Effect of functional end groups of silane self-assembled monolayer surfaces on apatite formation, fibronectin adsorption and osteoblast cell function
Article first published online: 14 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 26–36, January 2009
How to Cite
Toworfe, G. K., Bhattacharyya, S., Composto, R. J., Adams, C. S., Shapiro, I. M. and Ducheyne, P. (2009), Effect of functional end groups of silane self-assembled monolayer surfaces on apatite formation, fibronectin adsorption and osteoblast cell function. J Tissue Eng Regen Med, 3: 26–36. doi: 10.1002/term.131
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 14 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 28 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Received: 16 MAY 2008
- NIH. Grant Number: ROl-DE-13009
- 2005; Surface modification of surface sol–gel derived titanium oxide films by self-assembled monolayers (SAMs) and non-specific protein adsorption studies. Colloids Surfaces B Biointerfaces 42: 29–43. , , , et al.
- 1983; The interface zone of inorganic implants in vivo—titanium implants in bone. Ann Biomed Eng 11: 1–27. , , , et al.
- 1986; Ultrastructural characterization of the interface between bone and sputtered titanium or stainless-steel surfaces. Biomaterials 7: 201–205. , .
- 1999; Effects of hydroxylapatite coating crystallinity on biosolubility, cell attachment efficiency and proliferation in vitro. Biomaterials 20: 977–985. , , .
- 1992; Adsorption and elution of extracellular-matrix proteins on nontissue culture polystyrene petri dishes. J Colloid Interface Sci 153: 212–225. , , .
- 1999; Bovine serum albumin adsorption on titania surfaces and its relation to wettability aspects. J Biomed Mater Res 46: 376–381. , , , et al.
- 1992; Bioactive ceramic prosthetic coatings. Clin Orthoped Relat Res 276: 102–114. , .
- 1990; Calcium phosphate ceramic coating on porous titanium: effect of structure and composition on electrophoretic deposition, vacuum sintering and in vitro dissolution. Biomaterials 11: 244–254. , , , et al.
- 1999; Bioactive ceramics: the effect of surface reactivity on bone formation and bone cell function. Biomaterials 20: 2287–2303. , .
- 1995; Bioactive material template for in vitro synthesis of bone. J Biomed Mater Res 29: 359–370. , , .
- 1999; Effect of serum proteins on osteoblast adhesion to surface-modified bioactive glass and hydroxyapatite. J Orthopaed Res 17: 340–345. , , .
- 1994; Bioactive glass templates for the synthesis of bone-like tissue in vitro. In Biomaterials for Cell and Drug Delivery, MikosAG, MurphyRM, BernsteinH, et al. (eds). Materials Research Society: Puttsburgh, PA; 257–262. , , .
- 2004; Model surfaces engineered with nanoscale roughness and RGD tripeptides promote osteoblast activity. J Biomed Mater Res A 68A: 615–627. , , , et al.
- 2002; Predicting the kinetics of cell spreading. J Biomech 35: 1137–1141. , .
- 2002; Role of αvβ3-integrin in TNF-α-induced endothelial cell migration. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 283: C1196–1205. , , .
- 1998; Effect of surface reaction stage on fibronectin-mediated adhesion of osteoblast-like cells to bioactive glass. J Biomed Mater Res 40: 48–56. , , .
- 1987; Expression of differentiated function by mineralizing cultures of chicken osteoblasts. Dev Biol 122: 49–60. , , , et al.
- 2005; Apoptosis and survival of osteoblast-like cells are regulated by surface attachment. J Biol Chem 280: 1733–1739. , , , et al.
- 1997; In vitro changes of hydroxyapatite coatings. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 12: 589–597. , , , et al.
- 1992; Characterization of surface film formed on titanium in electrolyte using XPS. Appl Surface Sci 55: 269–276. , .
- 1983; Structural aspects of the interface between tissue and titanium implants. J Prosthet Dentistry 50: 108–113. , , .
- 1991; Bioceramics—from concept to clinic. J Am Ceram Soc 74: 1487–1510. .
- 1988; Bioactive ceramics. In Bioceramics: Material Characteristics Versus In Vivo Behavior, DucheyneP, LemonsJE (eds). New York Academy of Sciences: New York; 54–71. .
- 1992; Phallotoxin and actin binding assay by fluorescence enhancement. Anal Biochem 200: 199–204. , , .
- 1993; Transforming growth factor β1 stimulates chondrogenesis and inhibits osteogenesis in high-density culture of periosteum-derived cells. Endocrinology 132: 1603–1608. , , , et al.
- 2004; Effect of rapidly resorbable calcium phosphates and a calcium phosphate bone cement on the expression of bone related genes and proteins in vivo. J Biomed Mater Res A 69: 154–154. , , , et al.
- 1983; Biocompatibility of titanium implants—surface science aspects. J Prosthet Dentistry 49: 832–837. .
- 2005; Integrin binding specificity regulates biomaterial surface chemistry effects on cell differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 5953–5957. , , .
- 1997; Interaction of the NH2-terminal domain of fibronectin with heparin—role of the omega-loops of the type I modules. J Biol Chem 272: 17078–17085. , , , et al.
- 1991; Bioactive glass-ceramics—properties and applications. Biomaterials 12: 155–163. .
- 1990; Solutions able to reproduce in vivo surface–structure changes in bioactive glass–ceramic A-W. J Biomed Mater Res 24: 721–734. , , , et al.
- 2005; Observation of osteogenic differentiation cascade of living mesenchymal stem cells on transparent hydroxyapatite ceramics. Biomaterials 26: 779–785. , , , et al.
- 1999; Chelation of calcium ions by some tyrosine-derived polymers may be related to improved bone biocompatibility. 25th Annual Meeting of the Society for Biomaterials. Trans Soc Biomater XXII: 13. , , , et al.
- 1998; Fibronectin adsorption, conformation, and orientation on polystyrene substrates studied by radiolabeling, XPS and ToF SIMS. J Biomed Mater Res 41: 95–103. , , , et al.
- 1997; The bone-bonding polymer Polyactive® 80/20 induces hydroxycarbonate apatite formation in vitro. J Biomed Mater Res 34: 79–86. , , .
- 1993; Calcium-phosphate formation within sol–gel prepared titania in vitro and in vivo. J Biomed Mater Res 27: 1495–1500. , .
- 1995; In vivo calcium-phosphate formation induced by sol–gel-prepared silica. J Biomed Mater Res 29: 325–328. , , , et al.
- 1998; Quasi-biological apatite film induced by titanium in a simulated body fluid. J Biomed Mater Res 41: 341–348. , .
- 1996; Hydroxyapatite coating by dipping method and bone bonding strength. J Mater Sci Mater Med 7: 355–357. , , , et al.
- 1998; Response of MG63 osteoblast-like cells to titanium and titanium alloy is dependent on surface roughness and composition. Biomaterials 19: 2219–2232. , , , et al.
- 2006; The optimal SAM surface functional group for producing a biomimetic HA coating on Ti. J Biomed Mater Res A 77A: 763–772. , , , et al.
- 2000; Quantification of the surface density of a fluorescent label with the optical microscope. J Biomed Mater Res 50: 90–96. , .
- 1997; Surface roughness of titanium on bone morphogenetic protein-2-treated cells in vitro. Implant Dent 6: 19–24. , , , et al.
- 1993; The effect of calcium-phosphate ceramic composition and structure on in vitro behavior. 2. Precipitation. J Biomed Mater Res 27: 35–45. , .
- 1951; The role of ALPase in osteogenesis. J Exp Med 93: 415–425. .
- 1994; Bone cell expression on titanium surfaces is altered by sterilization treatments. J Dent Res 73: 1061–1071. , , .
- 2006; Nucleation and growth of calcium phosphate on amine-, carboxyl- and hydroxyl-silane self-assembled monolayers. Biomaterials 27: 631–642. , , , et al.
- 2004; Fibronectin adsorption on surface-activated poly(dimethylsiloxane) and its effect on cellular function. J Biomed Mater Res A 71A: 449–461. , , , et al.
- 1982; Fluorescent localization of contractile proteins in tissue-culture cells. Methods Enzymol 85: 514–562. , , .
- 2004; The effect of surface charge on hydroxyapatite nucleation. Biomaterials 25: 3915–3921. , , .