Telephone: (+1) 323-442-1618; Fax: (+1) 323-442-4040
Embryonic Stem Cells/Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells
Article first published online: 8 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 12, pages 2969–2978, December 2009
How to Cite
Wei, Z., Yang, Y., Zhang, P., Andrianakos, R., Hasegawa, K., Lyu, J., Chen, X., Bai, G., Liu, C., Pera, M. and Lu, W. (2009), Klf4 Interacts Directly with Oct4 and Sox2 to Promote Reprogramming. STEM CELLS, 27: 2969–2978. doi: 10.1002/stem.231
Author contributions: Z.W.: conception and design, collection and assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing; Y.Y.: collection and assembly of data, data analysis and interpretation; P.Z., R.A., and K.H.: collection and assembly of data; J.L., X.C., G.B., and C.L.: provision of study material; M.P.: data analysis and interpretation; W.L.: conception and design, financial support, data analysis and interpretation, manuscript writing, final approval of manuscript.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS October 8, 2009.
Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article.
- Issue published online: 14 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 8 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 8 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 9 JUN 2009
- 1Stem cells, the molecular circuitry of pluripotency and nuclear reprogramming. Cell 2008; 132: 567–582., .
- 2Epigenetic reprogramming and induced pluripotency. Development 2009; 136: 509–523., .
- 3Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors. Cell 2006; 126: 663–676., .
- 4A drug-inducible transgenic system for direct reprogramming of multiple somatic cell types. Nat Biotechnol 2008; 26: 916–924., , et al.
- 5Molecules that promote or enhance reprogramming of somatic cells to induced pluripotent stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 2009; 4: 301–312., , et al.
- 6Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells without Myc from mouse and human fibroblasts. Nat Biotechnol 2008; 26: 101–106., , et al.
- 7Sequential expression of pluripotency markers during direct reprogramming of mouse somatic cells. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 2: 151–159., , et al.
- 8Virus-free induction of pluripotency and subsequent excision of reprogramming factors. Nature 2009; 458: 771–775., , et al.
- 9Induced pluripotent stem cells generated without viral integration. Science 2008; 322: 945–949., , et al.
- 10Generation of mouse induced pluripotent stem cells without viral vectors. Science 2008; 322: 949–953., , et al.
- 11piggyBac transposition reprograms fibroblasts to induced pluripotent stem cells. Nature 2009; 458: 766–770., , et al.
- 12Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells using recombinant proteins. Cell Stem Cell 2009; 4: 381–384., , et al.
- 13Induction of pluripotent stem cells from primary human fibroblasts with only Oct4 and Sox2. Nat Biotechnol 2008; 26: 1269–1275., , et al.
- 14Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic fibroblasts by Oct4 and Klf4 with small-molecule compounds. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 568–574., , et al.
- 15Wnt signaling promotes reprogramming of somatic cells to pluripotency. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 132–135., , et al.
- 16Kruppel-like factor 4 is acetylated by p300 and regulates gene transcription via modulation of histone acetylation. J Biol Chem 2007; 282: 33994–34002., , et al.
- 17A core Klf circuitry regulates self-renewal of embryonic stem cells. Nat Cell Biol 2008; 10: 353–360., , et al.
- 18Klf4 cooperates with Oct3/4 and Sox2 to activate the Lefty1 core promoter in embryonic stem cells. Mol Cell Biol 2006; 26: 7772–7782., , et al.
- 19Role of the murine reprogramming factors in the induction of pluripotency. Cell 2009; 136: 364–377., , et al.
- 20Klf4 reverts developmentally programmed restriction of ground state pluripotency. Development 2009; 136: 1063–1069., , et al.
- 21Metastable pluripotent states in NOD-mouse-derived ESCs. Cell Stem Cell 2009; 4: 513–524., , et al.
- 22A tale of three fingers: the family of mammalian Sp/XKLF transcription factors. Nucleic Acids Res 1999; 27: 2991–3000., .
- 23Functional synergy and physical interactions of the erythroid transcription factor GATA-1 with the Kruppel family proteins Sp1 and EKLF. Mol Cell Biol 1995; 15: 2437–2447., .
- 24DNA recognition by Cys2His2 zinc finger proteins. Ann Rev Biophys Biomol Struct 2000; 29: 183–212., , .
- 25Exploring the sequence space for tetracycline-dependent transcriptional activators: novel mutations yield expanded range and sensitivity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000; 97: 7963–7968., , et al.
- 26Germline transmission and tissue-specific expression of transgenes delivered by lentiviral vectors. Science 2002; 295: 868–872., , et al.
- 27Cleavage of the Wnt receptor Ryk regulates neuronal differentiation during cortical neurogenesis. Dev Cell 2008; 15: 773–780., , .
- 28Induction of pluripotent stem cells from fibroblast cultures. Nat Protoc 2007; 2: 3081–3089., , et al.
- 29Allele-specific expression of imprinted genes in mouse migratory primordial germ cells. Mech Dev 2002; 115: 157–160., , et al.
- 30Expression and purification of GST fusion proteins. Curr Protoc Protein Sci 2008; Chapter 6:Unit 6 6.and .
- 31Mammalian Ryk is a Wnt coreceptor required for stimulation of neurite outgrowth. Cell 2004; 119: 97–108., , et al.
- 32Characterizing transcription factor binding sites using formaldehyde crosslinking and immunoprecipitation. Methods 2002; 26: 48–56., .
- 33Reprogramming of neural progenitor cells into iPS cells in the absence of exogenous Sox2 expression. Stem Cells 2008; 26: 2467–2474., , et al.
- 34Characterization of the structure and regulation of the murine gene encoding gut-enriched Kruppel-like factor (Kruppel-like factor 4). Nucleic Acids Res 1999; 27: 4562–4569., , et al.
- 35Cross-species de novo identification of cis-regulatory modules with GibbsModule: application to gene regulation in embryonic stem cells. Genome Res 2008; 18: 1325–1335., , et al.
- 36Transcriptional regulation of nanog by OCT4 and SOX2. J Biol Chem 2005; 280: 24731–24737., , et al.
- 37Reprogramming of fibroblasts into induced pluripotent stem cells with orphan nuclear receptor Esrrb. Nat Cell Biol 2009; 11: 197–203., , et al.
- 38Oct4-induced pluripotency in adult neural stem cells. Cell 2009; 136: 411–419., , et al.
- 39Reprogramming of murine fibroblasts to induced pluripotent stem cells with chemical complementation of Klf4. Proc Natl Acac Sci U S A 2009; 106: 8912–8917., , et al.
- 40The KLF4 tumour suppressor is a transcriptional repressor of p53 that acts as a context-dependent oncogene. Nat Cell Biol 2005; 7: 1074–1082., , .
- 41A protein interaction network for pluripotency of embryonic stem cells. Nature 2006; 444: 364–368., , et al.
- 42Directly reprogrammed fibroblasts show global epigenetic remodeling and widespread tissue contribution. Cell Stem Cell 2007; 1: 55–70., , et al.
- 43Human induced pluripotent stem cells free of vector and transgene sequences. Science 2009; 324: 797–801., , et al.