Telephone: 612-624-0922; Fax: 612-626-4915
Embryonic Stem Cells/Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 11, pages 2675–2685, November 2009
How to Cite
Tian, X., Hexum, M. K., Penchev, V. R., Taylor, R. J., Shultz, L. D. and Kaufman, D. S. (2009), Bioluminescent Imaging Demonstrates That Transplanted Human Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived CD34+ Cells Preferentially Develop into Endothelial Cells. STEM CELLS, 27: 2675–2685. doi: 10.1002/stem.204
Author contributions: X.T.: Conception and design, collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing; M.K.H.: collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation; V.R.P. and R.J.T: collection and/or assembly of data; L.D.S.: financial support, provision of study material or patients; D.S.K.: conception and design, financial support, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript.
Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS August 26, 2009.
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 26 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 15 FEB 2009
- NIH. Grant Numbers: HL77923, HL77642
- Leukemia Research Fund of the University of Minnesota Masonic Cancer Center
- 1Hematopoietic colony-forming cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001; 98: 10716–10721., , et al.
- 2Human embryonic stem cell-derived CD34+ cells: efficient production in the coculture with OP9 stromal cells and analysis of lymphohematopoietic potential. Blood 2005; 105: 617–626., , et al.
- 3Cytokine requirements differ for stroma and embryoid body-mediated hematopoiesis from human embryonic stem cells. Exp Hematol 2004; 32: 1000–1009., , et al.
- 4Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells into hematopoietic cells by coculture with human fetal liver cells recapitulates the globin switch that occurs early in development. Exp Hematol 2005; 33: 1450– 1458., , et al.
- 5Wnt signaling promotes hematoendothelial cell development from human embryonic stem cells. Blood 2008; 111: 122–131., , et al.
- 6Human embryonic stem cell-derived NK cells acquire functional receptors and cytolytic activity. J Immunol 2005; 175: 5095–5103., , et al.
- 7Large-scale production of embryonic red blood cells from human embryonic stem cells. Exp Hematol 2006; 34: 1635–1642., , et al.
- 8Derivation of normal macrophages from human embryonic stem (hES) cells for applications in HIV gene therapy. Retrovirology 2006; 3: 24., , et al.
- 9Megakaryocytes derived from human embryonic stem cells: a genetically tractable system to study megakaryocytopoiesis and integrin function. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4: 436–442., , et al.
- 10Endothelial and hematopoietic cell fate of human embryonic stem cells originates from primitive endothelium with hemangioblastic properties. Immunity 2004; 21: 31–41., , et al.
- 11Development of the hemangioblast defines the onset of hematopoiesis in human ES cell differentiation cultures. Blood 2007; 109: 2679–2687., , et al.
- 12Expression of angiotensin-converting enzyme (CD143) identifies and regulates primitive hemangioblasts derived from human pluripotent stem cells. Blood 2008; 112: 3601–3614., , et al.
- 13Generation of functional hemangioblasts from human embryonic stem cells. Nat Methods 2007; 4: 501–509., , et al.
- 14SCID mice as an in vivo model of human cord blood hematopoiesis. Blood Cells 1994; 20: 316–320, discussion 320–312., , et al.
- 15Cytokine stimulation of multilineage hematopoiesis from immature human cells engrafted in SCID mice. Science 1992; 255: 1137–1141., , et al.
- 16Purification of primitive human hematopoietic cells capable of repopulating immune-deficient mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1997; 94: 5320–5325., , et al.
- 17Identification of primitive human hematopoietic cells capable of repopulating NOD/SCID mouse bone marrow: Implications for gene therapy. Nat Med 1996; 2: 1329–1337., , et al.
- 18A newly discovered class of human hematopoietic cells with SCID-repopulating activity. Nat Med 1998; 4: 1038–1045., , et al.
- 19Identification of long-term repopulating potential of human cord blood-derived CD34-flt3- severe combined immunodeficiency-repopulating cells by intra-bone marrow injection. Stem Cells 2007; 25: 1348–1355., , et al.
- 20Rapid myeloerythroid repopulation after intrafemoral transplantation of NOD-SCID mice reveals a new class of human stem cells. Nat Med 2003; 9: 959–963., , et al.
- 21Differential long-term and multilineage engraftment potential from subfractions of human CD34+ cord blood cells transplanted into NOD/SCID mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002; 99: 413–418., , .
- 22CD34+AC133+ cells isolated from cord blood are highly enriched in long-term culture-initiating cells, NOD/SCID-repopulating Cells And Dendritic Cell Progenitors. Stem Cells 1998; 16: 387–396., , et al.
- 23Hematopoietic engraftment of human embryonic stem cell-derived cells is regulated by recipient innate immunity. Stem Cells 2006; 24: 1370–1380., , et al.
- 24Generation of hematopoietic repopulating cells from human embryonic stem cells independent of ectopic HOXB4 expression. J Exp Med 2005; 201: 1603–1614., , et al.
- 25Human embryonic stem cell-derived hematopoietic cells are capable of engrafting primary as well as secondary fetal sheep recipients. Blood 2006; 107: 2180–2183., , et al.
- 26OP9 Stroma augments survival of hematopoietic precursors and progenitors during hematopoietic differentiation from human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 2008; 26: 2485–2495., , et al.
- 27Efficient hematopoietic differentiation of human embryonic stem cells on stromal cells derived from hematopoietic niches. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 85–98., , et al.
- 28Complete reconstitution of human lymphocytes from cord blood CD34+ cells using the NOD/SCID/γc-null mice model. Blood 2003; 102: 873–880., , et al.
- 29Functional human T lymphocyte development from cord blood CD34+ cells in nonobese diabetic/Shi-scid, IL-2 Receptor Gamma Null Mice. J Immunol 2002; 169: 204–209., , et al.
- 30Creation of “humanized” mice to study human immunity. Curr Protoc Immunol 2008;Chapter 15:Unit 15.21., , .
- 31Efficient and stable transgene expression in human embryonic stem cells using transposon-mediated gene transfer. Stem Cells 2007; 25: 2919–2927., , et al.
- 32Hematopoietic development of human embryonic stem cells in culture. Methods Mol Biol 2008; 430: 119–133., .
- 33Development of a human adaptive immune system in cord blood cell-transplanted mice. Science 2004; 304: 104–107., , et al.
- 34Emergence of human angiohematopoietic cells in normal development and from cultured embryonic stem cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2007; 1106: 223–232., , et al.
- 35In vivo repopulating hematopoietic stem cells are present in the murine yolk sac at day 9.0 postcoitus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1997; 94: 6776–6780., , .
- 36Simultaneous generation of CD34+ primitive hematopoietic cells and CD73+ mesenchymal stem cells from human embryonic stem cells cocultured with murine OP9 stromal cells. Exp Hematol 2007; 35: 146–154., .
- 37Monoclonal antibody BB9 raised against bone marrow stromal cells identifies a cell-surface glycoprotein expressed by primitive human hemopoietic progenitors. Exp Hematol 2001; 29: 981–992., , et al.
- 38Stem cell c-KIT and HOXB4 genes: Critical roles and mechanisms in self-renewal, proliferation, and differentiation. Stem Cells Dev 2006; 15: 755–778., , et al.
- 39Directed differentiation of human embryonic stem cells into functional dendritic cells through the myeloid pathway. J Immunol 2006; 176: 2924–2932., , et al.
- 40T lineage differentiation from human embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2006; 103: 11742–11747., , et al.
- 41Development of functional human blood and immune systems in NOD/SCID/IL2 receptor γ chain(null) mice. Blood 2005; 106: 1565–1573., , et al.
- 42Human-hemato-lymphoid-system mice: Opportunities and challenges. Immunity 2007; 26: 537–541..
- 43Humanized mice in translational biomedical research. Nat Rev Immunol 2007; 7: 118–130., , .
- 44Cytokine interactions in mesenchymal stem cells from cord blood. Cytokine 2005; 32: 270–279., .
- 45Homing of in vitro expanded Stro-1- or Stro-1+ human mesenchymal stem cells into the NOD/SCID mouse and their role in supporting human CD34 cell engraftment. Blood 2004; 103: 3313–3319., , et al.
- 46Cotransplantation of human mesenchymal stem cells enhances human myelopoiesis and megakaryocytopoiesis in NOD/SCID mice. Exp Hematol 2003; 31: 413–420., , et al.
- 47Mesenchymal stem cells promote engraftment of human umbilical cord blood-derived CD34(+) cells in NOD/SCID mice. Exp Hematol 2002; 30: 870–878., , et al.
- 48Mesenchymal stem cells and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2003; 996: 235–244., .