Comparative effect of melatonin and vitamin E on phenylhydrazine-induced toxicity in the spleen of Funambulus pennanti
Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 1–9, February 2009
How to Cite
Sharma, S. and Haldar, C. (2009), Comparative effect of melatonin and vitamin E on phenylhydrazine-induced toxicity in the spleen of Funambulus pennanti. Environ. Toxicol., 24: 1–9. doi: 10.1002/tox.20383
- Issue published online: 3 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 7 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Received: 30 NOV 2007
- Inter University Accelerator Centre-University Grants Commission, New Delhi, India
- 1996. Neurohormone melatonin prevents cell damage: Effect on gene expression for antioxidant enzymes. FASEB J 10: 882–890. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Antioxidant activity: What do we measure? Acta Biochim Pol 46: 23–29. , .
- 2007. Phenylhydrazine heamatotoxicity. J Appl Biomed 5: 125–130. .
- 2005. Oxidant induced injury of erythrocyte—Role of green tea leaf and ascorbic acid. Mol Cell Biochem 276: 205–210. , , .
- 1997. Physiological melatonin inhibition of human breast cancer cell growth in vitro: Evidence for a glutathione-mediated pathway. Cancer Res 57: 1909–1914. , , .
- 1991. Iron and the liver. Am J Med Sci 301: 32–43. .
- 2000. A modified spectrophotometric assay of superoxide dismutase using nitrite formation by superoxide radicals. Indian J Biochem Biophys 37: 201–204. , , .
- 2001. Melatonin enhancement of splenocyte proliferation is attenuated by luzindole, a melatonin receptor antagonist. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 280: R1476–R1482. , , , .
- 1992. Iron release and membrane damage in erythrocytes exposed to oxidizing agents, phenylhydrazine, divicine and isouramil. Biochem J 285: 295–301. , , , .
- 1997. Release of free, redox-active iron in the liver and DNA oxidative damage following phenylhydrazine intoxication. Biochem Pharmacol 53: 1743–1751. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Melatonin involvement in immunity and cancer. Biol Signals Recept 7: 61–72. , , , .
- 2002. Erythropoietin restores the antitumor effectiveness of photodynamic therapy in mice with chemotherapy-induced anemia. Clin Cancer Res. 8: 1265–1270. , , , , , ,
- 2001. Search for antisense copies of beta-globin mRNA in anemic mouse spleen. BMC Biochem 2: 3–7. , .
- 2001. Relationship between the annual rhythms in melatonin and immune system status in the tropical palm squirrel,Funambulus pennanti. Chronobiol Int 18: 61–69. , , .
- 2004. Melatonin blocks dexamethasone induced immunosuppression in a seasonally breeding rodent Indian palm squirrel,Funambulus pennanti. Steroids 69: 367–377. , , .
- 2004. Endogenous and dietary indoles: A class of antioxidants and radical scavengers in the ABTS assay. Free Radic Res 38: 323–331. , .
- 1985. Role of free radical scavengers on phenylhydrazine induced hemolysis in rat. Acta Vitaminol Enzymol 7: 71–75. , , , .
- 2006. Melatonin in cancer management: Progress and promise. Cancer Res 66: 9789–9793. , .
- 2000. Melatonin reduces phenylhydrazine induced oxidative damage to cellular membranes: Evidence for the involvement of iron. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 32: 1045–1054. , , , .
- 2006. Acceptance criteria for levels of hydrazine in substances for pharmaceutical use and analytical methods for its determination. Pharmeur Sci Notes 2006: 23–33. , , , .
- 2000. Effect of pineal indoles on activities of the antioxidant defense enzymes superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione reductase, and levels of reduced and oxidized glutathione in rat tissues. Biochem Cell Biol 78: 447–453. , .
- 1989. Beta-endorphin and dinorphin mimic the circadian immunoenhancing and antistress effect of melatonin. Int Immunopharmacol 11: 333–340. , .
- 1998. Role of the pineal gland in immunity. III. Melatonin antagonizes the immunosuppressive effect of acute stress via an opiatergic mechanism. Immunology 63: 465–469. , , .
- 2002. Melatonin regulation of antioxidant enzyme gene expression. Cell Mol Life Sci 59: 1706–1713. , , , , , .
- 2005. Lipids versus proteins as major targets of pro-oxidant, direct-acting hemolytic agents. Toxicol Sci 88: 274–283. , , , , .
- 1983. Biochemical toxicology of hydrazines. In: HodgesonE,BendJR,PhilpotRM, editors. Reviews Biochemical Toxicology. New York: Elsevier. pp 313–346. , .
- 2000. Melatonin mediates seasonal changes in immune function. Ann NY Acad Sci 917: 404–415. , .
- 1978. Reaction of linoleic acid hydroperoxide with thiobarbituric acid. J Lipid Res 19: 1053–1057. , , .
- 1991. Inhibition of horse liver alcohol dehydrogenase and rabbit muscle lactate dehydrogenase by phenylhydrazine. Biomed Biochim Acta 50: 25–9. , , .
- 1981. DNA-damaging activity in vivo and bacterial mutagenicity of sixteen hydrazine derivatives as related quantitatively to their carcinogenicity. Cancer Res 41: 1469–1482. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The oncostatic action of melatonin in an ovarian carcinoma cell line. J Pineal Res 26: 129–136. , , , , , .
- 1994. Melatonin: A peroxyl radical scavenger more effective than vitamin E. Life Sci 55: 271–276. , , , , .
- 2003. Pineal control of immune status and hematological changes in blood and bone marrow of male squirrels (Funambulus pennanti) during their reproductively active phase. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 136: 319–328. , .
- 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231–1237. , , , , , .
- 1995. The role of the neurohormone melatonin as a buffer against macromolecular oxidative damage. Neurochem Int 27: 453–460. .
- 2003. Melatonin: A novel protective agent against oxidative injury of the ischemic/reperfused heart. Cardiovasc Res 58: 10–19. , .
- 2000. Actions of melatonin in the reduction of oxidative stress: A review. J Biomed Sci 7: 444–458. , , , .
- 2006. Estimated effects of hydrazine exposure on cancer incidence and mortality in aerospace workers. Epidemiology 17: 154–161. , , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of antioxidant enzymes: A significant role for melatonin. J Pineal Res 36: 1–9. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Melatonin and cell death: Differential actions on apoptosis in normal and cancer cells. Cell Mol Life Sci 60: 1407–1426. , , , , , .
- 1991. Pathomorphological changes in calf erythrocytes during phenylhydrazine-induced acute haemolytic anemia. Arch Exp Veterinarmed 5: 45–78. , , .
- 2000. Inhibition of malignant trophoblastic cell proliferation in vitro and in vivo by melatonin. Life Sci 67: 2059–2074. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Melatonin supplementation prevent exogenous testosterone induced suppression of immune parameters and splenocyte proliferation both in vivo and in vitro in Indian tropical bird,P. asiatica. Gen Comp Endocrinol 141: 226–232. , .
- 2002. Melatonin in immunity: Comparative aspects. Neuro Endocrinol Lett 23 (Suppl 1): 61–66. .
- 1985. Effect of hydrogen peroxide exposure on normal human erythrocyte deformability, morphology, surface characteristics and spectrin–hemoglobin cross-linking. J Clin Invest 76: 1971–1977. , , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Development of the embryonic chick phagocytic system: Intraembryonic erythrophagocytosis induced by phenylhydrazine. J Morphol 171: 183–194. , .
- 1993. Melatonin: A potent, endogenous hydroxyl radical scavenger. Endocrine J 1: 57–60. , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanistic and comparative studies of melatonin and classic antioxidants in terms of their interactions with their interactions with the ABTS cation radical. J Pineal Res 34: 249–259. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A review of the natural occurrence, synthetic production and use of carcinogenic hydrazines and related chemicals. In Vivo 14: 299–319. .
- 2006. Antiestrogens modulate MT1 melatonin receptor expression in breast and ovarian cancer cell lines. Oncology Rep 15: 231–235. , , .
- Reaction of phenylhydrazine with erythrocytes. 1984. Cross-linking of spectrin by disulfide exchange with oxidized hemoglobin. Biochem Pharmacol 33: 2739–2748. ,
- 2002. Study on the membrane shear elastic modul and viscosity of reticulocytes. Progr Biochem Biophys 29: 776–780. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The microrheological changes in the course of erythrocyte senescence after phenylhydrazine injection. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 28: 5–11. , , , , , .