Putting on a green carnival: Youth taking educated action on socioscientific issues
Version of Record online: 3 DEC 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Special Issue: Learning Science in Everyday Life
Volume 51, Issue 3, pages 286–314, March 2014
How to Cite
Birmingham, D. and Calabrese Barton, A. (2014), Putting on a green carnival: Youth taking educated action on socioscientific issues. J. Res. Sci. Teach., 51: 286–314. doi: 10.1002/tea.21127
- Issue online: 19 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 3 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 JUN 2013
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: DRL-0737642
- 2008). Science Knowledge and attitudes across cultures: A meta-analysis. Public Understanding of Science, 17(1), 35–54. , , , & (
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). (1989). Science for all Americans. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2007). Perspectives on science learning. In S. K. Abell & N. G. Lederman (Eds.), Handbook of research in science education (pp. 3–30). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. (
- 1997). The story of Juan and his group. Elementary School Journal, 97(4), 359–383. , , & (
- 1989). Critical ethnography in education: Origins, current status and new directions. Review of Educational Research, 59(3), 249–270. (
- 2006). Towards and interdisciplinary understanding of place: Lessons for environmental education. Canadian Journal of Environmental Education, 11, 112–126. (
- 1984). Problems of Dostoevsky's poetics, ed and trans. Caryl Emerson. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press. (
- 2010). Making science matter: Collaborations between informal science education organizations and schools. A CAISE Inquiry Group Report. Washington, DC: Center for Advancement of Informal Science. Education (CAISE). , , , , , , … (
- 2002). Toward an EcoJustice pedagogy. Environmental Education Research, 8, 21–34. (
- 2009). Power politics: Environmental activism in south Los Angeles. Los Angeles, NJ: Rutgers University Press. (
- 2001). Science education in urban settings: Seeking new ways of praxis through critical ethnography. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 38(8), 899–917. (
- 2010). We be burnin: Agency, identity and learning in a green energy program. Journal of Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, 10(3), 207–222. , & (
- 2011). Assessing equity beyond knowledge and skils based outcomes: A comparative ethnography of two fourth-grade reform-based science classrooms. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 48(5), 459–485. , , & (
- 2000). Citizenship: The democratic imagination in a global/local context. Social Education, 64(1), 48–52. , , & (
- 2002). Lessons without limit: How free-choice learning is transforming education. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press. , & (
- 2010). Salvaging science literacy. Science Education, 95, 168–185. (
- 2010). Surrounded by science: Learning science in informal environments. Board on Science Education, Center for Education, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. , & (
- 1967). The discovery of grounded theory. Chicago, IL: Aldine Publishing Company. , & (
- William T. Grant Foundation. (2008). After-school programs and academics: Implications for policy, practice, and research. Social Policy Report, XXII(2), 3–19. , &
- 2008). Grounding culturally responsive teaching in geographically diverse contexts. In D. Gruenwald & G. Smith (Eds.), In place-based education in the global age. New York: Routledge. (
- Gruenewald, D. A., & Smith, G. A. (Eds.). (2008). Place-based education in the global age. New York: Taylor & Francis.
- 2001). Scientific literacy for citizenship: Tools for dealing with the science dimension of controversial socio-scientific issues. Science Education, 85, 291–310. (
- 2003). Science and the “good citizen”: Community-based scientificliteracy. Science, Technology & Human Values, 28(3), 403–424. , & (
- 1992). Intertextuality and educational research. Linguistics and Education, 4, 257–267. (
- 2010). Exploring insideness in urban children's sense of place. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 30, 328–337. , & (
- Michigan League for Human Service. (2009, December). Michigan by the numbers: Hard times continue. Retrieved from: http://www.milhs.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/MIbytheNumbersPovertyReportDec2009REV.pdf.
- National Reasearch Council. (2007). Taking science to school: Learning and teaching science in grades K-8. In R. A. Duschl, H. A. Schweingruber, & A. W. Shouse (Eds.), Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- National Research Council (NRC). (2009). Learning science in informal environments: people, places, and pursuits. Washington, DC: The National Academies.
- National Research Council (NRC). (2012) A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- 1999). The place of argumentation in the pedagogy of school science. International Journal of Science Education, 21(5), 553–576. , , & (
- NGSS Lead States. (2013). Next Generation Science Standards: For States, By States. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- Noddings, N. (Ed.). (2005). Educating citizens for global awareness. New York: Teachers College Press.
- 2003). “ Science festivals and weeks as spaces for OPUS”. In O.P.U.S: Optimising public understanding of science and technology—Final report, Edited by: Felt, E. 271–282. Vienna: University of Vienna. Retrieved from http://www.univie.ac.at/virusss/opus/OPUS%20Report% , , & (
- 2006). Environment, disaster and race after Katrina. Race, Poverty & the Environment, 13(1), 21–26. , , , , , & (
- 2007). Scientific literacy/science literacy. In S. K. Abell & N. G. Lederman (Eds.), Handbook of research in science education (pp. 729–779). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. (
- 2002). Scientists in the classroom: The cold war reconstructing of American science education. New York: Pelgrave. (
- 2004). Informal reasoning regarding socioscientific issues: A critical review of research. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 41, 513–536. (
- 2013). Beliefs and willingness to act about global warming: Where to focus science pedagogy? Science Education, 97, 191–217. , , & (
- 2013). More than particle theory: Citizenship through school science. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, 10(3). , & (
- 2007). Schooling and environmental education: contradictions in purpose and practice. Environmental Education Research, 13(2), 139–153. (
- 2013). Activity and action: Bridging environmental sciences and environmental education. Research in Science Education, 43(4), 1665–1687. , & (
- 1993). Doing critical ethnography (Vol. 26). Newbury Park, CA: SAGE Publications. (
- 1999). Latinos unidos: From cultural diversity to the politics of solidarity. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. (
- 2007). The power of community-centered Education: Teaching as a craft of place. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. (
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2010). State and county quick facts. Spauldings, MD: U.S. Census Bureau.
- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2011). Economy at a glance. Bureau of Labor Statisticsm, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Green Building Council. (2008). LEED for homes rating system. U.S. Green Building Council, Washington, D.C.
- 2009). Resuscitating the critical in the biological grotesque: Blood, guts, biomachismo in science/education and human guinea pig discourse. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 4, 761–780. , & (
- 2009). The Federal role of out of school learning. Harvard family research project. Cambridge, MA. , , , , & (