Conception and design, collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript; S.T.H.: Conception and design, collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, final approval of manuscript; T.J.R.: Conception and design, collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, final approval of manuscript; A.M.F.: Collection and/or assembly of data, final approval of manuscript; C.R.H.: Collection and/or assembly of data, final approval of manuscript; L.V.J.: Conception and design, financial support, final approval of manuscript; D.O.C.: Conception and design, financial support, final approval of manuscript.
Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS August 5, 2009.
- Issue published online: 13 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 5 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2009
- California Institute for Regenerative Medicine grants. Grant Numbers: T300009, C4-00521-1
- Army Research Office
- Millipore Corporation
- Advanced Cell Technology
- NIH. Grant Number: 5R24EY014799-05
- NIH NCRR Shared Instrumentation Grant. Grant Number: 1S10RR017753-07
- 1Induced pluripotent stem cell lines derived from human somatic cells. Science 2007; 318: 1917–1920., , et al.
- 2Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors. Cell 2007; 131: 861–872., , et al.
- 3Phenotypic correction of murine hemophilia A using an iPS cell-based therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2009; 106: 808–813., , et al.
- 4Functional cardiomyocytes derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells. Circ Res 2009; 104: e30–e41., , et al.
- 5Highly efficient differentiation of human ES cells and iPS cells into mature pancreatic insulin-producing cells. Cell Res 2009; 19: 429–438., , et al.
- 6Treatment of sickle cell anemia mouse model with iPS cells generated from autologous skin. Science 2007; 318: 1920–1923., , et al.
- 7Directed differentiation of human-induced pluripotent stem cells generates active motor neurons. Stem Cells 2009; 27: 806–811., , et al.
- 8The promise of human induced pluripotent stem cells for research and therapy. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2008; 9: 725–729., , .
- 9Derivation and comparative assessment of retinal pigment epithelium from human embryonic stem cells using transcriptomics. Cloning Stem Cells 2004; 6: 217–245., , et al.
- 10Human embryonic stem cell-derived cells rescue visual function in dystrophic RCS rats. Cloning Stem Cells 2006; 8: 189–199., , et al.
- 11Long-term safety and function of RPE from human embryonic stem cells in preclinical models of macular degeneration. Stem Cells 2009 [Epub ahead of print]., , et al.
- 12Molecular characterization and functional analysis of phagocytosis by human embryonic stem cell-derived RPE cells using a novel human retinal assay. Mol Vis 2009; 15: 283–295., , et al.
- 13Elucidating the phenomenon of HESC-derived RPE: anatomy of cell genesis, expansion and retinal transplantation. Exp Neurol 2008; 214: 347–361., , et al.
- 14Effects of extracellular matrix and neighboring cells on induction of human embryonic stem cells into retinal or retinal pigment epithelial progenitors. Exp Eye Res 2008; 86: 957–965., , et al.
- 15Embryonic stem cells and retinal repair. Mech Dev 2007; 124: 807–829., , et al.
- 16Age-related macular degeneration—emerging pathogenetic and therapeutic concepts. Ann Med 2006; 38: 450–471., , et al.
- 17The retinal pigment epithelium in visual function. Physiol Rev 2005; 85: 845–881..
- 18Autologous transplantation of retinal pigment epithelium-Bruch's membrane complex for hemorrhagic age-related macular degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2008., , et al.
- 19Evidence of retinal function using microperimetry following autologous retinal pigment epithelium-choroid graft in macular dystrophy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2008; 49: 3143–3150., , et al.
- 20Autologous translocation of the choroid and RPE in age-related macular degeneration: 1-year follow-up in 30 patients and recommendations for patient selection. Eye 2008; 22: 799–807., , et al.
- 21Autologous transplantation of the retinal pigment epithelium and choroid in the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology 2007; 114: 561–570., , et al.
- 22Autologous retinal pigment epithelium-choroid sheet transplantation in age related macular degeneration: morphological and functional results. Br J Ophthalmol 2007; 91: 349–353., , et al.
- 23Long-term visual and microperimetry outcomes following autologous retinal pigment epithelium choroid graft for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 2009; 37: 275–285., , et al.
- 24A comparison of macular translocation with patch graft in neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2009; 50: 1848–1855., , et al.
- 25Stem cell derived retinal pigment epithelium for the treatment of age-related macular degeneration. Journal Of Vision 2008; 8: 47–47., , et al.
- 26Confluent monolayers of cultured human fetal retinal pigment epithelium exhibit morphology and physiology of native tissue. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2006; 47: 3612–3624., , et al.
- 27Identification of Leptospira biflexa by real-time homogeneous detection of rapid cycle PCR product. J Microbiol Methods 1999; 35: 23–30., , et al.
- 28Disease susceptibility of the human macula: differential gene transcription in the retinal pigmented epithelium/choroid. Exp Eye Res 2007; 85: 366–380., , et al.
- 29Integrin alphavbeta5 participates in the binding of photoreceptor rod outer segments during phagocytosis by cultured human retinal pigment epithelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1998; 39: 1703–1712., .
- 30Differentiation and transdifferentiation of the retinal pigment epithelium. Int Rev Cytol 1997; 171: 225–266., , .
- 31Human retinal pigment cell culture. In Vitro 1983; 19: 642–650..
- 32Eye development: a view from the retina pigmented epithelium. Bioessays 2004; 26: 766–777., , .
- 33Gene expression patterns in human embryonic stem cells and human pluripotent germ cell tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003; 100: 13350–13355., , et al.
- 34The melanosome: membrane dynamics in black and white. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2001; 2: 738–748., .
- 35Vitamin A metabolism in the retinal pigment epithelium: genes, mutations, and diseases. Prog Retin Eye Res 2003; 22: 683–703., .
- 36Gene expression profile of native human retinal pigment epithelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2002; 43: 603–607., , et al.
- 37PEDF: a multifaceted neurotrophic factor. Nat Rev Neurosci 2003; 4: 628–636., .
- 38Bestrophin, the product of the Best vitelliform macular dystrophy gene (VMD2), localizes to the basolateral plasma membrane of the retinal pigment epithelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000; 97: 12758–12763., , et al.
- 39Expression, secretion, and age-related downregulation of pigment epithelium-derived factor, a serpin with neurotrophic activity. J Neurosci 1995; 15: 4992–5003., , et al.
- 40Alternative promoter use in eye development: the complex role and regulation of the transcription factor MITF. Development 2008; 135: 1169–1178., , et al.
- 41Phagocytosis of rod outer segments by retinal pigment epithelial cells requires alpha(v)beta5 integrin for binding but not for internalization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1997; 94: 12932–12937., , et al.
- 42The prenatal development of the human eye. Exp Eye Res 1975; 21: 93–112..
- 43Drusen are associated with local and distant disruptions to human retinal pigment epithelium cells. Exp Eye Res 2009; 88: 610–612., , et al.
- 44Retinal pigment epithelial cells: development in vivo and derivation from human embryonic stem cells in vitro for treatment of age-related macular degeneration. In: ShiY, CleggDO, eds. Stem Cell Research and Therapeutics: Springer Publishing, 2008: 1–24., , , et al.
- 45Mutation of key residues of RPE65 abolishes its enzymatic role as isomerohydrolase in the visual cycle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2005; 102: 13658–13663., , et al.
- 46Mutations in RPE65 cause Leber's congenital amaurosis. Nat Genet 1997; 17: 139–141., , et al.
- 47A developmentally regulated microsomal protein specific for the pigment epithelium of the vertebrate retina. J Neurosci Res 1993; 34: 414–425., , et al.
- 48Molecular cloning and expression of RPE65, a novel retinal pigment epithelium-specific microsomal protein that is post-transcriptionally regulated in vitro. J Biol Chem 1993; 268: 15751–15757., , et al.
- 49Mutation of the receptor tyrosine kinase gene Mertk in the retinal dystrophic RCS rat. Hum Mol Genet 2000; 9: 645–651., , et al.
- 50Correction of the retinal dystrophy phenotype of the RCS rat by viral gene transfer of Mertk. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2001; 98: 12584–12589., , et al.
- 51Diverse hematopoietic potentials of five human embryonic stem cell lines. Exp Cell Res 2008; 314: 2930–2940., , et al.
- 52Distinct differentiation characteristics of individual human embryonic stem cell lines. BMC Dev Biol 2006; 6: 40., , et al.
- 53A protocol for the culture and differentiation of highly polarized human retinal pigment epithelial cells. Nat Protoc 2009; 4: 662–673., , et al.
- 54Purified RPE65 shows isomerohydrolase activity after reassociation with a phospholipid membrane. FEBS J 2009; 276: 3020–3030., , et al.
- 55Propagation of fetal human RPE cells: preservation of original culture morphology after serial passage. J Cell Physiol 1990; 143: 196–203., .
- 56Human induced pluripotent stem cells free of vector and transgene sequences. Science 2009; 324: 797–801., , et al.
- 57Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells using recombinant proteins 2009; 4: 381–384., , et al.
- 58Disease-corrected haematopoietic progenitors from Fanconi anaemia induced pluripotent stem cells. Nature 2009; 460: 53–59., , et al.
- 59Generation of retinal cells from mouse and human induced pluripotent stem cells. Neurosci Lett 2009; 458: 126–131., , et al.