Encouraging the transition from concrete to formal cognitive functioning-an experiment
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2006
Copyright © 1976 Wiley Periodicals, Inc., A Wiley Company
Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Volume 13, Issue 5, pages 413–430, September 1976
How to Cite
Lawson, A. E. and Wollman, W. T. (1976), Encouraging the transition from concrete to formal cognitive functioning-an experiment. J. Res. Sci. Teach., 13: 413–430. doi: 10.1002/tea.3660130505
- Issue published online: 18 AUG 2006
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2006
- National Science Foundation
- The transition from concrete to abstract cognitive functioning: Theoretical; issues and implications for education. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 1964, 2, 261–266.
- Experimental inductions of “first-order” quantitative invariants. Psychological Buttetin, 1971, 75(2), 128–144. , &
- Conservation and sex. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 1973, 37, 14. , &
- Representation and mathematics learning. In W.Kessen and C.Kuhlman (Eds.), Cognitive development in children. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1970. , &
- Experimental and quasi-experimental designs for research. Chicago: Rand McNally, 1966. , &
- Education Policies Commission. The central purpose of American education. Washington, D.C.: National Education Association of the United States, 1961.
- Children's discovery of the conservation of mass, weight, and volume: Piaget replication study II. Journal of Genetic Psychology, 1961, 98, 219–227.
- Piaget and science education. Washington Monthly, 1972, 10(3), 9–12.
- The developmental psychology of Jean Piaget. New York: D. Van Nostrand, 1963.
- The relationship between an inquiry teaching approach and intellectual development. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Oklahoma, 1970.
- Manual: Concept assessment kit-conservation. San Diego, Calif.: Educational and Industrial Testing Service, 1968. , &
- Elusiveness of formal-operational thought in adolescents. Proceedings 79th Annual Convention, APA, 1971, pp. 201–202. , &
- The study of problem solving and thinking. In P.Mussen (Ed.), Handbook of research methods in child development. New York: Wiley, 1960. , &
- The growth of logical thinking from childhood to adolescence. New York: Basic Books, 1958. , &
- The developmental theory of Piaget: Conservation. San Francisco: Davidson Films, 1969. , &
- Relations between Piaget and psychometric assessments of intelligence. In C.Lavatelli (Ed.), The natural curriculum. Urbana, Ill.: ERIC, 1971. , &
- The adolescent as a philosopher: The discovery of the self in a postconventional world. Daedalus, 1971, 100, 1051–1084. , &
- Development as the aim of education. Harvard Educational Review, 1972, 42(4), 449496. , &
- Relationships between concrete- and formal-operational science subject matter and the intellectual level of the learner. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Oklahoma, 1973.
- Concrete and formal thinking abilities in high school biology students as measured by three separate instruments. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 1976, 13(3), 227–235. , &
- A quantitative analysis of responses to Piagetian tasks and its implications for curriculum. Science Education, 1974, 58(4), 545–559. , &
- Relationship of science subject matter and developmental levels of learners. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 1975, 12(4), 347–358. , &
- Training effects and generalization of the ability to control variables in high school biology students. Science Education, 1975, 59(3), 387–396. , , &
- Piagetian formal operational tasks: A crossover study of learning effect and reliability. Science Education, 1974, 58(2), 267–276. , , &
- Relationships of formal reasoning to achievement, aptitudes, and attitudes in preservice teachers. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 1975, 12(4), 423431. , , &
- Levels of intellectual development and reading ability in disadvantaged students and the teaching of science. Science Education, 1975 59(1), 113–125. , , &
- Brain mechanisms and human learning. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1967.
- Un essai d'application de la psychologic genetique a la psychologic differentielle. Bulletin de l'Institut National D'Etude, 1962, 18(3), 153–162.
- Analyse statistique de trois tests genetiques collectifs. Bulletin de l'Institut National D'Etude, 1965, 20(4), 219–237.
- Formal reasoning: A re-appraisal. Address to the Jean Piaget Society Annual Meeting, May, 1973.
- Are colleges concerned with intellectual development? American Journal of Physics, 1971, 39(9), 1047–1052. , &
- The nature of adolescent judgment. New York: Wiley-Interscience, 1971.
- Biology and knowledge. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1967.
- Intellectual evolution from adolescence to adulthood. Human Development, 1972, 15, 1–12.
- Programming Piaget's logical operations for science inquiry and concept attainment. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 1974, 11(3), 251–261.
- Science Curriculum Improvement Study. Subsystems and variables teacher's guide. Chicago: Rand McNally, 1970.
- Nonparametric statistics for the behavioral science. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1956.
- The effectiveness of concrete and formal instructional procedures. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, State University of New York, Albany, 1970.
- Intellectual development beyond elementary school V: Using ratio in differing tasks. School Science and Mathematics, 1974, 74(7), 593–611. , &
- School Science and Mathematics, 1975, submitted. Intellectual development beyond elementary school VI: Controlling variables: A survey.