Enamel matrix derivative inhibits proteoglycan production and articular cartilage repair, delays the restoration of the subchondral bone and induces changes of the synovial membrane in a lapine osteochondral defect model in vivo
Article first published online: 2 MAY 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 41–49, January 2014
How to Cite
Kiss, A., Cucchiarini, M., Menger, M. D., Kohn, D., Hannig, M. and Madry, H. (2014), Enamel matrix derivative inhibits proteoglycan production and articular cartilage repair, delays the restoration of the subchondral bone and induces changes of the synovial membrane in a lapine osteochondral defect model in vivo. J Tissue Eng Regen Med, 8: 41–49. doi: 10.1002/term.1495
- Issue published online: 3 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 2 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 9 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 SEP 2011
- 1996; Acceleration of experimental endochondral ossification by biophysical stimulation of the progenitor cell pool. J Orthop Res 14: 582–589. , .
- 1993; TGF-β1 prevents hypertrophy of epiphyseal chondrocytes: regulation of gene expression for cartilage matrix proteins and metalloproteases. Dev Biol 158: 414–429. , , , et al.
- 2000; Porcine fetal enamel matrix derivative enhances bone formation induced by demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft in vivo. J Periodontol 71(8): 1278–1286. , , , et al.
- 1994; The human amelogenin c-terminal sequence is completely homologous to the C-terminal sequence of amelogenin in all species so far studied. J Dent Res 73: 716–717. , , , et al.
- 1995; Biochemistry and molecular biology of amelogenin proteins of developing dental enamel. Arch Oral Biol 40: 1–14. , , , et al.
- 2010; A review on endogenous regenerative technology in periodontal regenerative medicine. Biomaterials 31(31): 7892–7927. , , , et al.
- 2011; Metabolic activities and chondrogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells following recombinant adeno-associated virus-mediated gene transfer and overexpression of fibroblast growth factor 2. Tissue Eng Part A 17(15–16): 1921–1933. , , , et al.
- 2002; Effect of porcine fetal enamel matrix derivative on chondrocyte proliferation, differentiation, and local factor production is dependent on cell maturation state. Cells Tissues Organs 171: 117–127. , , , et al.
- 1994; Self-assembly of a recombinant amelogenin protein generates supramolecular structures. J Struct Biol 112: 103–109. , , , et al.
- 2001; Insulin-like growth factor-I gene expression patterns during spontaneous repair of acute articular cartilage injury. J Orthop Res 19(4): 720–728. , , , et al.
- 2002; Insulin-like growth factor-I enhances cell-based repair of articular cartilage. J Bone Joint Surg Br 84(2): 276–288. , , , et al.
- 1997a; Formulation of enamel matrix derivative for surface coating. Kinetics and cell colonization. J Clin Periodontol 24: 678–684. , , , et al.
- 1997b; In vitro studies on periodontal ligament cells and enamel matrix derivative. J Clin Periodontol 24: 685–692. , , , et al.
- 2006; The control of chondrogenesis. J Cell Biochem 97(1): 33–44. , , , et al.
- 2006; The effect of the amelogenin fraction of enamel matrix proteins on fibroblast-mediated collagen matrix reorganization. Biomaterials 27(15): 2926–2933. , , , et al.
- 2001; Enamel matrix derivative induces matrix synthesis by cultured human periodontal fibroblast cells. J Periodontol 72(3): 341–348. , .
- 2004; Effects of enamel matrix derivative on proliferation and differentiation of primary osteoblasts. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pat Oral Rad Endo 98: 243–249. , , , et al.
- 1995; Divide, accumulate, differentiate: cell condensation in skeletal development revisited. Int J Dev Biol 39: 881–893. , .
- 1997; Enamel matrix, cementum development and regeneration. J Clin Periodontol 24: 658–668. .
- 2007; Amelogenin expression in long bone and cartilage cells and in bone marrow progenitor cells. Anat Rec 290: 455–460. , , , et al.
- 2004a; Emdogain promotes osteoblast proliferation and differentiation and stimulates osteoprotegerin expression. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pat Oral Rad Endo 97: 239–245. , , , et al.
- 2004b; Direct contact between enamel matrix derivative (EMD) and osteoblasts is not required for EMD-induced cell proliferation. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pat Oral Rad Endo 98: 370–375. , , , et al.
- 2000; In vitro wound healing responses to enamel matrix derivative. J Periodontol 71: 1270–1277. , , , et al.
- 2001; Growth-factor-induced healing of partial-thickness defects in adult articular cartilage. Osteoarthr Cartilage 9(1): 22–32. .
- 2002; Articular cartilage repair: basic science and clinical progress. A review of the current status and prospects. Osteoarthr Cartilage 10(6): 432–463. .
- 2001a; Effects of enamel matrix derivative on gene expression of primary osteoblasts. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pat Oral Rad Endo 91: 95–100. , , , et al.
- 2001b; Enamel matrix derivative prolongs primary osteoblast growth. J Endod 27: 110–112. , , , et al.
- 2001; Porcine enamel matrix derivative enhances trabecular bone regeneration during wound healing of injured rat femur. Anat Rec 264: 438–446. , , , et al.
- 2001; Enamel matrix derivative (emdogain) rapidly stimulates phosphorylation of the MAP kinase family and nuclear accumulation of smad2 in both oral epithelial and fibroblastic human cells. J Periodont Res 36: 367–376. , , , et al.
- 2004; In vitro effects of enamel matrix proteins on rat bone marrow cells and gingival fibroblasts. J Dent Res 83: 134–138. , , , et al.
- 1999; Histological and Histochemical Methods – Theory and Practice. Butterworth-Heinemann: Oxford, UK. .
- 2005; The effect of Emdogain on ectopic bone formation in tubes of rat demineralized dentin matrix. J Periodontal Res 40(5): 385–394. , , , et al.
- 2001; Autocrine growth factors in human periodontal ligament cells cultured on enamel matrix derivative. J Clin Periodontol 28: 181–188. , , , et al.
- 2003; Sustained transgene expression in cartilage defects in vivo after transplantation of articular chondrocytes modified by lipid-mediated gene transfer in a gel suspension delivery system. J Gene Med 5(6): 502–509. , , , et al.
- 2005; Enhanced repair of articular cartilage defects in vivo by transplanted chondrocytes overexpressing insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I). Gene Ther 12(15): 1171–1179. , , , et al.
- 2011; Gene therapy for cartilage repair. Cartilage 2(3): 201–225. , , , et al.
- 2010a; Acceleration of articular cartilage repair by combined gene transfer of human insulin-like growth factor I and fibroblast growth factor-2 in vivo. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 130(10): 1311–1322. , , , et al.
- 2010b; The basic science of the subchondral bone. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 18(4): 419–433. , , , et al.
- 2007; The potential use of enamel matrix derivative for in situ anterior cruciate ligament tissue engineering: a translational in vitro investigation. Tissue Eng 13(8): 2041–2051. , , , et al.
- 2010; Enamel matrix derivative enhances tissue formation around scaffolds used for tissue engineering of ligaments. J Tissue Eng Regen Med 4(2): 96–104. , , , et al.
- 2004; Effects of a topical enamel matrix derivative on skin wound healing. Wound Repair Regen 12: 100–108. , , , et al.
- 2010; The effect of enamel matrix proteins on the spreading, proliferation and differentiation of osteoblasts cultured on titanium surfaces. Biomaterials 31(3): 449–460. , , , et al.
- 2009; Clinical efficacy of the microfracture technique for articular cartilage repair in the knee: an evidence-based systematic analysis. Am J Sports Med 37(10): 2053–2063. , , , et al.
- 2007; Enamel matrix derivative stimulates chondrogenic differentiation of ATDC5 cells. J Periodont Res 42: 131–137. , , , et al.
- 2002; Effect of enamel matrix derivative on the differentiation of C2C12 cells. J Periodontol 73(5): 543–550. , , , et al.
- 2011; Reliability, reproducibility, and validation of five major histological scoring systems for experimental articular cartilage repair in the rabbit model. Tissue Eng Part C Methods doi: 10.1089/ten.tec.2011.0462. , , , et al.
- 2003; Effect of Emdogain on human periodontal fibroblasts in an in vitro wound-healing model. J Periodont Res 38: 290–295. , , , et al.
- 2008; Amelogenin, an extracellular matrix protein, in the treatment of venous leg ulcers and other hard-to-heal wounds: experimental and clinical evidence. Clin Interv Aging 3(2): 263–272. , , , et al.
- 2002; Histological evaluation of osteochondral defects: consideration of animal models with emphasis on the rabbit, experimental setup, follow-up and applied methods. Cells Tissues Organs 171(4): 229–240. .
- 2010; The evidence for surgical repair of articular cartilage in the knee. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 18(5): 259–266. , .
- 2004; Healing of periodontal defects treated with enamel matrix proteins and root surface conditioning – an experimental study in dogs. Biomaterials 25(10): 1831–1840. , , , et al.
- 2002; Effects of enamel matrix derivative on mineralized tissue formation during bone wound healing in rat parietal bone defects. J Electron Microsc 51: 413–423. , , , et al.
- 2000; Porcine fetal enamel matrix derivative stimulates proliferation but not differentiation of pre-osteoblastic 2T9 cells, inhibits proliferation and stimulates differentiation of osteoblast-like MG63 cells, and increases proliferation and differentiation of normal human osteoblast NHOst cells. J Periodontal 71: 1287–1296. , , , et al.
- 1997; The effect of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2) on the healing of full-thickness defects of articular cartilage. J Bone Joint Surg Am 79(10): 1452–1463. , , , et al.
- 2000; Repair of articular cartilage defects one year after treatment with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2). J Bone Joint Surg Am 82(2): 151–160. , , , et al.
- 1993; Cell origin and differentiation in the repair of full-thickness defects of articular cartilage. J Bone Joint Surg Am 75(4): 532–553. , , , et al.
- 2009; Cells and biomaterials in cartilage tissue engineering. Regen Med 4(1): 81–98. , , , et al.
- 1997; Growth factors as therapeutic agents. Instr Course Lect 46: 473–476. .
- 1998; Joint inflammation and cartilage destruction may occur uncoupled. Springer Semin Immunopathol 20(1–2): 149–164. .
- 2000; Enamel matrix-derived protein stimulates attachment of periodontal ligament fibroblasts and enhances alkaline phosphatase activity and transforming growth factor-β1 release of periodontal ligament and gingival fibroblasts. J Periodontol 71: 31–34. , , , et al.
- 2006a; The effect of amelogenins (Xelma) on hard-to-heal venous leg ulcers. Wound Repair Regen 14(3): 240–246. , , , et al.
- 2006b; Effect of amelogenin extracellular matrix protein and compression on hard-to-heal venous leg ulcers. J Wound Care 16: 189–195. , , , et al.
- 2003; The effects of enamel matrix derivative (EMD) on osteoblastic cells in culture and bone regeneration in a rat skull defect. J Periodont Res 38: 333–342. , , , et al.
- 2003; Enamel matrix derivative exhibits angiogenic effect in vitro and in a murine model. J Clin Periodontol 30: 732–738. , , , et al.