Telephone: (858) 784-7376; Fax: (858) 784-9440
Embryonic Stem Cells/Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells
Article first published online: 16 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 AlphaMed Press
Volume 27, Issue 12, pages 2992–3000, December 2009
How to Cite
Li, W., Zhou, H., Abujarour, R., Zhu, S., Young Joo, J., Lin, T., Hao, E., Schöler, H. R., Hayek, A. and Ding, S. (2009), Generation of Human-Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells in the Absence of Exogenous Sox2. STEM CELLS, 27: 2992–3000. doi: 10.1002/stem.240
Author contributions: S.D.: conception of the study, manuscript writing, supervision of the study; W.L.: conception of the study, manuscript writing, experimentation; R.A.: manuscript writing, experimentation; H.Z., S.Z. and T.L.: experimentation; E.H.: generation of teratomas; A.H.: supervision of E.H.; J.Y.J.: generation of chimera data; H.R.S.: supervision of J.Y.J.
First published online in STEM CELLS EXPRESS October 16, 2009.
Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article.
- Issue published online: 14 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 16 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Received: 11 MAY 2009
- Fate Therapeutics and CIRM
- Larry L Hillblom Foundation
- 1Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors. Cell 2006; 126: 663–676., .
- 2Generation of germline-competent induced pluripotent stem cells. Nature 2007; 448: 313–317., , .
- 3Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors. Cell 2007; 131: 861–872., , et al.
- 4Induced pluripotent stem cell lines derived from human somatic cells. Science 2007; 318: 1917–1920., , et al.
- 5Induced pluripotent stem cells generated without viral integration. Science 2008; 322: 945–949., , et al.
- 6Generation of mouse induced pluripotent stem cells without viral vectors. Science 2008; 322: 949–953., , et al.
- 7Human induced pluripotent stem cells free of vector and transgene sequences. Science 2009; 324: 797–801., , et al.
- 8Generation of human induced pluripotent stem cells by direct delivery of reprogramming proteins. Cell Stem Cell 2009; 4: 472–476., , et al.
- 9Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells using recombinant proteins. Cell Stem Cell 2009; 4: 381–384., , et al.
- 10Pluripotent stem cells induced from adult neural stem cells by reprogramming with two factors. Nature 2008; 454: 646–650., , et al.
- 11A combined chemical and genetic approach for the generation of induced pluripotent stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 2: 525–528., , et al.
- 12Reprogramming of neural progenitor cells into induced pluripotent stem cells in the absence of exogenous Sox2 expression. Stem Cells 2008; 26: 2467–2474., , et al.
- 13Reprogramming efficiency following somatic cell nuclear transfer is influenced by the differentiation and methylation state of the donor nucleus. Stem Cells 2006; 24:2007–2013., , et al.
- 14Reversal of H3K9me2 by a small-molecule inhibitor for the G9a histone methyltransferase. Mol Cell 2007; 25: 473–481., , et al.
- 15Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic fibroblasts by Oct4 and Klf4 with small-molecule compounds. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 568–574., , et al.
- 16Induction of pluripotent stem cells by defined factors is greatly improved by small-molecule compounds. Nat Biotechnol 2008; 26: 795–797., , et al.
- 17Induction of pluripotent stem cells from primary human fibroblasts with only Oct4 and Sox2. Nat Biotechnol 2008; 26: 1269–1275., , et al.
- 18Wnt signaling promotes reprogramming of somatic cells to pluripotency. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 132–135., , et al.
- 19Maintenance of pluripotency in human and mouse embryonic stem cells through activation of Wnt signaling by a pharmacological GSK-3-specific inhibitor. Nat Med 2004; 10: 55–63., , et al.
- 20Involvement of GSK-3 in regulation of murine embryonic stem cell self-renewal revealed by a series of bisindolylmaleimides. Chem Biol 2009; 16: 15–27., , et al.
- 21Efficient derivation of embryonic stem cells by inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3. Stem Cells 2007; 25: 2705–2711., , et al.
- 22Periodic activation of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling enhances somatic cell reprogramming mediated by cell fusion. Cell Stem Cell 2008; 3: 493–507., , et al.
- 23Promotion of reprogramming to ground state pluripotency by signal inhibition. Plos Biol 2008; 6: e253., , et al.
- 24Reprogramming of murine fibroblasts to induced pluripotent stem cells with chemical complementation of Klf4. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2009; 106: 8912–8917., , et al.
- 25Nuclei of embryonic stem cells reprogram somatic cells. Stem Cells 2004; 22: 941–949., .
- 26Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells in the absence of drug selection. Cell Stem Cell 2007; 1: 245–247., , et al.
- 27Efficient and rapid generation of induced pluripotent stem cells from human keratinocytes. Nat Biotechnol 2008; 26: 1276–1284., , et al.
- 28Derivation of human embryonic stem cell lines from embryos obtained after IVF and after PGD for monogenic disorders. Hum Reprod 2006; 21: 503–511., , et al.
- 29Sequential DNA methylation of the Nanog and Oct-4 upstream regions in human NT2 cells during neuronal differentiation. J Biol Chem 2005; 280: 6257–6260., , et al.
- 30Role of the murine reprogramming factors in the induction of pluripotency. Cell 2009; 136: 364–377., , et al.
- 31Crystal structure of histone demethylase LSD1 and tranylcypromine at 2.25 A. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2008; 366: 15–22., , et al.