A.R. and M.E.C. contributed equally to this work.
The effects of age and ganglioside composition on the rate of motor nerve terminal regeneration following antibody-mediated injury in mice
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 67, Issue 7, pages 382–389, July 2013
How to Cite
Rupp, A., Cunningham, M. E., Yao, D., Furukawa, K. and Willison, H. J. (2013), The effects of age and ganglioside composition on the rate of motor nerve terminal regeneration following antibody-mediated injury in mice. Synapse, 67: 382–389. doi: 10.1002/syn.21648
Parts of these investigations were presented as a poster at the PNS/Inflammatory Neuropathy Consortium Meeting in Rotterdam, 2012.
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 11 FEB 2013 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 OCT 2012
- Wellcome Trust. Grant Number: WT092805
- University of Glasgow Postgraduate Fund, Baxter/Peripheral Nerve Society Fellowship Award, Medical Research Council (MC) Doctoral Training Account, Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Innovative Areas from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sport, Science and Technology of Japan
- 2000. A functional role for complex gangliosides: Motor deficits in GM2/GD2 synthase knockout mice. Exp Neurol 166:227–234. , , , .
- 1985. Ganglioside GM1 does not initiate, but enhances neurite regeration of nerve growth factor-dependent sensory neurones. J Neurochem 44:1259–1265. , , , .
- 2002. GM1 ganglioside induces phosphorylation and activation of Trk and Erk in brain. J Neurochem 81:696–707. , , , , .
- 2006. Clinical and electrophysiological predictors of respiratory failure in Guillain-Barre syndrome: A prospective study. Lancet Neurol 5:1021–1028. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Imaging neuronal subsets in transgenic mice expressing multiple spectral variants of GFP. Neuron 28:41–51. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Overexpression of GD1a ganglioside sensitizes motor nerve terminals to anti-GD1a antibody-mediated injury in a model of acute motor axonal neuropathy. J Neurosci 25:1620–1628. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Monoclonal antibodies raised against Guillain-Barre syndrome-associated Campylobacter jejuni lipopolysaccharides react with neuronal gangliosides and paralyze muscle-nerve preparations. J Clin Invest 104:697–708. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005a. Complement inhibition abrogates nerve terminal injury in Miller Fisher syndrome. Ann Neurol 58:203–210. , , , , , .
- 2005b. Anti-disialosyl antibodies mediate selective neuronal or Schwann cell injury at mouse neuromuscular junctions. Glia 52:177–189. , , , , , , .
- 1971. Composition of gangliosides and phospholipids of neuronal and glial cell enriched fractions. J Neurochem 18:1821–1829. , .
- 1986. Effect of age and muscle type on regeneration of neuromuscular synapses in mice. Brain Res 372:163–166. , , .
- 2001. Specificity of carbohydrate structures of gangliosides in the activity to regenerate the rat axotomized hypoglossal nerve. Glycobiology 11:125–130. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Immunoglobulins inhibit pathophysiological effects of anti-GQ1b-positive sera at motor nerve terminal through inhibition of antibody binding. Brain 126:2220–2234. , , , , , .
- 2001. Mice expressing only monosialoganglioside GM3 exhibit lethal audiogenic seizures. J Biol Chem 276:6885–6888. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Impaired hypoglossal nerve regeneration in mutant mice lacking complex gangliosides: down-regulation of neurotrophic factors and receptors as possible mechanisms. Glycobiology 18:509–516. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Passive immunization with anti-ganglioside antibodies directly inhibits axon regeneration in an animal model. J Neurosci 27:27–34. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. A genetic model of substrate deprivation therapy for a glycosphingolipid storage disorder. J Clin Invest 103:497–505. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Schwann cells proliferate at rat neuromuscular junctions during development and regeneration. J Neurosci 18:9376–9385. , .
- 2010. Anti-GD1a antibodies activate complement and calpain to injure distal motor nodes of Ranvier in mice. Brain 133:1944–1960. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Anti-GQ1b ganglioside antibodies mediate complement-dependent destruction of the motor nerve terminal. Brain 124:893–906. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. b-series ganglioside deficiency exhibits no definite changes in the neurogenesis and the sensitivity to Fas-mediated apoptosis but impairs regeneration of the lesioned hypoglossal nerve. J Biol Chem 277:1633–1636. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1968. Topographical differences in vascular permeability of peripheral nervous system. Acta Neuropathol 10:26–33. .
- 1980. Effects of aging on nerve sprouting and regeneration. Exp Neurol 70:65–82. , , .
- 2009. Pathophysiological actions of neuropathy-related anti-ganglioside antibodies at the neuromuscular junction. J Physiol 587:3979–3999. , .
- 2012. Outcome and its predictors in Guillain-Barré syndrome. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 83:711–718. , .
- 1992. Terminal Schwann cells elaborate extensive processes following denervation of motor endplate. J Neurocytol 21:50–66. , .
- 1990. Motor nerve terminal restoration after focal destruction in young and old mice. Int J Dev Neurosci 8:667–678. , , , .
- 2012. Motor nerve terminal destruction and regeneration following anti-ganglioside antibody and complement-mediated injury: An in and ex vivo imaging study in the mouse. Exp Neurol 233:836–848. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Changes in the neuromuscular synapse induced by an antibody against gangliosides. Ann Neurol 57:396–407. , , , , , .
- 2004. An anti-ganglioside antibody-secreting hybridoma induces neuropathy in mice. Ann Neurol 56:228–239. , , , , .
- 1995. Schwann cell processes guide regeneration of peripheral axons. Neuron 14:125–132. , .
- 1996. Schwann cells induce and guide sprouting and reinnervation of neuromuscular junctions. Trends Neurosci 7:280–285. , , .
- 2005. Sensory nerve-dominant nerve degeneration and remodeling in the mutant mice lacking complex gangliosides. Neuroscience 135:1167–1178. , , , , , .
- 2007. Gangliosides contribute to stability of paranodal junctions and ion channel clusters in myelinated nerve fibers. Glia 55:746–757. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1963. Chromatographic separation of human brain gangliosides. J Neurochem 10:613–623. .
- 1996. Mice with disrupted GM2/GD2 synthase gene lack complex gangliosides but exhibit only subtle defects in their nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93:10662–10667. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Infections and course of disease in mild forms of Guillain-Barre syndrome. Neurology 58:610–614. , , , , , , .
- 2007. A clinical prognostic scoring system for Guillain Barré syndrome. Lancet Neurol 6:589–594. , , , , , .
- 1995. The effect of aging on efferent nerve fibers regeneration in mice. Brain Res 696:76–82. , , .
- 2011. Early recognition of poor prognosis in Guillain-Barré syndrome. Neurology 76:968–975. , , , , , .
- 2011. Structures, biosynthesis, and functions of gangliosides—An overview. J Oleo Sci 60:537–544. , , , .
- 2012. Guillain-Barré syndrome. N Engl J Med 366:2294–2304. , .
- 1992. Gangliosides as modulators of cell function. Am J Physiol 262:C1341–C1355. , .
- 2008. Neuromuscular synaptic function in mice lacking major subsets of gangliosides. Neuroscience 156:885–897. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Neuromuscular synaptic transmission in aged ganglioside-deficient mice. Neurobiol Aging 32:157–167. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Fluorescent proteins expressed in mouse transgenic lines mark subsets of glia, neurons, macrophages, and dendritic cells for vital examination. J Neurosci 24:10999–11009. , , , , , , , , , , .