Impact of a student–teacher–scientist partnership on students' and teachers' content knowledge, attitudes toward science, and pedagogical practices
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Volume 51, Issue 1, pages 84–115, January 2014
How to Cite
Houseal, A. K., Abd-El-Khalick, F. and Destefano, L. (2014), Impact of a student–teacher–scientist partnership on students' and teachers' content knowledge, attitudes toward science, and pedagogical practices. J. Res. Sci. Teach., 51: 84–115. doi: 10.1002/tea.21126
- Issue online: 10 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 SEP 2011
- National Science Foundation Biocomplexity in the Environment Program. Grant Number: EAR-0221743
- 2004). Inquiry in science education: International perspectives. Science Education, 88(3), 397–419. , , , , , , … (
- Achieve, Inc. (2013). The next generation science standards (NGSS). Retrieved from http://www.nextgenscience.org
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). (1989). Project 2061: Science for all Americans. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- American Association of University Women. (1994). Shortchanging girls, shortchanging America: Executive summary: A nationwide poll that assesses self-esteem, educational experiences, interest in math and science, and career aspirations of girls and boys ages 9–15 (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- 2007). Inquiry as an organizing theme for science curricula. In S. K. Abell & N. G. Lederman (Eds.), Handbook of research on science education (pp. 807–830). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. (
- 2012). Change—A desired permanent state in science education. In B. J. Fraser, K. G. Tobin, & C. J. McRobbie (Eds.), Second international handbook of science education (pp. 883–898). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer. (
- 1996). The richness of two cultures. National Conference on Student & Scientist Partnerships: Conference Report. Cambridge, MA: TERC. Retrieved from. http://www.terc.edu/ssp/conf_rep/ncssp_2/richtwo.htm (
- 2003). Just do it? The impact of a science apprenticeship program on high school students' understandings of the nature of science and scientific inquiry. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 40, 487–509. , , , & (
- 2001). New tools for analyzing teaching, curriculum and standards in mathematics & science: Results from survey of enacted curriculum project. Washington, DC: CCSSO. , , & (
- 1971). Handbook of formative and summative evaluation of student learning. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. , , & (
- 1993). Leading technological change. Leadership & Organisational Development Journal, 14(4), 21–30. (
- 1989). Situated cognition and the culture of learning. Educational Researcher, 18(1), 32–42. , , & (
- 2002). Building bridges and crossing borders: Using service learning to overcome cultural barriers to collaboration between science and education departments. School Science and Mathematics, 102(6), 285–298. (
- 2000). Building teacher-scientist partnerships: Teaching about energy through inquiry. School Science and Mathematics, 100(1), 7–15. , , & (
- 2002). Epistemologically authentic reasoning in schools: A theoretical framework for evaluating inquiry tasks. Science Education, 86, 175–218. , & (
- 1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. (
- 2001). Students as scientists: Using interactive technologies and collaborative inquiry in an environmental science project for teachers and their students. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 12(4), 235–252. , & (
- 2009). Professional learning in the learning profession: A status report on teacher development in the U.S. and Abroad. Dallas, TX: National Staff Development Council. , , , , & (
- 1943). The school and society. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. (
- 2005). Moving from outreach to partnership: Striving for articulation and reform across the K-20+ science education continuum. Cell Biology Education, 4(1), 35–37. , & (
- 1998). Bringing science to life through community-based watershed education. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 7(1), 15–23. , , , & (
- 1996). Two-way partnerships: An introduction to SSPs. National Conference on Student & Scientist Partnerships. Retrieved from http://www.terc.edu/ssp/conf_rep/ncssp_1/twoway.htm (
- 2001). Student/scientist partnerships: A teachers' guide to evaluating the critical components. American Biology Teacher, 63(5), 318–323. , , , & (
- 1998). GLOBE: A worldwide environmental science and education partnership. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 7(1), 77–84. (
- 1981). TOSRA—Test of science related attitudes. Hawthorne, Victoria, Australia: Australian Council for Educational Research. (
- 1982). Relationship between levels of perceived classroom individualization and science-related attitudes. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 19(2), 143–154. , & (
- 2000). Depositional facies and aqueous solid geochemistry of travertine depositing hot springs (Angel Terrace, Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone National Park, U.S.A.). Journal of Sedimentary Research, 7(3), 565–585. , , , , , , & (
- 1997, March). Teachers learning science by doing science. Paper presented at the meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Oak Brook, IL. (
- 2002). Professional development and teacher change. Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice, 8(3/4), 381–391. (
- 2012). Separating the research question from the laboratory techniques: Advancing High School Biology teachers' ability to ask research questions. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 49(10), 1296–1320. , & (
- 2003a). Developing effective K-16 geoscience research partnerships. Journal of Geoscience Education, 51(1), 5–8. , & (
- 2003b). Assessing data accuracy when involving students in authentic paleontological research. Journal of Geoscience Education, 51(1), 76–84. & (Eds.). (
- 1984). Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. (
- 2007). Science teacher attitudes and beliefs. In S. Abell & N. G. Lederman (Eds.), Handbook of research in science education (pp. 1067–1104). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. , & (
- 2003). Teaching science in elementary and middle school classrooms: A project-based approach (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. , , & (
- 1998). Student scientist partnerships and data quality. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 7(1), 5–13. , & (
- 2003). Developing meaningful student-teacher-scientist partnerships. Journal of Geoscience Education, 51(1), 91–95. , , , & (
- 2004 , January). Involving students in authentic research through student–teacher–scientist partnerships. Paper presented at the 84th AMS Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA. , , , & (
- 2003). Making authentic science accessible to students. International Journal of Science Education, 25(8), 923–948. , & (
- 2005). Assessment of learning in entry-level geoscience courses: Results from the Geoscience Concept Inventory. Journal of Geoscience Education, 53, 394–401. , & (
- 2006). The geoscience concept inventory: Application of Rasch analysis to concept inventory development in higher education. In X. Liu & W. Boone (Eds.), Applications of Rasch measurement in science education (pp. 45–73). Elmsford, NY: JAM Publishers. , & (
- 2008). Development of the geoscience concept inventory. In D. Deeds & B. Callen (Eds.), Proceedings of the National STEM Assessment Conference (pp. 148–158). Springfield, MO: Drury University. , & (
- 1997). Enacting project-based science. Elementary School Journal, 97, 341–358. , , , & (
- 2006). Real-world problem-solving using real-time data. International Journal of Engineering Education, 23(1), 36–41. , & (
- 2008). Ready, set, science! Putting research to work in K-8 science classrooms. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. , , & (
- 2005). Science education partnerships: Being realistic about meeting expectations. Cell Biology Education, 4(1), 30–32. (
- 1998). Can we be scientists too? Secondary students' perceptions of scientific research from a project-based classroom. Journal of Science, Education, and Technology, 7(2), 140–161. , , & (
- National Research Council [NRC]. (1996). National Science Education standards. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- NRC. (2000). Inquiry and the National Science Education Standards: A guide for teaching and learning. Washington DC: The National Academies Press.
- NRC. (2001). Educating teachers of science, mathematics, and technology: New practices for the new millennium. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- NRC. (2007). Taking science to school: Learning and teaching science in grades K-8. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- NRC. (2009). Learning science in informal environments: People, places, and pursuits. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- NRC. (2011). A framework for K-12 science education: Practices, crosscutting concepts, and core ideas. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- 2005). Instructional strategies to improve women's attitudes toward science. Unpublished doctoral dissertation: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. (
- 1959). A theory of therapy, personality and interpersonal relationships, as developed in the client-centered framework. In S. Koch (Ed.), Psychology: A study of science (pp. 184–256). New York, NY: McGraw Hill. (
- 2003). The mastodon matrix project: An experiment with large-scale public collaboration in paleontological research. Journal of Geoscience Education, 51(1), 39–47. , , , , , , & (
- 2010). Learning science through research apprenticeships: A critical review of the literature. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 47(3), 235–256. , , , & (
- 1978). Education and the structure of the disciplines. In I. Westbury & N. J. Wilkof (Eds.), Science, curriculum and liberal education (pp. 229–272). Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. (
- 1986). Those who understand: Knowledge growth in teaching. Educational Researcher, 15(2), 4–14. (
- 1987). Knowledge and teaching: Foundations of the new reform. Harvard Educational Review, 57(1), 1–22. (
- 1992). Ways of seeing, ways of knowing, ways of teaching, ways of learning about teaching. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 28, 393–396. (
- 2013). Assessing students' understanding of inquiry: What do prospective science teachers notice? Journal of Research in Science Teaching 50, 189–208. , , & (
- 2003). Approaches to biology teaching and learning: Science teaching and learning across the school-university divide—Cultivating conversations through scientist-teacher partnerships. Cell Biology Education, 2, 195–201. , , & (
- 2002). How to calculate effect sizes from published research: A simplified methodology. Retrieved from www.work-learning.com , & (
- 1997). Student scientist partnerships: Shrewd maneuvers. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 6, 111–117. (
- 2005). Building successful partnerships between K-12 and universities. Cell Biology Education, 4(1), 28–29. (
- 2013. , April 19). Grand challenges in science education: Professional development for science teachers. Science, 340, 310–313. (
- 2002). Tools for successful student–teacher–scientist partnerships. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 11(3), 277–284. , , & (
- 2005). Teacher/Scientist partnership develops a simulated natural disaster scenario to enhance student learning. Journal of Geoscience Education, 53(5), 522–530. , , , & (
- Yellowstone National Park (YAI), & Yellowstone National Park (YNP). (2004). Expedition: Yellowstone! A curriculum-based residential program for grades 4–8 in Yellowstone National Park. (Available from the Formal Education Branch Division of Interpretation, P.O. Box 168, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190).