Temporal changes in N-acylethanolamine content and metabolism throughout the peri-adolescent period
Article first published online: 4 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 67, Issue 1, pages 4–10, January 2013
How to Cite
Lee, T. T.-Y., Hill, M. N., Hillard, C. J. and Gorzalka, B. B. (2013), Temporal changes in N-acylethanolamine content and metabolism throughout the peri-adolescent period. Synapse, 67: 4–10. doi: 10.1002/syn.21609
- Issue published online: 27 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 4 OCT 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 14 SEP 2012 06:57AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 MAY 2012
- Canadian Institutes for Health Sciences (CIHR)
- Canadian Consortium for the Investigation of Cannabinoids (CCIC)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: DA09155, DA026996
- Research and Education Initiative Fund, a component of the Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin endowment at the Medical College of Wisconsin to CJH
- 2008. Enzymatic pathways that regulate endo-cannabinoid signaling in the nervous system. Chem Rev 108: 1687–1707. , , .
- 1999. Analysis of cannabinoid receptor binding and mRNA expression and endogenous cannabinoid contents in the developing rat brain during late gestation and early postnatal period. Synapse 33: 181–191. , , , , .
- 2011. Braking and accelerating of the adolescent brain. J Res Adolesc 21: 21–33. , , .
- 2004. Reduced cellular expression and activity of the P129T mutant of human fatty acid amide hydrolase: Evidence for a link between defects in the endocannabinoid system and problem drug use. Hum Mol Genet 13: 2113–2119. , , , .
- 2009. An introduction to the endocannabinoid system: From the early to the latest concepts. Best Pract Res. Clin Endocrinol Metab 23: 1–15. , .
- 2011. Endocannabinoid signaling in the brain: Biosynthetic mechanisms in the limelight. Nat Neurosci 14: 9–15. .
- 2008. Dynamic changes of the endogenous cannabinoid and opioid mesocorticolimbic systems during adolescence: THC effects. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18: 826–834. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Oleylethanolamide regulates feeding and body weight through activation of the nuclear receptor PPAR-alpha. Nature 425: 90–93. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Dynamic mapping of human cortical development during childhood through early adulthood. Proc Natl Acad Sci 101: 8174–8179. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Dynamic mapping of normal human hippocampal development. Hippocampus 16: 664–672. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Palmitoylethanolamide and other anandamide congeners. Proposed role in the diseased brain. Exp Neurol 224: 48–55. .
- 2009. Divergent effects of genetic variation in endocannabinoid signaling on human threat- and reward-related brain function. Biol Psychiatr 66: 9–16. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Endocannabinoid functions controlling neuronal specification during brain development. Mol Cell Endocrinol 286: S84–S90. , , , .
- 2012. Endocannabinoid signaling, glucocorticoid-mediated negative feedback, and regulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Neuroscience 204: 5–16. , .
- 2007. Estrogen recruits the endocannabinoid system to modulate emotionality. Psychoneuroendocrinology 32: 350–357. , , .
- 2010. Rapid elevations in limbic endocannabinoid content by glucocorticoid hormones in vivo. Psychoneuroendocrinology 35: 1333–1338. , , , .
- Disruption of fatty acid amide hydrolase activity prevents the effects of chronic stress on anxiety and amygdalar microstructure. Mol Psychiatr (in press). , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Characterization of the kinetics and distribution of N-arachidonylethanolamine (anandamide) hydrolysis by rat brain. Biochim Biophys Acta 1257: 249–256. , , , .
- 2000. Cellular signal transduction by anandamide and 2-arachidonoylglycerol. Chem Phys Lipids 108: 53–70. , .
- 2003. Modulation of anxiety through blockade of anandamide hydrolysis. Nat Med 9: 76–81. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Inhibition of endocannabinoid catabolic enzymes elicits anxiolytic-like effects in the marble burying assay. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 98: 21–27. , , , , .
- 2012. Timing is everything: Evidence for a role of corticolimbic endocannabinoids in modulating hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity across developmental periods. Neuroscience 204: 17–30. , .
- 2006. Inactivation of N-acyl phosphatidylethanolamine phospholipase D reveals multiple mechanisms for the biosynthesis of endocannabinoids. Biochemistry 45: 4720–4726. , , , .
- 2005. The nuclear receptor peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha mediates the anti-inflammatory actions of palmitoylethanolamide. Mol Pharmacol 67: 15–19. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Down-regulation of anandamide hydrolase in mouse uterus by sex hormones. Eur J Biochem 267: 2991–2997. , , , , , .
- 2007. Endocannabinoid hedonic hotspot for sensory pleasure: Anandamide in nucleus accumbens shell enhances ‘liking’ of a sweet reward. Neuropsychopharmacology 32: 2267–2278. , , .
- 2010. Investigations of HPA function and the enduring consequences of stressors in adolescence in animal models. Brain Cogn 72: 73–85. , , , .
- 2000. Age dependent accumulation of N-acyl-ethanolamine phospholipids in ischemic rat brain. A (31)P NMR and enzyme activity study. J Lipid Res 41: 985–990. , , , .
- 2012. Cannabinoid type 1 receptors and transient receptor potential vanilloid type 1 channels in fear and anxiety-two sides of one coin? Neuroscience 204: 186–192. , , , , .
- 2005. Regional distribution and age-dependent expression of N-acylphosphatidylethanolamine-hydrolyzing phospholipase D in rat brain. J Neurochem 94: 753–762. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Arachidonoyl ethanolamide-[1,2-14C] as a substrate for anandamide amidase. Life Sci 56: 1999–2005. , , , , , .
- 2006. Deorphanization of a G protein-coupled receptor for oleoylethanolamide and its use in the discovery of small-molecule hypophagic agents. Cell Metab 3: 167–175. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Differential regulation of the endocannabinoids anandamide and 2-arachidonylglycerol within the limbic forebrain by dopamine receptor activity. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 306: 880–888. , , .
- 2005. The postmortal accumulation of brain N-arachidonylethanolamine (anandamide) is dependent upon fatty acid amide hydrolase activity. J Lipid Res 46: 342–349. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Effects of the cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist rimonabant on distinct measures of impulsive behavior in rats. Psychopharmacology 193: 85–96. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Selective early-acquired fear memories undergo temporary suppression during adolescence. Proc Natl Acad Sci 108: 1182–1187. , , , , .
- 2010. Adolescence: A central event in shaping stress reactivity. Dev Psychobiol 52: 244–253. .
- 2004. Testosterone cannot activate an adult-like stress response in prepubertal male rats. Neuroendocrinology 79: 125–132. , , , , .
- 2006. Stress history and pubertal development interact to shape hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis plasticity. Endocrinology 147: 1664–1674. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Preservation of striatal cannabinoid CB1 receptor function correlates with the antianxiety effects of fatty acid amide hydrolase inhibition. Mol Pharmacol 78: 260–268. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The effect of anandamide on prolactin secretion is modulated by estrogen. Proc Natl Acad Sci 100: 2134–2139. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Biomarkers of endocannabinoid system activation in severe obesity. PLoS One 5: e8792. , , , , , , .
- 2008. The endocannabinoid system in brain reward processes. Br J Pharmacol 154: 369–383. , , .
- 2000. The adolescent brain and age-related behavioral manifestations. Neurosci Behav Rev 24: 417–463. .
- 1983. Periadolescence: Age-dependent behavior and psychopharmacological responsivity in rats. Dev Psychobiol 16: 83–109. , .
- 1997. Fatty acid amide hydrolase, the degradative enzyme for anandamide and oleamide, has selective distribution in neurons within the rat central nervous system. J Neurosci Res 50: 1047–1052. , , , .
- 2010. Enzymological studies on the biosynthesis of N-acylethanolamines. Biochim Biophys Acta 1801: 1274–1285. , , .
- 1988. The effect of chronic prepubertal administration of marihuana (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) on the onset of puberty and the postpubertal reproductive functions in female rats. Biol Reprod 39: 540–545. , , .
- 2002. The hypothalamic levels of the endocannabinoid, anandamide, peak immediately before the onset of puberty in female rats. Life Sci 70: 1407–1414. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Cannabinoid CB1 receptor activation mediates the opposing effects of amphetamine on impulsive action and impulsive choice. PLoS One 6: e25856. , , , , .
- 2011. Effects of endocannabinoid system modulation on cognitive and emotional behavior. Front Behav Neurosci 5: 57. , , , , , .