Transient increases in dendritic spine density contribute to dentate gyrus long-term potentiation
Version of Record online: 28 FEB 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 66, Issue 7, pages 661–664, July 2012
How to Cite
Wosiski-Kuhn, M. and Stranahan, A. M. (2012), Transient increases in dendritic spine density contribute to dentate gyrus long-term potentiation. Synapse, 66: 661–664. doi: 10.1002/syn.21545
- Issue online: 11 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 28 FEB 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 8 FEB 2012 02:09AM EST
- Manuscript Received: 2 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JAN 2011
- Georgia Health Sciences University
- 2011. Coordination of size and number of excitatory and inhibitory synapses results in a balanced structural plasticity along mature hippocampal CA1 dendrites during LTP. Hippocampus 21: 354–373. , .
- 2003. Timing of neuronal and glial ultrastructure disruption during brain slice preparation and recovery in vitro. J Comp Neurol 465: 90–103. , , , , , , .
- 1977. Long-lasting morphological changes in dendritic spines of dentate granular cells following stimulation of the entorhinal area. J Neurocytol 6: 211–230. , .
- 1982. Effect of anisomycin on stimulation-induced changes in dendritic spines of the dentate granule cells. J Neurocytol 11: 183–210. , , , .
- 2008. Activation of exchange protein activated by cyclic-AMP enhances long-lasting synaptic potentiation in the hippocampus. Learn Mem 15: 403–411. , , , , , .
- 2011. Glutamate induces de novo growth of functional spines in developing cortex. Nature 474: 100–104. , .
- 2006. Integrin-driven actin polymerization consolidates long-term potentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 5579–5584. , , , , .
- 2002. Postsynaptic Induction of BDNF-Mediated Long-Term Potentiation. Science 295: 1729–1734. , , , .
- 2003. Associative memory formation increases the observation of dendritic spines in the hippocampus. J Neurosci 23: 659–665. , , .
- 1996. A macromolecular synthesis-dependent late phase of long-term potentiation requiring cAMP in the medial perforant pathway of rat hippocampal slices. J Neurosci 16: 3189–3198. , .
- 2004. Remodelling of synaptic morphology but unchanged synaptic density during late phase long-term potentiation (LTP): A serial section electron micrograph study in the dentate gyrus in the anaesthetised rat. Neuroscience 128: 251–262. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Interfering with the actin network and its effect on long-term potentiation and synaptic tagging in hippocampal CA1 neurons in slices in vitro. J Neurosci 29: 12167–12173. , .
- 2008. Distinct single but not necessarily repeated tetanization is required to induce hippocampal late-LTP in the rat CA1. Learn Mem 15: 46–49. , , .
- 2006. Ablation of hippocampal neurogenesis impairs contextual fear conditioning and synaptic plasticity in the dentate gyrus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 17501–17506. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Re-structuring of synapses 24 hours after induction of long-term potentiation in the dentate gyrus of the rat hippocampus in vivo. Neuroscience 100: 221–227. , , , , .
- 2007. Running induces widespread structural alterations in the hippocampus and entorhinal cortex. Hippocampus 17: 1017–1022. , , .
- 2008. Diabetes impairs hippocampal function through glucocorticoid-mediated effects on new and mature neurons. Nat Neurosci 11: 309–317. , , , , , .
- 2010. Mineralocorticoid receptor activation restores medial perforant path LTP in diabetic rats. Synapse 64: 528–532. , , , .
- 1996. Long-term potentiation is associated with new excitatory spine synapses on rat dentate granule cells. Learn Mem 3: 218–228. , , .