Telephone: 86-731-84327330; Fax: 86-731-84327332
Embryonic Stem Cells/Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells
Version of Record online: 7 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 10, pages 2435–2445, October 2009
How to Cite
Zeng, H., Park, J. W., Guo, M., Lin, G., Crandall, L., Compton, T., Wang, X., Li, X.-J., Chen, F.-P. and Xu, R.-H. (2009), Lack of ABCG2 Expression and Side Population Properties in Human Pluripotent Stem Cells. STEM CELLS, 27: 2435–2445. doi: 10.1002/stem.192
Author contributions: H.Z.: research conception and design, collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis, manuscript writing; J.W.P. and M.G.: collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis; G.L.: collection and/or assembly of data; L.C., T.C. and X.W.: provision of study material; X.-J.L.: research design; F.-P.C: research conception and design; R.-H.X.: research conception and design, data analysis, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript.
Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS August 7, 2009.
- Issue online: 13 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 7 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 7 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 8 JUN 2009
- Connecticut Stem Cell Research Grants. Grant Numbers: 06SCB14, 06SCD02
- China Scholarship Council
- 1ABC transporters as phenotypic markers and functional regulators of stem cells. Stem Cells 2002; 20: 11–20..
- 2A human placenta-specific ATP-binding cassette gene (ABCP) on chromosome 4q22 that is involved in multidrug resistance. Cancer Res 1998; 58: 5337–5339., , et al.
- 3The ABCG2 transporter is an efficient Hoechst 33342 efflux pump and is preferentially expressed by immature human hematopoietic progenitors. Blood 2002; 99: 507–512., , .
- 4Isolation and functional properties of murine hematopoietic stem cells that are replicating in vivo. J Exp Med 1996; 183: 1797–1806., , et al.
- 5The ABC transporter Bcrp1/ABCG2 is expressed in a wide variety of stem cells and is a molecular determinant of the side-population phenotype. Nat Med 2001; 7: 1028–1034., , et al.
- 6Bcrp1 gene expression is required for normal numbers of side population stem cells in mice, and confers relative protection to mitoxantrone in hematopoietic cells in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2002; 99: 12339–12344., , et al.
- 7Multipotential stem cells and ‘side population’ cells. Cytotherapy 2002; 4: 507–508..
- 8Side population cells in human cancers. Cancer Lett 2008; 268: 1–9., .
- 9ABCG2 expression is correlated neither to side population nor to hematopoietic progenitor function in human umbilical cord blood. Exp Hematol 2009; 37: 294–301., , et al.
- 10Temporal/spatial expression and efflux activity of ABC transporter, P-glycoprotein/Abcb1 isoforms and Bcrp/Abcg2 during early murine development. Gene Expr Patterns 2006; 6: 738–746., , et al.
- 11Feeder-free growth of undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells. Nat Biotechnol 2001; 19: 971–974., , et al.
- 12Clonally derived human embryonic stem cell lines maintain pluripotency and proliferative potential for prolonged periods of culture. Dev Biol 2000; 227: 271–278., , et al.
- 13Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts. Science 1998; 282: 1145–1147., , et al.
- 14Feeder-independent culture of human embryonic stem cells. Nat Methods 2006; 3: 637–646., , et al.
- 15BMP4 initiates human embryonic stem cell differentiation to trophoblast. Nat Biotechnol 2002; 20: 1261–1264., , et al.
- 16In vitro differentiation of transplantable neural precursors from human embryonic stem cells. Nat Biotechnol 2001; 19: 1129–1133., , et al.
- 17Directed neural differentiation of human embryonic stem cells via an obligated primitive anterior stage. Stem Cells 2007; 25: 1511–1520., , et al.
- 18BMP induction of Id proteins suppresses differentiation and sustains embryonic stem cell self-renewal in collaboration with STAT3. Cell 2003; 115: 281–292., , et al.
- 19Promotion of trophoblast stem cell proliferation by FGF4. Science 1998; 282: 2072–2075., , et al.
- 20Basic FGF and suppression of BMP signaling sustain undifferentiated proliferation of human ES cells. Nat Methods 2005; 2: 185–190., , et al.
- 21Derivation of embryonic stem-cell lines from human blastocysts. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 1353–1356., , et al.
- 22Induced pluripotent stem cell lines derived from human somatic cells. Science 2007; 318: 1917–1920., , et al.
- 23High level functional expression of the ABCG2 multidrug transporter in undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 2008; 1778: 2700–2709., , et al.
- 24Derivation of human embryonic stem cells in defined conditions. Nat Biotechnol 2006; 24: 185–187., , et al.
- 25Distinct populations of forebrain neural stem and progenitor cells can be isolated using side-population analysis. J Neurosci 2003; 23: 10703–10709., .
- 26Porphyrin homeostasis maintained by ABCG2 regulates self-renewal of embryonic stem cells. Plos One 2008; 3: e4023., , et al.
- 27Basic fibroblast growth factor activates ERK and induces c-fos in human embryonic stem cell line MizhES1. Stem Cells Dev 2005; 14: 395–401., , et al.
- 28MEK/ERK signaling contributes to the maintenance of human embryonic stem cell self-renewal. Differentiation 2007; 75: 299–307., , et al.
- 29NANOG is a direct target of TGFbeta/activin-mediated SMAD signaling in human ESCs. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 196–206., , et al.
- 30Formation of pluripotent stem cells in the mammalian embryo depends on the POU transcription factor Oct4. Cell 1998; 95: 379–391., , et al.
- 31mTert expression correlates with telomerase activity during the differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells. Mech Dev 2000; 97: 109–116., , et al.
- 32Characterization of human embryonic stem cell lines by the International Stem Cell Initiative. Nat Biotechnol 2007; 25: 803–816., , et al.
- 33Orphan nuclear receptor LRH-1 is required to maintain Oct4 expression at the epiblast stage of embryonic development. Mol Cell Biol 2005; 25: 3492–3505., , et al.
- 34Embryonic stem cells: prospects for developmental biology and cell therapy. Physiol Rev 2005; 85: 635–678., .
- 35Differentiation of embryonic stem cells to clinically relevant populations: lessons from embryonic development. Cell 2008; 132: 661–680., .
- 36Monoclonal antibody to murine embryos defines a stage-specific embryonic antigen expressed on mouse embryos and human teratocarcinoma cells. Cell 1982; 30: 697–705., , et al.
- 37Molecular and biological properties of pluripotent embryonic stem cells. Gene Ther 2008; 15: 74–81., .
- 38Maintenance of pluripotency in human embryonic stem cells is STAT3 independent. Stem Cells 2004; 22: 522–530., , et al.
- 39TGFbeta/activin/nodal signaling is necessary for the maintenance of pluripotency in human embryonic stem cells. Development 2005; 132: 1273–1282., , et al.
- 40Quantitative expression of Oct-3/4 defines differentiation, dedifferentiation or self-renewal of ES cells. Nat Genet 2000; 24: 372–376., , .
- 41Breast cancer resistance protein (Bcrp1/Abcg2) in mouse placenta and yolk sac: ontogeny and its regulation by progesterone. Placenta 2007; 28: 1073–1081., , et al.
- 42BCRP/ABCG2 in the placenta: expression, function and regulation. Pharm Res 2008; 25: 1244–1255..