Lessons learned: The McMaster inquiry story from innovation to institutionalization
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc., A Wiley Company
New Directions for Teaching and Learning
Special Issue: Inquiry-Guided Learning
Volume 2012, Issue 129, pages 93–104, Spring 2012
How to Cite
Cuneo, C., Harnish, D., Roy, D. and Vajoczki, S. (2012), Lessons learned: The McMaster inquiry story from innovation to institutionalization. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 2012: 93–104. doi: 10.1002/tl.20010
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2012
- Choose Your Own Inquiry! Lanham, Md.: University Press of America, 2008.
- Problem-based Learning—A Review of Literature on its Outcomes and Implementation Issues.” Academic Medicine, 1993, 68(1), 52–81. , and . “
- Skills Development with Students and Explicit Integration Across Four Years of the Curriculum. The Alan Blizzard Award Paper, Special Publication of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Toronto, 2005.
- Problem-based Learning: An Approach to Medical Education. New York: Springer, 1980. , and .
- The Reforming of General Education. New York: Columbia University Press, 1966.
- Boyer Commission on Educating Undergraduates in the Research University. Reinventing Undergraduate Education. A Blueprint for America's Research Universities. Stony Brook: State University of New York, 1998. Retrieved February 10, 2011, from http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/Pres/boyer.nsf/.
- Self-Direction for Lifelong Learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1991.
- Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education.” American Association for Higher Education Bulletin, 1987, 39(7), 3–7. Retrieved February 10, 2011, from http://www.aahea.org/bulletins/articles/sevenprinciples1987.htm. , and . “
- Thinking and Doing ‘Outside the Box’: Interdisciplinary Inquiry Learning Partnerships.” Research and Development in Higher Education, 2001a, 24, 15–22. , and others. “
- Critical Thinking Under Pressure: Does Inquiry Make a Difference?” Paper delivered at 21st Annual Conference of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Memorial University, St. Johns, Newfoundland, 2001b. , and others. “
- Teaching and the Art of Inquiry. Green Guide No. 3. Halifax, Nova Scotia: Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 2001. , and .
- Cross-cultural Simulation to Advance Student Inquiry.” Simulation & Gaming: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Theory, Practice and Research, 2004, 35(4), 476–487. , and others. “
- The Origins of Inquiry in McMaster's Arts and Science Program.” In C. Knapper (ed.), Proceedings from Experiences with Inquiry Learning. Hamilton, Ontario: McMaster University, 2007. “
- A Grammar for Inquiry: Linking Goals and Methods in a Collaboratively Taught Social Sciences Inquiry Course. The Alan Blizzard Award Paper, Special Publication of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Toronto, 2002. , and others.
- Inquiry in Higher Education: Reflections and Directions on Course Design and Teaching Methods.” Innovative Higher Education, 2007, 31(4), 201–214. , and others. “
- Taking an ‘Inquiry’ Course Makes a Difference: A Comparative Analysis of Student Learning.” Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 2007, 18(1), 57–77. , , , and . “
- Inquiry-based Learning in Higher Education: Administrators' Perspectives on Integrating Inquiry Pedagogy into the Curriculum.” Higher Education, 2009, 58, 841–855. , and others. “
- Self-Directed Learning. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 1975.
- Teaching Inquiry at McMaster: The Impact on the Instructor.” In C. Knapper (ed.), Experiences with Inquiry Learning: Proceedings of a Symposium at McMaster University. Hamilton, Ontario: Centre for Leadership in Learning, McMaster University, 2007. “
- McMaster University. Undergraduate Calendar. 1999–2000. Retrieved February 10, 2011, from http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/CALENDAR/PDF-Archive/McMaster_UG_Calendar-1999-2000web.pdf.
- Weaving Inquiry into the First-Year Experience: A Rope of Sand.” In C. Knapper (ed.), Proceedings from Experiences with Inquiry Learning. Hamilton, Ontario: McMaster University, 2007. “
- Developing Inquiry Skills with Undergraduate Students at McMaster 1999–2004: Ongoing Formative and Summative Evaluation for the Faculties of Science and Health Science. Unpublished PhD dissertation. Hamilton, Ontario: McMaster University, 2006.
- Inquiry Learning: Instructor Perspectives.” Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, forthcoming. , , and . “
- Inquiry Learning: Level, Discipline, Class Size, What Matters?” International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2011, 5(1). , , , and . “