Effects of decabromodiphenyl ether (BDE-209) on mRNA transcription of thyroid hormone pathway and spermatogenesis associated genes in Chinese rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus)
Article first published online: 7 SEP 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 1–9, January 2014
How to Cite
Li, W., Zhu, L., Zha, J. and Wang, Z. (2014), Effects of decabromodiphenyl ether (BDE-209) on mRNA transcription of thyroid hormone pathway and spermatogenesis associated genes in Chinese rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus). Environ. Toxicol., 29: 1–9. doi: 10.1002/tox.20767
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 7 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Received: 6 MAR 2011
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 20877089, 21007086
- The National Basic Research Program of China. Grant Number: 2007CB407304
- 2009. Exposure assessment of French women and their newborn to brominated flame retardants: Determination of tri- to deca-polybromodiphenylethers (PBDE) in maternal adipose tissue, serum, breast milk and cord serum. Environ Pollut 157:164–173. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Synergistic activation of estrogen receptor with combinations of environmental chemicals. Science 272:1489–1492. , , , , , .
- 1997. Synergy between synthetic oestrogens?Nature 385:494. , , , , , .
- 2002. Effects of perinatal exposure to a polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE 99) on mouse neurobehavioural development. Neurotoxicology 23:375–384. , , .
- 2010. Toxicity of penta- and decabromodiphenyl ethers after repeated administration to rats: A comparative study. Arch Toxicol 84:287–299. , , , .
- 2010. Chronic exposure of 2,2′,4,4′-tetrabromodiphenyl ether (PBDE-47) alters locomotion behavior in juvenile zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol 98:388–395. , , , , , .
- 2007. Developmental neurotoxicity of polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants. Neurotoxicology 28:1047–1067. , .
- 2006. Expression and identification of a novel apoptosis gene Spata17 (MSRG-11) in mouse spermatogenic cells. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 38:37–45. , , .
- 2010. Debrominated and methoxylated polybrominated diphenyl ether metabolites in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) after exposure to decabromodiphenyl ether. J Environ Sci 22:1425–1434. , , , , , .
- 2010. Distribution of polybrominated diphenyl ethers and decabromodiphenylethane in surface sediments from Fuhe River and Baiyangdian Lake, North China. J Environ Sci (China) 22:1833–1839. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Disruption of thyroid hormone receptor-mediated transcription and thyroid hormone-induced purkinje cell dendrite arborization by polybrominated diphenylethers. Environ Health Perspect 119:168–175. , , , , , .
- 2010. Developmental exposure to a commercial PBDE mixture, DE-71: Neurobehavioral, hormonal, and reproductive effects. Toxicol Sci 116:297–312. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Bioaccumulation and biotransformation of decabromodiphenyl ether and effects on daily growth in juvenile lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis). Ecotoxicology 19:751–760. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Developmental exposure to low dose PBDE 99: Effects on male fertility and neurobehavior in rat offspring. Environ Health Perspect 113:149–154. , , , .
- 2006. Detailed polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) congener composition of the widely used penta-, octa-, and deca-PBDE technical flame-retardant mixtures. Environ Sci Technol 40:6247–6254. , , .
- 2010. Evaluation of liver and thyroid toxicity in Sprague–Dawley rats after exposure to polybrominated diphenyl ether BDE-209. J Toxicol Sci 35:535–545. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Dietary exposure to 2,2′,4,4′-tetrabromodiphenyl ether (PBDE-47) alters thyroid status and thyroid hormone-regulated gene transcription in the pituitary and brain. Environ Health Perspect 116:1694–1699. , , , .
- 2010. Hormone activity of hydroxylated polybrominated diphenyl ethers on human thyroid receptor-beta: In vitro and in silico investigations. Environ Health Perspect 118:602–606. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Changes of thyroid hormone levels and related gene expression in Chinese rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus) during 3-amino-1,2,4-triazole exposure and recovery. Aquat Toxicol 92:50–57. , , , , , .
- 2011. Regulation of thyroid hormone related genes mRNA expression by exogenous T3 in larvae and adult Chinese rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus). Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 31:189–197. , , , , .
- 2005a. Cloning and characterization of zebra fish SPATA4 gene and analysis of its gonad specific expression. Biochemistry (Mosc) 70:638–644. , , , , .
- 2005b. Molecular cloning and bioinformatic analysis of SPATA4 gene. J Biochem Mol Biol 38:739–747. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and indicator polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in marine fish from four areas of China. Chemosphere 83:168–174. , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) method. Methods 25:402–408. , .
- 2005. Distribution of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in sediments of the Pearl River Delta and adjacent South China Sea. Environ Sci Technol 39:3521–3527. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Atmospheric input of POPs into Lake Maggiore (Northern Italy): PBDE concentrations and profile in air, precipitation, settling material and sediments. Chemosphere 73( Suppl 1):114–121. , , , , , , , .
- 2007a. Disruption of thyroid hormone binding to sea bream recombinant transthyretin by ioxinyl and polybrominated diphenyl ethers. Chemosphere 69:155–163. , , , .
- 2007b. Regulation of transthyretin by thyroid hormones in fish. Gen Comp Endocrinol 152:189–197. , , , .
- 2006. Oral exposure of PBDE-47 in fish: Toxicokinetics and reproductive effects in Japanese Medaka (Oryzias latipes) and fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas). Environ Sci Technol 40:523–528. , , , .
- 2011. Overexpression a novel zebra fish spermatogenesis-associated gene 17 (SPATA17) induces apoptosis in GC-1 cells. Mol Biol Rep 38:3945–3952. , , .
- 2005. Thyroid hormone deiodination in fish. Thyroid 15:799–813. , .
- 2010. Thyroid disruption by technical decabromodiphenyl ether (DE-83R) at low concentrations in Xenopus laevis. J Environ Sci (China) 22:744–751. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants. Sci Total Environ 275:1–17. , , , .
- 2002. Comparisons of PBDE composition and concentration in fish collected from the Detroit River, MI and Des Plaines River, IL. Chemosphere 49:731–737. , , , , .
- 2011. Species-specific differences and structure–activity relationships in the debromination of PBDE congeners in three fish species. Environ Sci Technol 45:1999–2005. , , , .
- 2008. Molecular biomarkers of endocrine disruption in small model fish. Mol Cell Endocrinol 293:57–70. , .
- 2009. Effects of perinatal PBDE exposure on hepatic phase I, phase II, phase III, and deiodinase 1 gene expression involved in thyroid hormone metabolism in male rat pups. Toxicol Sci 107:27–39. , , , , , .
- 2006. Postnatal exposure of the male mouse to 2,2′,3,3′,4,4′,5,5′,6,6′-decabrominated diphenyl ether: Decreased epididymal sperm functions without alterations in DNA content and histology in testis. Toxicology 224:33–43. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Developmental exposure to decabromodiphenyl ether(PBDE 209): Effects on thyroid hormone and hepatic enzyme activity in male mouse offspring. Chemosphere 70:640–647. , , , , , , .
- 2008. A 28-day oral dose toxicity study enhanced to detect endocrine effects of a purified technical pentabromodiphenyl ether (pentaBDE) mixture in Wistar rats. Toxicology 245:109–122. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Changes in spontaneous behaviour and altered response to nicotine in the adult rat, after neonatal exposure to the brominated flame retardant, decabrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE 209). Neurotoxicology 28:136–142. , , .
- 2008. Bioaccumulation of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in wild aquatic species from an electronic waste (e-waste) recycling site in South China. Environ Int 34:1109–1113. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in biota and sediments of the Pearl River Estuary, South China. Environ Toxicol Chem 26:616–623. , , , , , .
- 2010. Exposure to DE-71 alters thyroid hormone levels and gene transcription in the hypothalamic–pituitary–thyroid axis of zebrafish larvae. Aquat Toxicol 97:226–233. , , , , , .
- 2007. Histological alternation and vitellogenin induction in adult rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus) after exposure to ethynylestradiol and nonylphenol. Chemosphere 66:488– 495. , , , .
- 2008. Assessment of 17alpha-ethinylestradiol effects and underlying mechanisms in a continuous, multigeneration exposure of the Chinese rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus). Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 226:298–308. , , , , , .