Centrifugal partition chromatography: A survey of its history, and our recent advances in the field

Authors


Abstract

Centrifugal partition chromatography (CPC) was introduced in 1982 by Sanki Eng. And for almost 20 years this company remained the only one manufacturing such an apparatus. A CPC instrument or a CPC column is a series of channels linked in cascade by ducts and aligned in cartridges or disks in a circle around a rotor; setting the rotor in motion submits this assembly to a constant centrifugal field. The originality of CPC is that it uses any biphasic liquid-liquid system as mobile and stationary phases. The United States branch of Sanki contributed greatly to the worldwide acceptance of the technique. Recent works performed in the Netherlands and in France have, by means of visualization of flow-patterns in CPC channels, contributed to a better knowledge of hydrodynamics and mass transfer phenomena. Nowadays research in our laboratory focuses on speediness and scale-up of the technique. © 2003 The Japan Chemical Journal Forum and Wiley Periodicals, Inc., Chem Rec 3: 133–143; 2003: Published online in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com) DOI 10.1002/tcr.10057

Ancillary