This work was done as a private venture and not in the author's capacity as an employee of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology.
Systems Integration: Key Perspectives, Experiences, and Challenges
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 37–51, Spring 2014
How to Cite
Madni, A. M. and Sievers, M. (2014), Systems Integration: Key Perspectives, Experiences, and Challenges. Syst. Engin., 17: 37–51. doi: 10.1002/sys.21249
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 29 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 JUL 2012
- The Systems Integration Problem,” International Journal of Geographical Information Systems, 8:1, 1–12. 1994. , , and , “
- Advisor 3.5 User's Guide, BNH Expert Software, 2000.
- Alion Science and Technology, Boulder, CO, IMPRINT Pro user guide, Version 3.0, Volume 2, March 2009.
- Simulating humans, Computer graphics, animation and control, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1993. , , and and ,
- The new competitive advantage: The renewal of American industry, Oxford, University Catalogue Press, 2001. ,
- Integration of heterogeneous engineering environments for the automation systems lifecycle, 7th IEEE Int Conf Indust Inform, INDIN 2009, 2009, pp. 576–581. , , and ,
- Concept bases: A support to information systems integration,” in Wijers, G., Brinkkemper, S., Wasserman, T. (Eds.), Advanced Information Systems Engineering, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 811, Springer, New York, 1994, pp. 242–255. and , “
- H.R. Booher (Editor), Handbook of human systems integration, Wiley Online Laboratory, Hoboken, NJ, 2003.
- Value-centric design methodologies for fractionated spacecraft: AIAA SPACE Conference, 2009. , , and ,
- Applying the design structure matrix to system decomposition and integration problems: A review and new directions, IEEE Trans Eng Management 48(3) (2001). ,
- Agent-based plug-and-play integration of role-enabled medical devices, Joint Workshop High Confidence Med Devices Software Syst Med Device Plug-and-Play Interoperability, HCMDSS-MDPnP, June 2007, pp. 25–27. ,
- Architectures for enterprise integration and interoperability: Past, present and future, Comput Indust 59(7) (2008), 647–659. , , and ,
- Integration of legacy systems in software architecture, SAVCBS 2004 Specification and Verification of Component-Based Systems 110. and ,
- Enterprise integration: An architecture for enterprise application and systems engineering, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2002. ,
- Improving the composability of Department of Defense models and simulations, The Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation: Applications, Methodology, and Technology, 1.1 (2004), 5–17. and ,
- Survey of Human-Systems Integration (HSI) tools for USCG acquisition, Report No. CG-D-04-09, US Coast Guard, US Department of Homeland Security, Washington, DC, April 2009. , , , and ,
- Enterprise information integration: Successes, challenges and controversies, Proc 2005 ACM SIGMOD Int Conf Management Data, SIGMOD ’05, 2005, pp. 778–787. , , , , , , , and ,
- Systems integration: A core capability of the modern corporation, Indust Corp Change 14(6) (2005), 1109–1143. , , and ,
- Platform-based embedded software design and system integration for autonomous vehicles, Proc IEEE 91(1) (2003), 198–211. , , , , , and ,
- Model-based verification and validation of spacecraft avionics, Proceedings of the AIAA Infotech@Aerospace Conf, 2012. , , and ,
- Investigations: Air France 296, AirDisaster.com, June 22, 2006. ,
- Systems of systems as communicating structures, Hewlett Packard Laboratories, 1997. ,
- Behind the wizard's curtain: An integration environment for a system of systems, CCRP, July 1999. ,
- Enterprise integration with ERP and EAI, Commun ACM 46(2) (2003), 54–60. , , and ,
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3842, 2006, pp. 590–594. , , , and , “AGrIP: An agent grid intelligent platform for distributed system integration,” in Advanced Web and Network Technologies and Applications,
- Integrating humans with software and systems: Technical challenges and a research agenda, Syst Eng 13(3) (2010), 232–245. ,
- Integrating humans with and within software and systems: Challenges and opportunities (Invited Paper), Cross-Talk J Defense Software Eng (May/June 2011), “People Solutions.” ,
- Adaptable platform-based engineering: Key enablers and outlook for the future, Syst Eng 15(1) (2012a), 97–107. ,
- Elegant systems design: Creative fusion of simplicity and power, Syst Eng 15(3) (2012b). ,
- Affordable, adaptive and effective: The case for engineering resilient systems, Invited Provocative Talk, Workshop Resilient Syst, Keck Institute for Space Studies, 2012c. ,
- Towards a conceptual framework for resilience engineering, Systems Journal, IEEE, 3(2), 181–191. and ,
- The art of systems architecting, 3rd edition, CRC Press, 2002, Boca Raton, FL, 2009. and ,
- The role of ontology in system-of-systems acquisition, Proc 2006 Command Control Res Technol Symp, San Diego, CA, June 20–22, 2006. and ,
- Human supervisory control issues in network centric warfare, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Human and Automation Laboratory, Cambridge, MA, 2004. , , and ,
- Model-based design for system integration, Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association, 2011, Conf Des, 2005. , , and ,
- NASA System Engineering Handbook, DIANE Publishing, 2010.
- Toward a systemic formalization of interoperability, Comput Indust 61 (2010), 176–185. , , , and ,
- The challenges of engineering in the 21st century, Collaboration Technologies and Systems (CTS), 2012 International Conference, IEEE, pp. 367–370. ,
- Towards affordably adaptable and effective systems, Syst Eng 15(1) (2012). and ,
- Aspects of systems integration, Proc First Int Conf Syst Integration, 1990, pp. 434–443. , , and ,
- The theory underlying concept MAPS and how to construct and use them, Institute for Human and Machine Cognition, November 2008. and ,
- NRC, Defense modeling, simulation and analysis: Meeting the challenge, Committee on Modeling and Simulation for Defense Transformation, National Research Council, Washington, DC, 2006.
- A. Prencipe, A. Davies, and M. Hobday (Editors), The business of systems integration, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2011.
- The effects on reliability of aircraft systems based on integrated modular avionics,” in Computer Safety, Reliability, and Security, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3219, Springer, New York, 2004, pp. 224–238. , , , and , “
- Integrating fault-tolerant techniques into the design of critical systems,” in Architecting critical Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6150, Springer, New York, 2010, pp. 33–51. and , “
- 1983. Research Report 1355, Army Research Institute, November 1983. , , , and , (JASS) for analysis of weapon systems personnel requirements, No. MGA-4581-MRO McFann Gray and Associates, Inc., Carmel, CA,
- Some thoughts on systems integration: A conceptual framework, J Syst Integration 1 (1991), 97–114. and ,
- Cognitive engineering: issues in user-centered system design,” in J.J. Marciniak (Editor), Encyclopedia of Software Engineering, 2nd edition, Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, 2002, pp. 163–179. , , and , “
- Interoperability as a cross-cutting concern, Interoperabilitect: Eerlijk Zullen we ulles delen, 2008. ,
- Systems integration and architecting: An overview of principles, practices, and perspectives, Syst Eng 1 (1998), 176–227. and ,
- Systems integration, Appl Ergonom 37 (2006), 91–110. and ,
- Integration in software intensive systems, J Syst Software 48 (1999), 91–104. ,
- THERP, SC-R-64-1338, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM, 1964. ,
- Seamless hardware-software integration in reconfigurable computing systems, Des Test Comput, IEEE 22 (2005), 102–113. , , and ,