Disclosure: I was a student of Erving Goffman at UC Berkeley from 1961 to 1965. Along with taking various courses and seminars with him, he was my major advisor in the sociology department, read my French exams, chaired my dissertation committee, and participated in my oral exams. After my degree we became casual friends, a relationship that continued until his death.
When Erving Goffman Was a Boy: The Formative Years of a Sociological Giant
Article first published online: 6 NOV 2013
© 2013 Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction. All rights reserved.
Special Issue: Erving Goffman
Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 41–70, February 2014
How to Cite
Cavan, S. (2014), When Erving Goffman Was a Boy: The Formative Years of a Sociological Giant. Symbolic Interaction, 37: 41–70. doi: 10.1002/symb.83
- Issue published online: 13 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 6 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 2 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 MAY 2013
- The Averbach Family Reunion, Our Journey. 2007. Private printing
- 2009. “My Father Used to Refer to Erving as ‘Goofy Goffman’,” EGA. Retrieved November 29, 2010 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/bay_eli_09.html). .
- 2008. Frances Bay is ready for her Canadian close-up, Brian D. Johnson January 23. Retrieved December 20, 2010 (http://www.macleans.ca/culture/media/article.jsp?content=20080123_100252_100252). .
- 2009. “Erving Turned to Me and Said, “You Know, Elijah Anderson Is Really a Professional Sociologist, He Is Not a Professional Black”,” EGA. Retrieved December 12, 2010 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/bershady_09.html). .
- 2009. “When Erving Was an Infant My Mother Nursed Us Both So We Were Bosom Buddies,” EGA. Retrieved December 16, 2010 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/besbris_09.html). .
- 2009. “Erving Should Not Be Judged in Any Way and Certainly Not by Students Who Saw or Knew Very Little of Goff,” EGA. Retrieved May 29, 2010 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/brownstone_09.html). .
- 2008. “Having Been Goffman's Student I Am Drawn to Voltaire's Dictum, ‘To the Living We Owe Respect, to the Dead We Owe Only the Truth.’” EGA. Retrieved November 27, 2009 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/cavan_08.html). .
- Co-ed ball. 1937. Winnipeg Free Press, Monday, Nov. 15, p. 14.
- CrownHeights.Info. Retrieved December 22, 2010 (http://www.crownheights.info/index.php?itemid=18116).
- 2009. “Erving Always Behaved Like a Guttersnipe, Teasing and Mocking With His Back Against the Wall,” EGA. Retrieved August 16, 2010 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/daniels_09.html). .
- Dauphin 1920–1940. Retrieved November 29, 2010 (http://buckwold.net/jake.html).
- Dauphin Demographics. Retrieved December 10, 2010 (http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Dauphin,-Manitoba).
- Dauphin Museum. Retrieved December 9, 2010 (http://fortdauphinmuseum.wordpress.com).
- http://www.horst-helle.de/goffmand.htm). . nd. Quote. Retrieved July 15, 2010 (
- Encyclopedia of Manitoba. 2007Winnipeg: Great Plains Publications.
- Frances Goffman Review. 1939. Winnipeg Free Press, March 7, p. 7.
- Frances Goffman Review. 1940. Winnipeg Free Press, Feb 30, p. 14.
- Frances Goffman Review. 1941. Winnipeg Free Press, Jan 14.
- 2009. “Erving Came in, Kissed Me and Said, “Oh, Goldie, You Still Have a Beautiful Nose!,” EGA. Retrieved December 1, 2010 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/frankelson_09.html). .
- 1964. Character and Social Structure. Boston, MA: Mariner Books. and 
- 1948. “The Role of Status Symbols in Social Organization,” EGA. Retrieved August 25, 2009 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//ega/documents/eg_burgess.pdf). .
- 1949. “Some Characteristics of Response to Depicted Situations,” EGA. Retrieved May 15, 2009 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//ega/documents/eg_ma.pdf). .
- 1952. “On cooling the mark out: Some aspects of adaptation to failure.” Psychiatry 15(4):451–63. .
- 1961. Encounters: Two Studies in the Sociology of Interaction. Indianapolis, IN: Bobbs-Merrill. .
- 1950. Store Sale, Winnipeg Free Press, June 9. .
- 2009. “At His Bar Mitzvah Erving Gave a Little Speech That He Wrote Himself and That He Called “Ode to Mother,” EGA. Retrieved December 18, 2010 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/besbris_09.html). .
- 1970. “Other Symptoms of the Crisis: Goffman's DramaOther New Theories.” Pp. 378–90 in The Coming Crisis of Western Sociology. New York: Basic Books. .
- Great Depression of Canada. Retrieved December 22, 2008 (http://www.yesnet.yk.ca/schools/projects/canadianhistory/depression/depression.html).
- 2009. “Erving Goffman's Presentation of Self as ASA President,” EGA. Retrieved August 1, 2010 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/huber_09.html). .
- 2006. “Remembering Erving Goffman” EGA. Retrieved August 8, 2008 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/imber_06.html). .
- 2007. Fragments from the Autobiography, “Goffman Was by Far the Smartest, Most Interesting, Complex, Though, at Times, Snide or Disparaging Individual I Have Ever Known,” EGA. Retrieved August 18, 2008 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/irwin.html). .
- Jewish Immigration to Canada. Retrieved December 12, 2008 (http://www.whitepinepictures.com/seeds/i/1/history2.html).
- Jews in Canada A. Retrieved December 18, 2008 (http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/transactions/3/jewishpolitics.shtml).
- Jews in Canada B. Retrieved December 27, 2008 (http://history.cbc.ca/history/webdriver?MIval=EpisContent&series_id=1&episode_id=13&chapter_id=4&page_id=2&lang=E).
- Jewish Politics. Retrieved December 17, 2008 (http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/transactions/3/jewishpolitics.shtml#top).
- Jews in Winnipeg. Retrieved December 27, 2008 (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_were_Jews_treated_in_1930%27s_and_1940%27s).
- 2001, “After High Holidays Erving Made up Excuses Rather than Admit that He Missed School Because He Was Jewish,” EGA. Retrieved December 12, 2010 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/katz_01.html). ,
- 2009. “In Writing These Reflections, I Realize I Should Re-read Goffman for New Insights on Contemporary Conflict Resolution Issues” EGA. Retrieved December 14, 2010 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/kriesberg_09.html). .
- 1982. “Erving Goffman, Who Has made His Reputation by Scrutinizing the Behavior of Others, Zealously Guards His Own Privacy.” Pennsylvania Gazette, February, pp. 36–42. EGA. Retrieved December 15, 2010 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//ega/articles/ledger_82.pdf). .
- 2008. “I found Goffman Talented, Original, Rewarding to Read, but Basically Problematic,” EGA. Retrieved December 15, 2010 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/lidz_08.html). .
- 1988. Dogtown to Dauphin. Manitoba: Watson & Dwyer Publishing.
- 2009. “Some of Goffman's Guardedness and Verbal Toughness Was a Way of Giving Himself the Space and Time to Do the Work He Loved,” EGA. Retrieved December 15, 2010 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/maccannell_09.html). .
- 1940. The Big Con. Indianapolis, IN: Bobbs-Merrill. .
- 2007. Encounters with Erving Goffman. EGA. Retrieved August 6, 2008 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/manning_07.html). .
- 2009. “Erving Was a Jew Acting Like a Canadian Acting Like a Britisher,” EGA. Retrieved December 15, 2010 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/mendlovitz_08.html). .
- Michie Book Obituary. 1959. Winnipeg Free Press, Dec 10, p. 31.
- 1959. Sociological Imagination. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Mrs. M and Miss F Goffman Attend a Wedding. 1936. Winnipeg Free Press, Oct. 17.
- Mrs. M. Goffman's Wedding Attire. 1936. Winnipeg Free Press, Oct. 17.
- Mrs. M. Goffman Attends a Wedding. 1945. Winnipeg Free Press, May 31.
- Mrs. M. Goffman and Hadassah. nd. Winnipeg Free Press.
- 2009. Personal communications. Fort Dauphin Museum. .
- 2010. “The Zen of Erving Goffman,” EGA. Retrieved June 6, 2011 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/miller_10.html). .
- 2008. “Seinfeld's Marble Rye Lady Honoured,” Toronto Globe and Mail, Sept. 6. .
- Radio Canada. 1930. Retrieved December 22, 2008 (www.canadaconnects.ca/broadband/main).
- 1995. Anti-Semite and the Jew. New York: Schocken Books. .
- 2010. “To me, Goffman Was a Shakespearean Figure, the Fool Who Spoke the Wisdom of the Play,” EGA. Retrieved July 6, 2011 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/scott_10.html). .
- 2008–2012. Bios Sociologicus: The Erving Goffman Archives. Dmitri N. Shalin, ed. (UNLV: CDC Publications, 2009-2012). Retrieved July 16, 2009 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/publications/ega2.html). Further abbreviated as “EGA”. .
- Silver-Buckwold Engagement. 1936. Winnipeg Free Press, Jan 9.
- Silvert Party. 1936. Winnipeg Free Press, September 12, p. 10.
- Student Strike. 1937. Winnipeg Free Press, November 6, 1937, pp. 3, 4.
- 1937. The Professional Thief. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. .
- 2011. Memoir of a Useless Boy. Berkeley, CA: University of California.
- The Village of Mannville History. 2006. December. In recognition of its 100th Anniversary.
- 1978-1979. Winnipeg Jewish Politics 1919–1939. Retrieved July 11, 2011 (http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/transactions/3/jewishpolitics.shtml). .
- 1970. Pioneer Families of the Dauphin Valley. Manitoba, Canada: Dauphin Historical Society.
- 2010, “What Struck Me First about Goffman was that he had an Amazing Elegance in his Delivery,” EGA. Retrieved June 6, 2011 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/turner_roy_10.html). .
- “U.C. Prof's Wife Dies in Bridge Leap,” OaklandtTribune, Monday, April 27, 1964, p. 1.
- Ukrainian Settle around Dauphin. Retrieved November 29, 2010 (http://books.google.com/books?id=-lyM7K-Ftr8C&pg=PA134&lpg=PA134&dq=dauphin+canada+history&source=web&ots=xQ0tIlZMNi&sig=v7DbSlIazCsvwJRREluJ06uI7Dg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PPA153,M1).
- 1958. , edited by Small Town in Mass Society. xxx: Princeton University Press. and .
- Village of Mannville. Retrieved December 22, 2008 (http://www.mannville.com/history.htm).
- Warner, Meeker and Ells. 1949. Social Class in America, a Manual of Procedure for the Measurement of Social Status. Chicago, IL: Science Research Associates.
- 1999. “Erving Goffman: What is a Life? The Uneasy Making of Intellectual Biography.” Pp. 19–41 in Goffman and Social Organization Studies in Sociological Legacy, edited by G. Smith. London: Routledge. .
- 2009. “Goffman's Greenings” in Michael Hviild Jacobsen, The Contemporary Goffman. .
- Winnipeg Commodity Exchange. Retrieved February 8, 2011 (http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0008647).
- Winnipeg Jewish Community 1919–1939. Retrieved December 22, 2008 (http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/transactions/3/jewishpolitics.shtml).
- Winnipeg North End. Retrieved December 23, 2008 (http://timelinks.merlin.mb.ca/communit/st_john.htm).
- Winnipeg Theatres. Retrieved February 13, 2011 (http://www.winnipegimages.com/winnipeg/time_machine/PAGES/winnipeg_stories/WINNIPEG_THEATRES.htm).
- Winnipeg Time Machine. Retrieved December 27, 2008 (http://winnipegtimemachine.blogspot.com/2007/02/immigration-background-to-winnipeg.html).
- Winnipeg Theater in the ‘30s. Retrieved December 23, 2008 (http://www.lib.unb.ca/Texts/TRIC/bin/get.cgi?directory=vol3_2/&filename=Endres_Review.htm).
- Winnipeg's Historic North End. Photo Courtesy of The Winnipeg Tribune. University of Manitoba Archives.
- 1951. “The Emergence of Fun Morality.” Journal of Social Issues 7:15–25. .
- 2011. “Bobby Adamson Said, ‘Pooky Is a Genius, and as Soon as He Starts Writing His Own Stuff It Will Be Recognized,’” EGA. Retrieved February 17, 2011 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/wrong_10.html). .
- WWII Refugee Ship. Retrieved December 27, 2011 (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1045&bih=464&q=canada+WWII+jewish+refugee+ship&btnG=Google+Search).
- 2009. “The Whole Idea of Image and How You Are Perceived by Other People Was Important for the Averbachs,” EGA. Retrieved December 25, 2010 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/zaslov_09.html). .
- 1975. “The Effect of the Depression on the Jewish Community of Winnipeg,” (unpublished paper delivered to The Jewish Historical Society of Western Canada, Winnipeg, November 18, 1975). .