Hippocampal LTP triggers proteasome-mediated SPAR degradation in CA1 neurons
Article first published online: 3 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 66, Issue 2, pages 142–150, February 2012
How to Cite
Chen, Y., Yuanxiang, P., Knöpfel, T., Thomas, U. and Behnisch, T. (2012), Hippocampal LTP triggers proteasome-mediated SPAR degradation in CA1 neurons. Synapse, 66: 142–150. doi: 10.1002/syn.20994
- Issue published online: 7 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 3 NOV 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 10 OCT 2011 07:38AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUL 2011
- NSFC. Grant Numbers: 30870795, 30970920
- Doctoral fund. Grant Number: 20080246007
- Scientific Innovation Projects from Fudan Univ, IfN-Special project
- 2004. Imaging of gene expression during long-term potentiation. Neuroreport 15: 2039–2043. , , .
- 1993. A synaptic model of memory: Long-term potentiation in the hippocampus. Nature 361: 31–39. , .
- 2007. Dendritic mRNA: Transport, translation and function. Nat Rev Neurosci 8: 776–789. , .
- 2010. Protein degradation by the proteasome is required for synaptic tagging and the heterosynaptic stabilization of hippocampal late-phase long-term potentiation. Neuroscience 169: 1520–1526. , , , .
- 1997. Lactacystin and clasto-lactacystin beta-lactone modify multiple proteasome beta-subunits and inhibit intracellular protein degradation and major histocompatibility complex class I antigen presentation. J Biol Chem 272: 13437–13445. , , , , , , .
- 1987. A critical level of protein synthesis is required for long-term potentiation. Synapse 1: 90–95. , , .
- 2009. Long-range retrograde spread of LTP and LTD from optic tectum to retina. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 106: 18890–18896. , , , , .
- 2003. Activity level controls postsynaptic composition and signaling via the ubiquitin-proteasome system. Nat Neurosci 6: 231–242. .
- 1999. Recombinant Semliki Forest virus and Sindbis virus efficiently infect neurons in hippocampal slice cultures. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 7041–7046. , , , , , .
- 2000. A synthetic peptide ligand of neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) IgI domain prevents NCAM internalization and disrupts passive avoidance learning. J Neurochem 74: 2607–2613. , , , , , , .
- 2006. A balance of protein synthesis and proteasome-dependent degradation determines the maintenance of LTP. Neuron 52: 239–245. , , , , .
- 2008. Synaptic tagging and cross-tagging and related associative reinforcement processes of functional plasticity as the cellular basis for memory formation. Prog Brain Res 169: 117–143. , .
- 1996. Influence of actinomycin D, a RNA synthesis inhibitor, on long-term potentiation in rat hippocampal neurons in vivo and in vitro. J Physiol 490(Part 3): 703–711. , , , .
- 1988. Anisomycin, an inhibitor of protein synthesis, blocks late phases of LTP phenomena in the hippocampal CA1 region in vitro. Brain Res 452: 57–65. , , , .
- 2004. Ubiquitin-proteasome-mediated local protein degradation and synaptic plasticity. Prog Neurobiol 73: 311–357. .
- 2008. The role of protein synthesis in memory consolidation: Progress amid decades of debate. Neurobiol Learn Mem 89: 293–311. , .
- 2002. High frequency stimulation-induced dendritic calcium waves in rat hippocampal neurons. Neurosci Lett 335: 103–106. , , .
- 2010. An essential postsynaptic role for the ubiquitin proteasome system in slow homeostatic synaptic plasticity in cultured hippocampal neurons. Neuroscience 171: 1016–1031. , , , , .
- 1998. Mutation of the Angelman ubiquitin ligase in mice causes increased cytoplasmic p53 and deficits of contextual learning and long-term potentiation. Neuron 21: 799–811. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Involvement of protein synthesis and degradation in long-term potentiation of schaffer collateral CA1 synapses. J Neurosci 26: 4949–4955. , , , , .
- 1999. The polo-like protein kinases Fnk and Snk associate with a Ca(2+)- and integrin-binding protein and are regulated dynamically with synaptic plasticity. EMBO J 18: 5528–5539. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Dynamic actin filaments are required for stable long-term potentiation (LTP) in area CA1 of the hippocampus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 6856–6861. , , .
- 2005. Single cell analysis of activity-dependent cyclic AMP-responsive element-binding protein phosphorylation during long-lasting long-term potentiation in area CA1 of mature rat hippocampal-organotypic cultures. Neuroscience 131: 601–610. , , .
- 2003. LTP in cultured hippocampal-entorhinal cortex slices from young adult (P25–30) rats. J Neurosci Methods 130: 19–32. , , .
- 2001. The ubiquitin-proteasome cascade is required for mammalian long-term memory formation. Eur J Neurosci 14: 1820–1826. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Hippocampal spine-associated Rap-specific GTPase-activating protein induces enhancement of learning and memory in postnatally hypoxia-exposed mice. Neuroscience 162: 404–414. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Long-term potentiation—A decade of progress? Science 285: 1870–1874. , .
- 1989. Inhibition of postsynaptic PKC or CaMKII blocks induction but not expression of LTP. Science 245: 862–866. , , .
- 1990. Different mechanisms and multiple stages of LTP. Adv Exp Med Biol 268: 359–368. , , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of anisomycin on LTP in the hippocampal CA1: Long-term analysis using optical recording. Neuroreport 12: 987–991. , , , , , .
- 2003. Targeted protein degradation and synapse remodeling by an inducible protein kinase. Science 302: 1368–1373. , .
- 2001. Regulation of dendritic spine morphology by SPAR, a PSD-95-associated RapGAP. Neuron 31: 289–303. , , , , .
- 2005. Homeostatic plasticity and NMDA receptor trafficking. Trends Neurosci 28: 229–238. , .
- 2007. The EphA4 receptor regulates neuronal morphology through SPAR-mediated inactivation of Rap GTPases. J Neurosci 27: 14205–14215. , , , , .
- 1999. The mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade couples PKA and PKC to cAMP response element binding protein phosphorylation in area CA1 of hippocampus. J Neurosci 19: 4337–4348. , , , , , .
- 2008. Critical role of CDK5 and Polo-like kinase 2 in homeostatic synaptic plasticity during elevated activity. Neuron 58: 571–583. , , , , .
- 2005. Polo-like kinases in the nervous system. Oncogene 24: 292–298. , , .
- 2008. Activity-induced Polo-like kinase 2 is required for homeostatic plasticity of hippocampal neurons during epileptiform activity. J Neurosci 28: 6583–6591. , .
- 2010. RapGAPs in brain: Multipurpose players in neuronal Rap signalling. Eur J Neurosci 32: 1–9. , .
- 1984. Blockade of long-term potentiation in rat hippocampal CA1 region by inhibitors of protein synthesis. J Neurosci 4: 3080–3088. , .
- 2007. Emerging roles for ubiquitin and protein degradation in neuronal function. Pharmacol Rev 59: 14–39. , .