Telephone: 613 8 344 8004; Fax: 613 8 344 7909
Embryonic Stem Cells/Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells
Article first published online: 11 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 12, pages 2941–2951, December 2009
How to Cite
Hughes, J. N., Dodge, N., Rathjen, P. D. and Rathjen, J. (2009), A Novel Role for γ-Secretase in the Formation of Primitive Streak-like Intermediates from ES Cells in Culture. STEM CELLS, 27: 2941–2951. doi: 10.1002/stem.218
Author contributions: J.H.: conception and design, collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing; N.D.: collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation; P.R.: conception and design, financial support, administrative support, data analysis and interpretation; J.R.: conception and design, collection and/or assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, administrative support, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS August 28, 2009.
Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article.
- Issue published online: 14 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 11 SEP 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 11 SEP 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 10 DEC 2008
- Australian Stem Cell Centre, Ground Floor, Building 75, STRIP, Monash University, Wellington Road, Clayton, Victoria 3800 Australia
- University of Adelaide scholarship
- 1Establishment in culture of pluripotential cells from mouse embryos. Nature 1981; 292: 154–156., .
- 2Isolation of a pluripotent cell line from early mouse embryos cultured in medium conditioned by teratocarcinoma stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1981; 78: 7634–7638..
- 3Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts. Science 1998; 282: 1145–1147., , et al.
- 4Embryonic stem cell lines from human blastocysts: Somatic differentiation in vitro. Nat Biotechnol 2000; 18: 399–404., , et al.
- 5At most three ES cells contribute to the somatic lineages of chimeric mice and of mice produced by ES-tetraploid complementation. Dev Biol 2004; 275: 192–201., .
- 6Hematopoietic stem cells: The paradigmatic tissue-specific stem cell. Am J Pathol 2006; 169: 338–346., , .
- 7Properties and uses of embryonic stem cells: Prospects for application to human biology and gene therapy. Reprod Fertil Dev 1998; 10: 31–47., , et al.
- 8Multilineage differentiation from human embryonic stem cell lines. Stem Cells 2001; 19: 193–204., , .
- 9Proposal of a model of mammalian neural induction. Dev Biol 2007; 308: 247–256., .
- 10Bone morphogenetic protein-4 is required for mesoderm formation and patterning in the mouse. Genes Dev 1995; 9: 2105–2116., , et al.
- 11Requirement for Wnt3 in vertebrate axis formation. Nat Genet 1999; 22: 361–365., , et al.
- 12Targeted disruption of Fgf8 causes failure of cell migration in the gastrulating mouse embryo. Genes Dev 1999; 13: 1834–1846., , et al.
- 13Gene function in mouse embryogenesis: Get set for gastrulation. Nat Rev Genet 2007; 8: 368–381., .
- 14FGF signaling regulates mesoderm cell fate specification and morphogenetic movement at the primitive streak. Dev Cell 2001; 1: 37–49., .
- 15Characterization of mesendoderm: A diverging point of the definitive endoderm and mesoderm in embryonic stem cell differentiation culture. Development 2005; 132: 4363–4374., , et al.
- 16Gamma-secretase: Proteasome of the membrane? Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2004; 5: 499–504., .
- 17Notch promotes neural lineage entry by pluripotent embryonic stem cells. Plos Biol 2006; 4: e121., , et al.
- 18Induction of cardiogenesis in embryonic stem cells via downregulation of Notch1 signaling. Circ Res 2006; 98: 1471–1478., , et al.
- 19The role of E-cadherin and integrins in mesoderm differentiation and migration at the mammalian primitive streak. Development 1993; 118: 829–844., , .
- 20A presenilin-1/gamma-secretase cleavage releases the E-cadherin intracellular domain and regulates disassembly of adherens junctions. EMBO J 2002; 21: 1948– 1956., , et al.
- 21Notch signaling: Cell fate control and signal integration in development. Science 1999; 284: 770–776., , .
- 22Gamma-secretase/presenilin inhibitors for Alzheimer's disease phenocopy Notch mutations in Drosophila. FASEB J 2003; 17: 79–81., , et al.
- 23The mechanism of gamma-secretase: Multiple inhibitor binding sites for transition state analogs and small molecule inhibitors. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 28968–28975., , et al.
- 24The in vitro development of blastocyst-derived embryonic stem cell lines: Formation of visceral yolk sac, blood islands and myocardium. J Embryol Exp Morphol 1985; 87: 27–45., , et al.
- 25BMP induction of Id proteins suppresses differentiation and sustains embryonic stem cell self-renewal in collaboration with STAT3. Cell 2003; 115: 281–292., , et al.
- 26The primitive streak gene Mixl1 is required for efficient haematopoiesis and BMP4-induced ventral mesoderm patterning in differentiating ES cells. Development 2005; 132: 873–884., , et al.
- 27Lineage specific differentiation of mouse ES cells: Formation and differentiation of early primitive ectoderm-like (EPL) cells. Methods Enzymol 2003; 365: 3–25., .
- 28Formation of a primitive ectoderm-like cell population, EPL Cells, from ES cells in response to biologically derived factors. J Cell Sci 1999; 112( Pt 5): 601–612., , et al.
- 29Directed differentiation of pluripotent cells to neural lineages: Homogeneous formation and differentiation of a neurectoderm population. Development 2002; 129: 2649–2661., , et al.
- 30Manipulation of cell:cell contacts and mesoderm suppressing activity direct lineage choice from pluripotent primitive ectoderm-like cells in culture. PLoS One 2009; 4( 5): e5579., , et al.
- 31Q-Gene: Processing quantitative real-time RT-PCR data. Bioinformatics 2003; 19: 1439–1440..
- 32Processing of gene expression data generated by quantitative real-time RT-PCR. Biotechniques 2002; 32: 1372–1374, 1376, 1378–1379., , et al.
- 33Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. Methods Mol Biol 2000; 132: 365–386., .
- 34A family of RS domain proteins with novel subcellular localization and trafficking. Nucleic Acids Res 2005; 33: 1309–1322., , et al.
- 35Identification of a biological activity that supports maintenance and proliferation of pluripotent cells from the primitive ectoderm of the mouse. Biol Reprod 2003; 69: 1863–1871., , et al.
- 36A transitional stage in the commitment of mesoderm to hematopoiesis requiring the transcription factor SCL/tal-1. Development 2000; 127: 2447–2459., , et al.
- 37Leukemia inhibitory factor is expressed by the preimplantation uterus and selectively blocks primitive ectoderm formation in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1992; 89: 8240–8244., .
- 38Dynamic equilibrium and heterogeneity of mouse pluripotent stem cells with distinct functional and epigenetic states. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 391–401., , et al.
- 39Reversible programming of pluripotent cell differentiation. J Cell Sci 2000; 113( Pt 3): 555–566., , et al.
- 40Manipulation of cell:cell contacts and mesoderm suppressing activity direct lineage choice from pluripotent primitive ectoderm-like cells in culture. Plos One 2009; 4: e5579., , et al.
- 41Mixl1 is required for axial mesendoderm morphogenesis and patterning in the murine embryo. Development 2002; 129: 3597–3608., , et al.
- 42Evidence for involvement of activin A and bone morphogenetic protein 4 in mammalian mesoderm and hematopoietic development. Mol Cell Biol 1995; 15: 141–151., .
- 43Activin/Nodal signalling maintains pluripotency by controlling Nanog expression. Development 2009; 136: 1339–1349., , et al.
- 44Histone deacetylase inhibition elicits an evolutionarily conserved self-renewal program in embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 2009; 4: 359–369., , et al.
- 45Targeting a GFP reporter gene to the MIXL1 locus of human embryonic stem cells identifies human primitive streak-like cells and enables isolation of primitive hematopoietic precursors. Blood 2008; 111: 1876–1884., , et al.
- 46Characterization of human embryonic stem cell lines by the International Stem Cell Initiative. Nat Biotechnol 2007; 25: 803–816., , et al.
- 47A pure population of ectodermal cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 2008; 26: 440–444., , et al.
- 48Commitment of embryonic stem cells to an epidermal cell fate and differentiation in vitro. Dev Dyn 2005; 232: 293–300., .
- 49Bacteroides fragilis toxin stimulates intestinal epithelial cell shedding and gamma-secretase-dependent E-cadherin cleavage. J Cell Sci 2007; 120: 1944–1952., , et al.
- 50p38 and a p38-interacting protein are critical for downregulation of E-cadherin during mouse gastrulation. Cell 2006; 125: 957–969., , et al.
- 51Mouse gastrulation: The formation of a mammalian body plan. Mech Dev 1997; 68: 3–25., .
- 52Beta-catenin signaling marks the prospective site of primitive streak formation in the mouse embryo. Dev Dyn 2004; 231: 416–424., , .
- 53Canonical Wnt signaling is required for development of embryonic stem cell-derived mesoderm. Development 2006; 133: 3787–3796., , et al.
- 54Mice lacking both presenilin genes exhibit early embryonic patterning defects. Genes Dev 1999; 13: 2801–2810., , et al.
- 55Presenilin-1 binds cytoplasmic epithelial cadherin, inhibits cadherin/p120 association, and regulates stability and function of the cadherin/catenin adhesion complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2001; 98: 2381–2386., , et al.
- 56New cell lines from mouse epiblast share defining features with human embryonic stem cells. Nature 2007; 448: 196–199., , et al.
- 57Derivation of pluripotent epiblast stem cells from mammalian embryos. Nature 2007; 448: 191–195., , et al.
- 58Regulation of human embryonic stem cell differentiation by BMP-2 and its antagonist noggin. J Cell Sci 2004; 117: 1269–1280., , et al.
- 59BMP4 initiates human embryonic stem cell differentiation to trophoblast. Nat Biotechnol 2002; 20: 1261–1264., , et al.
- 60Short-term BMP-4 treatment initiates mesoderm induction in human embryonic stem cells. Blood 2008; 111: 1933–1941., , et al.
- 61Highly efficient neural conversion of human ES and iPS cells by dual inhibition of SMAD signaling. Nat Biotechnol 2009; 27: 275–280., , et al.
- 62Vertebrate embryonic cells will become nerve cells unless told otherwise. Cell 1997; 88: 13–17., .
- 63Induction of epidermis and inhibition of neural fate by Bmp-4. Nature 1995; 376: 331–333., .
- 64BMP receptor IA is required in the mammalian embryo for endodermal morphogenesis and ectodermal patterning. Dev Biol 2004; 270: 47–63., , et al.
- 65Hematopoietic-specific genes are not induced during in vitro differentiation of scl-null embryonic stem cells. Blood 1997; 90: 1435–1447., , et al.
- 66p53 induces differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells by suppressing Nanog expression. Nat Cell Biol 2005; 7: 165–171., , et al.