Science teaching and the development of reasoning
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2006
Copyright © 1977 Wiley Periodicals, Inc., A Wiley Company
Journal of Research in Science Teaching
Volume 14, Issue 2, pages 169–175, March 1977
How to Cite
Karplus, R. and Butts, D. P. (1977), Science teaching and the development of reasoning. J. Res. Sci. Teach., 14: 169–175. doi: 10.1002/tea.3660140212
- Issue published online: 18 AUG 2006
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 AUG 1976
- The growth of logical thinking from childhood to adolescence New York: Basic Books, Inc., 1958. , &
- Intellectual development beyond elementary school II: Ratio, a survey. School Science and Mathematics, 1970, 70, 813–820. , &
- Proportional reasoning and control of variables in seven countries. Berkeley, Calif.: Lawrence Hall of Science 1975. , , , &
- Workshop on science teaching and the development of reasoning. Berkeley, Calif.: Lawrence Hall of Science, 1977, Modules 2, 5 and 7. (Arrangements for the distribution of the workshop materials are being made.) , , , , , , , &
- Training effects and generalization of the ability to control variables in high school biology students. Science Education, 1975, 59, 387–396. , , &
- The factor structure of some Piagetian tasks. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 1976, 13, 461–466. , &
- Teaching proportions and intellectual development. Unpublished manuscript, University of California, Berkeley, 1975. , &
- Encouraging the transition from concrete to formal cognitive functioning—An experiment. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 1976, 13, 1413–430. , &
- Formal reasoning: A re-appraisal. Proceedings 3rd Annual Symposium of the Jean Piaget Society, Temple University, Philadelphia (in press).
- Intellectual development during adolescence. In F. D.Horowitz (Ed.), Review of child development research (Vol. 4). Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1975.
- Intellectual evolution from adolescence to adulthood. Human Development, 1972, 15, 1–12.
- To understand is to invent. New York: Grossman, 1973.
- Science curriculum improvement study. Chicago: Rand McNally, 1970–1974.
- SCIS teacher's Handbook. Berkeley, Calif.: Lawrence Hall of Science, 1974.
- The functional context of instruction. Professional paper 35–67, Human Research Office, George Washington University, 1967.
- Comments on Kenneth Lovell's paper: Does learning recapitulate ontogeny? In D. R.Green, M. P.Ford, and G. B.Flamer (Eds.), Measurement and Piaget. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1971.