Phosphorylation of GluR1, ERK, and CREB during spontaneous withdrawal from chronic heroin self-administration
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 63, Issue 3, pages 224–235, March 2009
How to Cite
Edwards, S., Graham, D. L., Whisler, K. N. and Self, D. W. (2009), Phosphorylation of GluR1, ERK, and CREB during spontaneous withdrawal from chronic heroin self-administration. Synapse, 63: 224–235. doi: 10.1002/syn.20601
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAY 2008
- United States Public Health Service. Grant Numbers: DA 010460, DA 008227, DA 18743, DA 016472, DA 016857
- Wesley Gilliland Professorship in Biomedical Research (UTSW)
- 2003. Repeated exposures to heroin and/or cadmium alter the rate of formation of morphine glucuronides in the rat. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 307: 651–660. , , , , .
- 2006. Stimulation of mitogen-activated protein kinase kinases (MEK1/2) by μ-, δ- and κ-opioid receptor agonists in the rat brain: Regulation by chronic morphine and opioid withdrawal. Eur J Pharmacol 539: 49–56. , , .
- 1995. Increase of extracellular dopamine in the medial prefrontal cortex during spontaneous and naloxone-precipitated opiate abstinence. Psychopharmacology 122: 202–205. , , .
- 1995. Neurobiology of withdrawal motivation: Evidence for two separate aversive effects produced in morphine-naive versus morphine-dependent rats by both naloxone and spontaneous withdrawal. Behav Neurosci 109: 91–105. , , .
- 1981. Intracranial self-administration of morphine into the ventral tegmental area. Life Sci 28: 551–555. , .
- 1997. Sensitization to morphine induced by viral-mediated gene transfer. Science 277: 812–814. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Behavioral and molecular effects of dopamine D1 receptor stimulation during naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal. J Neurosci 26: 6450–6457. , , , , .
- 1991. Opioid receptor-coupled second messenger systems. Life Sci 48: 1991–2003. .
- 2002. Neural systems underlying opiate addiction. J Neurosci 22: 3321–3325. , .
- 1999. Lasting reduction in mesolimbic dopamine neuronal activity after morphine withdrawal. Eur J Neurosci 11: 1037–1041. , , , , .
- 1992. Effect of naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal on noradrenaline release in rat hippocampus in vivo. Eur J Pharmacol 215: 333–336. , , .
- 1988. Acute and chronic opiate-regulation of adenylate cyclase in brain: Specific effects in locus coeruleus. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 246: 1033–1039. , , .
- 2007a. Region-specific tolerance to cocaine-regulated cAMP-dependent protein phosphorylation following chronic self-administration. Eur J Neurosci 25: 2201–2213. , , , .
- 2007b. Addiction-related alterations in D1 and D2 dopamine receptor behavioral responses following chronic cocaine self-administration. Neuropsychopharmacology 32: 354–366. , , , , .
- 1999. Parallel modulation of receptor for activated C kinase 1 and protein kinase C-α and β isoforms in brains of morphine-treated rats. Br J Pharmacol 127: 343–348. , .
- 2003. PKA phosphorylation of AMPA receptor subunits controls synaptic trafficking underlying plasticity. Nat Neurosci 6: 136–143. , , , , , .
- 1996. Drugs of abuse and stress increase the expression of GluR1 and NMDAR1 glutamate receptor subunits in the rat ventral tegmental area: Common adaptations among cross-sensitizing agents. J Neurosci 16: 274–282. , , , .
- 2001. Chronic cocaine-mediated changes in non-human primate nucleus accumbens gene expression. J Neurochem 77: 542–549. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Neural correlates of the motivational and somatic components of naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal. Eur J Neurosci 16: 1377–1389. , , , , .
- 2002. Basolateral amygdala inactivation abolishes conditioned stimulus- and heroin-induced reinstatement of extinguished heroin-seeking behavior in rats. Psychopharmacology 160: 425–433. , .
- 2005. Increased AMPA GluR1 receptor subunit labeling on the plasma membrane of dendrites in the basolateral amygdala of rats self-administering morphine. Synapse 58: 1–12. , , , , .
- 1999. Extracellular-signal-regulated kinase signalling in neurons. Curr Opin Neurobiol 9: 544–553. , , .
- 2000. Calcium and cAMP signals differentially regulate cAMP-responsive element-binding protein function via a Rap1-extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathway. J Biol Chem 275: 34433–34441. , , , , , .
- 1994. Involvement of D2 dopamine receptors in the nucleus accumbens in the opiate withdrawal syndrome. Nature 371: 155–157. , .
- 1995. Suppression of corticotropin-releasing factor in the amygdala attenuates aversive consequences of morphine withdrawal. Behav Pharmacol 6: 74–80. , , , , .
- 2007. Long-term upregulation of protein kinase A and adenylate cyclase levels in human smokers. J Neurosci 27: 1964–1972. , , , .
- 1997. Effects of acute and chronic morphine on DOPAC and glutamate at subcortical DA terminals in awake rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 56: 363–371. , , , .
- 2001. The role of withdrawal in heroin addiction: Enhances reward or promotes avoidance? Nat Neurosci 4: 943–947. , , , .
- 1992. Opioids excite dopamine neurons by hyperpolarization of local interneurons. J Neurosci 12: 483–488. , .
- 1999. The role of the striatopallidal and extended amygdala systems in drug addiction. Ann NY Acad Sci 877: 445–460. .
- 2001. Drug addiction, dysregulation of reward, and allostasis. Neuropsychopharmacology 24: 97–129. , .
- 2007. Heroin-induced reinstatement is specific to compulsive heroin use and dissociable from heroin reward and sensitization. Neuropsychopharmacology 32: 616–624. , .
- 2003. Molecular neuroadaptations in the accumbens and ventral tegmental area during the first 90 days of forced abstinence from cocaine self-administration in rats. J Neurochem 85: 1604–1613. , , , .
- 2005. Central amygdala ERK signaling pathway is critical to incubation of cocaine craving. Nat Neurosci 8: 212–219. , , , , , .
- 1997. Phosphorylation of the alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methylisoxazole4-propionic acid receptor GluR1 subunit by calcium/calmodulin-dependent kinase II. J Biol Chem 272: 32528–32533. , , , .
- 1999. Presynaptic regulation of glutamate release in the ventral tegmental area during morphine withdrawal. J Neurosci 19: 6629–6636. , .
- 2005. Cocaine-induced CREB phosphorylation in nucleus accumbens of cocaine-sensitized rats is enabled by enhanced activation of extracellular signal-related kinase, but not protein kinase A. J Neurochem 95: 1481–1494. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The disposition of morphine and its 3- and 6-glucuronide metabolites in humans and animals, and the importance of the metabolites to the pharmacological effects of morphine. Drug Metab Rev 28: 345–472. , , .
- 2007. Morphine administration alters the profile of hippocampal postsynaptic density-associated proteins: A proteomics study focusing on endocytic proteins. Mol Cell Proteomics 6: 29–42. , , , , , .
- 2003. Rap1 couples cAMP signaling to a distinct pool of p42/44MAPK regulating excitability, synaptic plasticity, learning, and memory. Neuron 39: 309–325. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Molecular and cellular basis of addiction. Science 278: 58–63. , .
- 1988. Chronic morphine treatment increases cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase activity in the rat locus coeruleus. Mol Pharmacol 33: 127–132. , .
- 2004. Focused microwave irradiation of the brain preserves in vivo protein phosphorylation: Comparison with other methods of sacrifice and analysis of multiple phosphoproteins. J Neurosci Meth 135: 159–168. , .
- 1982. Reinforcing effects of morphine in the nucleus accumbens. Brain Res 237: 429–440. .
- 1998. The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates, 4th ed. New York: Academic Press. , .
- 1991. Dopamine microdialysis in the nucleus accumbens during acute and chronic morphine, naloxone-precipitated withdrawal and clonidine treatment. Brain Res 566: 348–350. , , , .
- 2002. Hippocampal long-term potentiation is reduced by chronic opiate treatment and can be restored by re-exposure to opiates. J Neurosci 22: 1914–1921. , , , , .
- 1996. Morphine and naloxone, ip or locally, affect extracellular acetylcholine in the accumbens and prefrontal cortex. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 53: 809–816. , , , .
- 1993. The neural basis of drug craving: An incentive-sensitization theory of addiction. Brain Res Rev 18: 247–291. , .
- 1992. Marked inhibition of mesolimbic dopamine release: A common feature of ethanol, morphine, cocaine and amphetamine abstinence in rats. Eur J Pharmacol 221: 227–234. , , .
- 2004. Regulation of drug-taking and -seeking behaviors by neuroadaptations in the mesolimbic dopamine system. Neuropharmacology 47: 242–255. .
- 1995. Molecular mechanisms of drug reinforcement and addiction. Ann Rev Neurosci 18: 463–495. , .
- 1998. Involvement of cAMP-dependent protein kinase in the nucleus accumbens in cocaine self-administration and relapse of cocaine-seeking behavior. J Neurosci 18: 1848–1859. , , , , , .
- 1995. Biochemical adaptations in the mesolimbic dopamine system in response to heroin self-administration. Synapse 21: 312–318. , , , , .
- 1997. Corticotropin-releasing factor in stress-induced relapse to heroin-seeking in rats. J Neurosci 17: 2605–2614. , , , , , .
- 1996. Relapse to heroin-seeking in rats under opioid maintenance: The effects of stress, heroin priming, and withdrawal. J Neurosci 16: 1957–1963. , , .
- 2002. Regional and cellular mapping of cAMP response element-mediated transcription during naltrexone-precipitated morphine withdrawal. J Neurosci 22: 3663–3672. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Identification and characterization of a 3′,5′-cyclic adenosine monophosphate-responsive element in the human corticotropin-releasing hormone gene promoter. Mol Endocrinol 6: 1931–1941. , , , .
- 1991. Hippocampal mu-receptors mediate opioid reinforcement in the CA3 region. Brain Res 545: 8–16. , , .
- 1998. A comparison of the effects of clonidine and CNQX infusion into the locus coeruleus and the amygdala on naloxone-precipitated opiate withdrawal in the rat. Psychopharmacology 138: 133–142. , , .
- 1991. A general role for adaptations in G-proteins and the cyclic AMP system in mediating the chronic actions of morphine and cocaine on neuronal function. Brain Res 548: 100–110. , , , , .
- 2004. MAPK cascade signalling and synaptic plasticity. Nat Rev Neurosci 5: 173–183. , .
- 2001. Morphine-6beta-glucuronide and morphine-3-glucuronide, opioid receptor agonists with different potencies. Biochem Pharmacol 62: 1273–1282. , , , , .
- 1996. Protein kinases in the rat nucleus accumbens are involved in the aversive component of opiate withdrawal. Eur J Neurosci 8: 2671–2678. , , , , .
- 1997. Modulation of immunoreactive protein kinase C-α and β isoforms and G proteins by acute and chronic treatments with morphine and other opiate drugs in rat brain. Naunyn Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 355: 491–500. , , .
- 2001. The cAMP-protein kinase A signal transduction pathway modulates ethanol consumption and sedative effects of ethanol. J Neurosci 21: 5297–5303. , , , , .
- 1988. Phosphorylation-induced binding and transcriptional efficacy of nuclear factor CREB. Nature 334: 494–498. , , , .
- 2001. cAMP-dependent protein kinase induces cAMP-response element-binding protein phosphorylation via an intracellular calcium release/ERK-dependent pathway in striatal neurons. J Biol Chem 276: 11487–11495. , , , , , .