Goffman at Penn: Star Presence, Teacher-Mentor, Profaning Jester
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2013
© 2013 Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction. All rights reserved.
Special Issue: Erving Goffman
Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 87–107, February 2014
How to Cite
Delaney, M. (2014), Goffman at Penn: Star Presence, Teacher-Mentor, Profaning Jester. Symbolic Interaction, 37: 87–107. doi: 10.1002/symb.88
- Issue published online: 13 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2013
- 1972. “To Be a Phoenix — Reflections on Two Noisy Ages of Prose.” American Journal of Sociology 78:202–20. .
- 2009. “Erving Turned to Me and Said, ‘You Know, Elijah Anderson Is Really a Professional Sociologist, He Is Not a Professional Black.’” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/bershady_09.html).
- 2010. “Erving Goffman in Toronto, Chicago and London.” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/bott-spillius_10.html). .
- 1984. Permanence and Change. 3rd ed. Berkeley: University of California Press. .
- 2008. “Having Been Goffman's Student I Am Drawn to Voltaire's Dictum, ‘To the Living We Owe Respect, to the Dead We Owe Only the Truth.’” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/cavan_08.html). .
- 1970. “The Uncertain Triumph of Surrealism.” Unpublished class paper, University of Pennsylvania. EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//ega/documents/delaney_surrealism_70.pdf). .
- 1973. “Erving Goffman-Michael Delaney Exchange on Frame Analysis.” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//ega/documents/delaney_frame_73.pdf). .
- 2013. Two Goffman Seminars: Class Notes on Methods and Frameworks in the Study of Face-to-Face Interaction. Unpublished manuscript. .
- 2013. Encountering Goffman: An Intellectual Remembrance. Unpublished manuscript. .
- http://cdclv.unlv.edu//ega/index.html). See Shalin 2008–2012. . The Erving Goffman Archives Retrieved December 11, 2013 (
- 2009. “Goffman Turns to Me and Says, Only a Schmuck Studies His Own Life.” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/fine_09.html). .
- Fine, Gary Alan and W.H. Smith Gregory, (eds). 2000. Erving Goffman. London: Sage.
- 2008. “Erving Goffman Was a Brilliantly Imaginative, Original Sociologist and a Pathmaking Ethnographer, Who Had a Deep and Lasting Influence on the Students Who He Mentored in his Distinctively Challenging Way, and on the Discipline of Sociology to Whose Development He Was Fervently Committed.” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/fox_08.html).
- 2011. In the Field: A Sociologist's Journey. New Brunswick, NJ/London: Transaction Publishers.
- 2008. “I Don't Have Words Enough to Describe Goffman's Generosity.” EGA. .
- 1995. “Chicago's Two Worlds of Deviance Research: Which Side Are They On?.” Pp. 164–87 in A Second Chicago School?: The Development of a Postwar American Sociology, edited by G.A. Fine. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- 2008. “Losing Erv, I Recognized, Would Be a Severe Blow to the Department.” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/glock_08.html). .
- 1949. “Some Characteristics of Response to Depicted Experience.” Unpublished M.A. thesis, University of Chicago. .
- 1952. “On Cooling the Mark Out: Some Aspects of Adaptation to Failure.” Psychiatry 15:451–63. .
- 1963. Stigma: Notes on the Management of Spoiled Identity. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. .
- 1969. “Public Order” (class reading list). EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//ega/documents/eg_fall_69.pdf). .
- 1970. “The Ethnography of Symbolic Forms” (class reading list). EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//ega/documents/eg_fall_69.pdf). .
- 1971. Relations in Public: Microstudies of the Public Order. New York: Basic Books. .
- 1972. “Social Interaction” (class reading list). EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//ega/documents/eg_fall_69.pdf). .
- 1974. Frame Analysis: An Essay on the Organization of Experience. New York: Harper & Row. .
- 1977. “The Arrangement between the Sexes.” Theory and Society 4(3):301–32. .
- 1979. Gender Advertisements. New York: Harper & Row. .
- 1981. Forms of Talk. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. .
- 1983. “The Interaction Order.” American Sociological Review 48:1–17. .
- 1979. “Communication and Interaction: A Parallel in the Theoretical Outlooks of Erving Goffman and Ray Birdwhistell.” Communication 4(2):221–34.
- 2008. “As Goffman Was Talking about Remedial Interchanges, He Took a Glass of Water and Spilled It on Rosenberg's Lap.” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/heilman_08.html). .
- 1984. “On Erving Goffman.” Theory and Society 13:621–31. .
- 2008. “I Found Goffman Talented, Original, Rewarding to Read, but Basically Problematic.” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/lidz_08.html).
- 1992. “Working in Other Fields.” Pp. 165–89 in Authors of Their Own Lives: Intellectual Autobiographies by Twenty American Sociologists, edited by B.M. Berger. University of California Press. .
- 1992. Erving Goffman and Modern Sociology. Stanford: Stanford University Press. .
- 1984. “Role Models and Role Distance, A Remembrance of Erving Goffman.” Theory and Society 13:649–62.
- 2009. “Toward the End of the Party Erving Said to My Husband, ‘Why Are All These Smart People Doing Such Stupid Things?”’ EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/piliavin_09.html). .
- 2008–2012. Bios Sociologicus: The Erving Goffman Archives, edited by D. N. Shalin. UNLV: CDC Publications Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/publications/ega2.html). Further abbreviated as “EGA”. .
- 2009. “At the End of That First Year or So I Would Say That I Became as Close to Erving as Anyone Else in the Sociology Department.” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://www.unlv.edu/centers/cdclv/archives/interactionism/goffman/smelser_09.html). .
- 2006. Erving Goffman. London/New York: Routledge. .
- 1984. “Éléments pour une histoire sociale des sciences sociales Américaines: une chronique: entretien avec Erving Goffman.” Actes de la Recherche en Sciences Sociales 54:85–87. .
- 1999. “Erving Goffman: What is a Life? The Uneasy Making of an Intellectual Biography.” Pp. 19–41 in Goffman and Social Organization: Studies in a Sociological Legacy, edited by G. Smith. London/New York: Routledge. .
- 2008. “Studying with Erving Goffman.” EGA Retrieved December 11, 2013 (http://cdclv.unlv.edu//archives/interactionism/goffman/zerubavel_08.html). .