These authors contributed equally to this study.
Rapid vascularization of starch–poly(caprolactone) in vivo by outgrowth endothelial cells in co-culture with primary osteoblasts
Article first published online: 29 DEC 2010
Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine
Volume 5, Issue 6, pages e136–e143, June 2011
How to Cite
Ghanaati, S., Fuchs, S., Webber, M. J., Orth, C., Barbeck, M., Gomes, M. E., Reis, R. L. and James Kirkpatrick, C. (2011), Rapid vascularization of starch–poly(caprolactone) in vivo by outgrowth endothelial cells in co-culture with primary osteoblasts. J Tissue Eng Regen Med, 5: e136–e143. doi: 10.1002/term.373
- Issue published online: 23 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 29 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUL 2010
- European Commission
- German Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- 2008; Differential in vivo potential of endothelial progenitor cells from human umbilical cord blood and adult peripheral blood to form functional long-lasting vessels. Blood 111(3): 1302–1305. , , , et al.
- 1992; The pericyte as a possible osteoblast progenitor cell. Clin Orthop Relat Res 275: 287–299. , , , et al.
- 2005; Angiogenesis in life, disease and medicine. Nature 438(7070): 932–936. .
- 1998; Vascular pericytes express osteogenic potential in vitro and in vivo. J Bone Miner Res 13(5): 828–838. , , , et al.
- 2003; Fundamental concepts of the angiogenic process. Curr Mol Med 3(7): 643–651. .
- 2009a; Outgrowth endothelial cells: sources, characteristics and potential applications in tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol (in press) [DOI: 10.1007/10_2009_65]. , , , et al.
- 2009c; Contribution of outgrowth endothelial cells from human peripheral blood on in vivo vascularization of bone tissue engineered constructs based on starch polycaprolactone scaffolds. Biomaterials 30(4): 526–534. , , , et al.
- 2006b; Retention of a differentiated endothelial phenotype by outgrowth endothelial cells isolated from human peripheral blood and expanded in long-term cultures. Cell Tissue Res 326(1): 79–92. , , .
- 2007; Microvessel-like structures from outgrowth endothelial cells from human peripheral blood in two-dimensional and three-dimensional co-cultures with osteoblastic lineage cells. Tissue Eng 13(10): 2577–2588. , , .
- 2009b; Dynamic processes involved in the pre-vascularization of silk fibroin constructs for bone regeneration using outgrowth endothelial cells. Biomaterials 30(7): 1329–1338. , , , et al.
- 2006a; Outgrowth endothelial cells isolated and expanded from human peripheral blood progenitor cells as a potential source of autologous cells for endothelialization of silk fibroin biomaterials. Biomaterials 27(31): 5399–5408. , , , et al.
- 2003; Endothelial–pericyte interactions in angiogenesis. Cell Tissue Res 314(1): 15–23. , .
- 2010; Fine-tuning scaffolds for tissue regeneration: effects of formic acid processing on tissue reaction to silk fibroin. J Tissue Eng Regen Med (in press) [DOI: 10.1002/term.257]. , , , et al.
- 2009; Dynamic in vivo biocompatibility of angiogenic peptide amphiphile nanofibers. Biomaterials 30(31): 6202–6212. , , , et al.
- 2003; Effect of flow perfusion on the osteogenic differentiation of bone marrow stromal cells cultured on starch-based three-dimensional scaffolds. J Biomed Mater Res A 67(1): 87–95. , , , et al.
- 2003; Bioengineered human bone tissue using autogenous osteoblasts cultured on different biomatrices. J Biomed Mater Res A 67(1): 191–199. , , , et al.
- 2007; In vivo vasculogenic potential of human blood-derived endothelial progenitor cells. Blood 109(11): 4761–4768. , , , et al.
- 1998; Similarities in the phenotypic expression of pericytes and bone cells. Clin Orthop Relat Res 346: 95–103.). , , , et al.
- 2007; Response of micro- and macrovascular endothelial cells to starch-based fiber meshes for bone tissue engineering. Biomaterials 28(2): 240–248. , , , et al.
- 2009; Crosstalk between osteoblasts and endothelial cells co-cultured on a poly-caprolactone–starch scaffold and the in vitro development of vascularization. Biomaterials 30(26): 4407–4415. , , , et al.
- 1993; Pericyte physiology. FASEB J 7(11): 1031–1038. , .
- 2008; Material-based deployment enhances efficacy of endothelial progenitor cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105(38): 14347–14352. , , , et al.
- 2010; The rapid anastomosis between prevascularized networks on silk fibroin scaffold generated in vitro with co-cultures of human microvascular enothelial and osteoblast cells and the host vasculature. Biomaterials 31(27): 6959–6967. , , , et al.
- 2005; Vascularization and gene regulation of human endothelial cells growing on porous polyethersulfone (PES) hollow fiber membranes. Biomaterials 26(17): 3461–3469. , , , et al.
- 2004; Endothelialization of a non-woven silk fibroin net for use in tissue engineering: growth and gene regulation of human endothelial cells. Biomaterials 25(21): 5137–5146. , , , et al.
- 2007; Tissue-like self-assembly in co-cultures of endothelial cells and osteoblasts and the formation of microcapillary-like structures on three-dimensional porous biomaterials. Biomaterials 28(27): 3965–3976. , , , et al.